1. “Emotional Sobriety is for people who are trying to live a balanced life or attempting to understand what relationship trauma is all about.” – Tian Dayton Ph.D
2. A big turning point for me was deciding that I wanted maximum responsibility over my life. I no longer wanted to spend the next day recovering from a hangover.
3. “Love is a mutual self-giving which ends in self-recovery.” — Fulton J. Sheen
4. “I’ve never met an alcoholic in recovery who doesn’t believe that this is the best thing they have ever done.” — Adam Clayton
5. As impossible as the withdrawal process may seem, it is a necessary obstacle to overcome. For instance, intense heroin withdrawal symptoms usually last for about 5 to 7 days, although others may experience post-acute withdrawal syndrome in the following weeks and months (PAWS). You should also keep in mind that detoxing alone can be dangerous. You or your loved one may require medical support depending on the substance and the severity of the addiction, so it is always best to speak with trained professionals rather than going “cold turkey” alone. Facing this first obstacle is a necessary step to getting clean. The only way you will be able to recover is if you continue forward despite how impossible the end goal may seem at the moment.
6. Positive thinking does not mean that there are zero problems, but it means that you can cope and recover more easily, while at the same time you are able to look at a brighter side of any situation. John Franz
7. “I chose sober because I wanted a better life. I stay sober because I got one’ – Unknown
8. However you decide to say “Congrats on your sobriety!”, the most important thing is to just say it in the first place. Your loved one has worked their butts off to get to where they are today, and an acknowledgement of all their hard work will definitely be appreciated and treasured. And it’ll keep them going strong through to their next sobriety anniversary.
9. Recovering from addiction is not easy, but these sobriety quotes will inspire you to stay strong and motivated.
10. You recover by creating a new life where it is easier to not use substances
11. Moreover, hardships, experience and previous failures may have led you to believe your current path is the only one available to you. If your parents were dependent on drugs and alcohol, for instance, you may believe you were destined for the same future. And while children of parents with substance use disorders may be more likely to face the same struggle, they are also capable of recovering from addiction and living a fulfilled life. Recovery challenges a person to examine their current ways of thinking and open themselves up to new possibilities. Choosing to recover from addiction is one example of the power you hold in deciding your own destiny.
12. “Become addicted to constant and never-ending self-improvement.” ―Anthony J. D’Angelo
13. Addiction, by its very nature, is a type of mental, physical, and emotional bondage. Addicts often find themselves spending too much time and money feeding their habit, to the detriment of other aspects of their life. Sobriety gives you your freedom back, Dr. Heinzerling says. (Check out these eye-opening revelations on overcoming alcoholism.)
14. Self-love is not a feature of alcohol and drug abuse. Part of the real work in sobriety is learning to love ourselves.
15. My recovery from drug addiction is the single greatest accomplishment of my life
16. The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one.
17. My only addiction is antique vehicles.
18. Lord I come before you today I need your healing power to heal my loved one – that he may recover from a successful surgery. I beg for your mercy oh Lord to give him the patience and endurance to surpass all the pain he is having right now. I pray to you most gracious and almighty God that he may get better and will be back on his normal life. In your name I pray amen.
19. “It is often in the darkest skies that we see the brightest stars.” – Richard Evans
20. Chris Elkins worked as a journalist for three years and was published by multiple newspapers and online publications. Since 2015, he’s written about health-related topics, interviewed addiction experts and authored stories of recovery. Chris has a master’s degree in strategic communication and a graduate certificate in health communication.
21. Don’t forget to also check out these recovery and addiction quotes to help you heal.
22. “At first, addiction is maintained by pleasure, but the intensity of the pleasure gradually diminishes and addiction is then maintained by the avoidance of pain.” - Frank Tallis, psychologist
23. Words have power! Whether written or spoken, it can drastically change how we perceive reality. They crystallize our beliefs and drive our behavior—including helping and inspiring us to heal in the case of positive self-affirmation. 101 Sobriety Quotes or words of encouragement might help any of your loved ones struggling with addiction.
24. When you recover or discover something that nourishes your soul and brings joy, care enough about yourself to make room for it in your life. - Jean Shinoda Bolen.
25. “My recovery from drug addiction is the single greatest accomplishment of my life… but it takes work — hard, painful work.” — Jamie Lee Curtis
26. Changing your life for the better is not easy. It is normal to be afraid. However, too many people allow their fear of failing to stop them from trying in the first place. If you let your fear stop you, it is certain that you will never succeed. Recovery can be a scary process, and it is okay to recognize that. It will force you and your loved ones to get to the core of what caused the addiction in the first place, allowing for healing. This may mean digging up painful memories and addressing issues you or your loved one have tried to avoid for a long time.
27. “We should be open to change to ensure that our addiction to life always remains under check.” – Dr. Prem Jagyasi
28. Congratulations on your sustained sobriety!
"29. In April 2013, after a particularly brutal hangover, I looked at the calendar and realized I had exactly six months to go until I turned 30. Suddenly, the idea of taking my problem drinking with me into the next decade seemed incredibly sad and depressing.
In my previous, half-hearted attempts at quitting, I’d always white-knuckled it by myself and spent the whole time feeling miserable, annoyed, and lost in my own head. This time, I spent a lot of time reading books, listening to podcasts, and trying to educate myself about alcohol and addiction. I started writing a blog and reached out to other sober bloggers. Those small steps made such a difference, as I began to meet people who were sober and—shockingly—really enjoying life!"
30. “The great thing in this world is not so much where you stand, as in what direction you are moving.”― Oliver Wendell Holmes
31. “It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.” – Confucius
32. When you recover or discover something that nourishes your soul and brings joy, care enough about yourself to make room for it in your life.
33. My Addiction Does Not Define Who I Will Be! -Lisa Renee Barnes Lampros
34. If you are on the road to recovery from a drug or alcohol addiction, you have something to celebrate about. Reminiscing on your positive recovery progress by reading the inspirational road to recovery quotes is a terrific way to stay motivated and optimistic about your success.
35. “Become addicted to constant and never-ending self-improvement.” ― Anthony J. D’Angelo
36. Sometimes the hardest part on the sobriety journey is just getting started. Making the decision to get help, to make real changes, and to commit to those changes is never easy. Acknowledge this important step and thank your sober friend or family member for making that life-changing decision.
37. Let’s celebrate your years of sobriety! Your accomplishments amaze me. Think of all that you’ve done since your sober birthday.
38. “When you recover or discover something that nourishes your soul and brings joy, care enough about yourself to make room for it in your life.”―Jean Shinoda Bolen
39. “Recovery is hard. Regret is harder.” Take a look at our inpatient program.
40. I absolutely agree with Harrington’s sentiment here: people are capable of making fundamental changes in their lives. If you aren’t happy with who you are, you can work to grow, including overcoming your addiction.
41. “My recovery from manic depression has been an evolution, not a sudden miracle.” – Patty Duke
42. "Yes, I'm drunk. And you're beautiful. And tomorrow morning, I'll be sober but you'll still be beautiful.. – The Dreamers
43. “Your best days are ahead of you. The movie starts when the guy gets sober and puts his life back together; it doesn’t end there.” ~ Bucky Sinister
44. “Have patience with all things, but chiefly have patience with yourself. Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections, but instantly set about remedying them – every day, begin the task anew.” – Saint Francis de Sales
45. Our addiction treatment multidisciplinary team (MDT) consists of leading consultant psychiatrists, nurses and therapists who are all specially trained in addiction. They are supported by clinical psychologists, trauma therapists, counselling psychologists and psychotherapists ensuring that we deliver specialised, evidence-based treatments.
46. “Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.” – Mark Twain
47. Whether you have been sober for a few days or many years, it takes a great deal of strength to admit that you have a problem and address it head on. Remember to acknowledge even seemingly small accomplishments in recovery, because they only provide further proof of your courage.
48. Our expert team is highly skilled in treating all addictions, such as alcohol addiction, drug addiction (including amphetamine, benzodiazepine, cannabis, cocaine, codeine, ecstasy, heroin, inhalants, opiates and prescription drug addictions) and behavioural addictions (such as technology, gambling, sex and love, co-dependency).
49. “Never underestimate a recovering addict. We fight for our lives every day in ways most people will never understand. “(Anonymous)
50. Dear God, We feel wounded, betrayed, and brokenhearted. We wonder sometimes if we can ever fully recover from the deep hurt we feel inside. Thank you that you know what we’ve been through and the struggles we still carry. Help us to forgive. Help us to let go. We know that we can move forward with you in peace and freedom. We pray for those who have hurt us right now, and ask for your power to work mightily within their lives. We leave them in your hands and find our comfort and strength in your spirit.
51. “The only honest measure of your success is what you are doing compared to your true potential.” – Paul J. Meyer
52. ‘I’m not telling you it is going to be easy, I’m telling you it’s going to be worth it’
53. ” ~ John Ciardi
54. man struggling with addiction being comforted by a female companion
55. “I’ve been sober now for a couple of years and I’m taking my sobriety very seriously – one day at a time and I am moving forward in my career.” ― Daniel Baldwin
56. Quotes tagged as "sobriety" Showing 31-60 of 141
57. tags: alcohol, connection, drugs, happiness, incubus, intimacy, party, partying, random, sex, sex-appeal, sober, sobriety, soul, soulmates, spiritual, spirituality, strangers, time32 likesLike
58. Sober companion - Sober companion, sober coach, or recovery coach are titles all representing the same job in the field of addiction, providing one-on-one assistance to
59. “When trust is broken, there is not any medicine to recover that again, as it was before, even you try hard to gain back” – Ehsan Sehgal
60. Overcoming the power of addiction is no easy achievement. Every day can be a struggle against inner turmoil and outside pressures influencing you. Sometimes, it helps to hear motivational quotes about willpower and finding the strength to overcome any challenge, no matter how great.
61. “The hardest thing you can do is smile when you are ill, in pain, or depressed. But this no-cost remedy is a necessary first half-step if you are to start on the road to recovery.” – Allen Klein
62. For gin, in cruel sober truth, supplies the fuel for flaming youth.
63. Everyday Power ⋅ Inspirational Quotes ⋅ Sobriety Quotes About Recovery and Addiction
64. “I wrote this book to show you that a cure is entirely possible because I’ve seen it happen over and over again.”
65. More than any other American sport, baseball creates the magnetic, addictive illusion that it can almost be understood. — Thomas Boswell.
66. ‘Sometimes when in a dark place you think you’ve been buried, when actually you’ve been planted.’ – Christine Caine
67. I know you’re tired, I know you feel like giving up, but you’re not going to. You know why? Because you are strong, and when you’re survived through all the shit your addiction has but you through, you can survive recovery.
68. “I’ve always believed clear-eyed sobriety was for the harder hearted.” ― Gillian Flynn
69. “Secrecy, once accepted, becomes an addiction.” — Edward Teller
70. “I wanted a drink [because] I didn’t want to feel what I was feeling, and a voice within was telling me that I needed a drink, that I couldn’t bear it without it. But that voice is a liar. You can always bear the pain. It’ll hurt, it’ll burn like acid in an open wound, but you can stand it. And, as long as you can make yourself go on choosing the pain over the relief, you can keep going.” ― Lawrence Block, author of Out on the Cutting Edge
71. “We know that children who grow up with absent fathers can suffer lasting damage. They are more likely to end up in poverty or drop out of school, become addicted to drugs, have a child out of wedlock, or end up in prison. Fatherlessness is not the only cause of these things, but our nation must recognize it is an important factor.” – George W. Bush
72. “My Recovery must come first so that everything I love in life does not have to come last.” — Unknown
73. My recovery from manic depression has been an evolution, not a sudden miracle.
74. “Happy Soberversary! One quarter of a year has gone by in your sobriety. You are so deserving of a happy and healthy life. Congratulations on your sustained sobriety! Keep working those steps, and I’ll keep cheering you on.” (13)
75. “Recovery didn’t open the gates of heaven and let me in. Recovery opened the gates of hell and let me out.” — Unknown
76. ‘When I focus on whats good today, I have a good day. When I focus on whats bad, I have a bad day. If I focus on the problem, the problem increases. If I focus on the answer, the answer increases.’ – Big book of Alcoholics Anonymous quote
77. “If you can quit for a day, you can quit for a lifetime.” — Benjamin Alire Sáenz
78. “Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson“Hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extraordinary destiny.” – C.S. Lewis
79. “When you recover or discover something that nourishes your soul and brings joy, care enough about yourself to make room for it in your life.” - Jean Shinoda Bolen, source unknown
80. All the pathos and irony of leaving one’s youth behind is thus implicit in every joyous moment of travel: one knows that the first joy can never be recovered, and the wise traveler learns not to repeat successes but tries new places all the time. – Paul Fussell
81. “Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.” – Carl Bard
82. “People are not addicted to alcohol or drugs, they are addicted to escaping reality.” ~ Anonymous
83. “I’m so happy to celebrate this moment with you on your journey!”
84. If you are in a relationship with an addict, you may struggle to understand why your partner continues to use, despite the negative consequences. Unfortunately, by the time a person exhibits symptoms of addiction, it may be too late to simply stop using. Drugs and alcohol can actually hijack important areas of the brain including the prefrontal cortex. This part of the brain that helps us recognize the dangers of addictive substances and make decisions.
85. “Emotional sobriety is about finding and maintaining our emotional equilibrium, our feeling rheostat, the one that helps us to adjust the intensity of our emotional responses to life.” – Tian Dayton Ph.D
86. Also, if you are struggling with addiction right now, you can reach out to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.
87. “One of the hardest things was learning that I was worth recovery.” – Demi Lovato
88. For more information about the addiction services that Ocean Recovery offer, download our brochure.
89. “The mentality and behavior of drug addicts and alcoholics is wholly irrational until you understand that they are completely powerless over their addiction and unless they have structured help, they have no hope.” – Russel Brand
90. Stay up to date with the latest from "Exploring Sobriety." Take a look.
91. “People with good emotional sobriety take responsibility for maintaining their own good mood. They don’t blame other people for the mood they are in and they don’t wait for someone else to change before they let themselves feel better. They know that like attracts like” – Tian Dayton Ph.D
92. While using substances may take away our inhibitions and anxieties, it also dulls wonderful parts of ourselves. Drugs and alcohol become a central part of an addict’s life over loved ones, careers, personal interests and other passions. Recovery gives us a chance to learn to live without substances while embracing what makes us unique. Rather than putting a bandaid over a gaping wound, recovery helps us address these issues head on and heal. Those in addiction recovery work to accept the parts of themselves they may have obscured with drugs and alcohol. This can lead to wonderful things and many new adventures. When we are able to accept ourselves without relying on substances, we have the opportunity to learn who we truly are and what we want in life.
93. Being sober delivered almost everything drinking promised. -Anne Lamott
94. Related To Sober Quotations
95. “With self-discipline most anything is possible.” – Theodore Roosevelt
96. John Gillen - Director at Ocean Recovery
97. “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can’t achieve it.” – Jordan Belfort
98. Addiction Quotes, Quotes / October 23, 2022
99. My wish is for you to recover soon from your surgery so that I can have a look at that beautiful smile.
100. These feelings, no matter how painful, are part of living. Today, we are alive—not anesthetized, not sedated, not passed out. Take control of your feelings and through action you can change. Today, as every day of sober living, we have a choice. – Ann D. Clark
101. “Get in touch with your intuition. The answers are inside if we have a process to be introspective.” – Dr. Herby Bell
"102. That statement hit me like a ton of bricks, and I knew in my heart it was true. I made a decision on that day that I would not drink until further notice. I had no idea at that time how long that would be, but I knew I had to try something I’d never tried before, which was cutting out drugs and alcohol completely from my life.
When I got back to Cancun, I began reading about alcohol use disorder and educated myself on why I drank. I started a blog about my sobriety and began forming connections with others through the online recovery community. A year into my sobriety, I tried 12-step meetings, and I also found meditation and CrossFit to be helpful. Every good thing I have in my life is a direct result of choosing recovery every single day.” — Kelly F., 32, sober for four years"
103. Sobriety and health is the greatest thing.
104. “Ya think that the whiskey tastes good? Try a big cup of sobriety—now that is the good stuff!” ― Steven Tyler
105. "I still struggle. Daily. There are periods of time where I forget about my food struggles and other times it’s all I think about. Still. But that is what [eating disorder] recovery looks like for some people and I still have hope that someday I won’t think about it anymore."— Demi Lovato
106. At We Level Up inpatient drug and alcohol rehab facility in NJ, we know that recovering from addiction can be challenging. As the year comes to an end, it can be challenging to stay sober. However, these 101 Sobriety Quotes may be able to help. Read them aloud or put them somewhere where you will see them frequently. These alcohol addiction quotes can significantly impact your path to recovery.
107. “We fall. We break. We fail. But then, we rise. We heal. We overcome.” – Unknown
108. “The fact that you woke up this morning is proof that this day has already been a success…”
109. Recovery In Tune
110. Nova Recovery Logo - Drug and Alcohol Rehab Hospital in Scotland
111. Everything stems from who we are which is why the process of recovery improves us as human beings.
112. I’m so happy to be here to congratulate you on the drastically different life you’ve built-in recovery. Five years is a big deal!
113. “Congratulations on making it another year and being so persistent. You are a bright light to new comers coming into the program. The service you provide within the program does not go unnoticed. Grateful for how much you have helped me.”
114. “Getting sober was one of the three pivotal events in my life, along with becoming an actor and having a child. Of the three, finding my sobriety was the hardest thing.”
115. “The strength to sustain recovery can only come from the addict understanding and defining his circle of influence, from recognising that there are factors over which he can exert authority and control, and from taking responsibility for the outcome of his actions.” (Morteza Khaleghi)
116. “Your addiction to daily distraction denies you of effectiveness.”― Bernard Kelvin Clive
117. tags: addiction, emptiness, hunger, need, sobriety1 likesLike
118. Sobriety will force you to deal with the reasons behind your alcoholism. This might seem obvious, but when you consider that most of us did not start drinking to fix a problem, it’s no wonder that this reality alludes us.
119. “Every day is a new day. No need to dwell on the past. Look straight ahead.” – Saint Charlotte
120. “My name must be addictive because these people can't live without my name in their mouths.”
121. No one is ever too broken, too scarred or too far-gone to recover. If you keep on fighting, then anything’s possible.
122. “With time the pain eases, the body recovers and the brain figures out new ways to go on.” —Federico Chini
123. recovery quotes 8
124. Probably it's a bit of both. The question must not be greeted with reflex hysteria but decided quietly, soberly and on its own merits. We need less emotion and more thought.
125. You will feel things like worry, struggle, boredom, anger, and even grief on your journey to recovery.
126. “I look at autism like a bus accident, and you don’t become cured from a bus accident, but you can recover.” — Jenny McCarthy
127. Lord, please heal my broken heart. Fill me with the peace and joy I know can only come from You during this hard time. Walk closely beside me during my journey to healing and recovery that I know is possible through Your power alone. In Jesus’ Name, Amen. - Tracie Miles
128. Drug Addiction Quotes
129. “If you really want to do something, you’ll find a way. If you don’t, you’ll find an excuse.” – Jim Rohn
130. “You’ve accomplished more in 9 years than most have in their lifetime. I am in awe of your magical strength! Happy 9th Sobriety Birthday! I love you!!”
131. Paul celebrates three years of sobriety
132. Top-rated We Level Up Treatment Center Renowned Dual-Diagnosis Alcohol, Drug Addiction & Mental Health Rehab Recovery Programs.
133. “First, Resolve upon, and daily endeavour to practise, a life of seriousness and strict sobriety.”
134. “There is a fine balance between honoring the past and losing yourself in it. For example, you can acknowledge and learn from mistakes you made, and then move on and refocus on the now. It is called forgiving yourself.” – Eckhart Tolle
135. “I guess the worst day I have had was when I had to stand up in rehab in front of my wife and daughter and say, ‘Hi, my name is Sam, and I am an addict.” – Samuel J. Jackson
136. Know this, though: It is possible to get sober and stay sober long-term. A 2014 survey of more than 6,000 Alcoholics Anonymous members, found that over 27 percent reported being sober for up to a year, 24 percent were sober one to five years, 27 percent made it five to 20 years, and 22 percent said they had been sober for more than 20 years.
137. It is never easy seeing a dear friend undergo a hard time. Finally, I can smile a little, your surgery was okay and now I look forward to seeing you recover fully.
138. tags: discipleship, leadership, persuasion, seriousness, sobriety6 likesLike
139. “Even though a number of people have tried, no one has yet found a way to drink for a living.”
140. There are people with a shitty personality when both sober and drunk. These people are assholes, but they don’t have problems. If you’re cool when you’re sober but you’ve lost friendships while intoxicated, you have a drinking problem.
141. “Every experience in your life is being orchestrated to teach you something you need to know to move forward.” – Brian Tracy
142. “The culture of shame is driven by fear, blame, and disconnection, and it is often a powerful incubator for issues like perfectionism, stereotyping, gossiping, and addiction.”
143. tags: alcoholics, alcoholism, alcoholism-addiction-recovery, jackson-lamb, mantra, recovering-addict, recovering-alcoholism, recovery-quotes, sober-living, sobriety3 likesLike
144. “I understood, through rehab, things about creating characters. I understood that creating whole people means knowing where we come from, how we can make a mistake and how we overcome things to make ourselves stronger.” – Samuel L. Jackson
145. Ocean Recovery Centre
146. “It always seems impossible until it’s done.”– Nelson Mandela, South African political leader, philanthropist and revolutionary
147. Sobriety quotes from “How to know if you have a drinking problem”
148. “There is a place in this movement for everybody, whether you just want to share your story at a school, share your story with your neighbor or you want to speak to your legislator about how important supporting addiction recovery is for our communities.” – Greg Williams
149. tags: alcohol, fun, sobriety2 likesLike
150. Sobriety forces you to confront whatever your alcoholism was hiding.
151. Sobriety really gives people a fresh perspective on themselves, helping you see exactly how much alcohol was playing a role in your life. Finding out who you really are, without drinking, is one of the scariest and most beneficial parts of recovery, Dr. Heinzerling says.
152. “When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hang on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.” – Harriet Beecher Stowe
153. What Drew Barrymore Learned From Getting Sober
154. I look to you for inspiration all the time, and this anniversary of your sobriety is no exception. Congratulations on your huge milestone!
155. Drug Addiction AssessmentDrug Addiction
156. Related: How To Achieve Emotional Sobriety? (+FREE Emotional Sobriety Worksheets)
157. “Baby steps are key–baby steps and lots and lots of praise.” – Erica Spiegelman
158. You will recover, you will heal from this sadness, there is always some hope in the hopeless.
159. “Education gives sobriety to the young, comfort to the old, riches to the poor and is an ornament to the rich.” ― Diogenes
160. “Perfectionism is a self-destructive and addictive belief system that fuels this primary thought: If I look perfect. and do everything perfectly. I can avoid or minimize the painful feelings of shame. judgment. and blame.”
161. living sober quotes
162. During recovery from addiction, there are often times when we need a boost to start our day or give us motivation to keep on going. During these times, we may turn to spiritual practices or sobriety quotes for some inspiration.
163. People drink after a hard day. They also drink to celebrate. This ritual inadvertently breeds addiction. You have now hijacked your “emotional tolerance.”
164. Addiction doesn’t only affect you. It also has a profound impact on your family, especially if you have children. If you need an extra kick to get sober, here are some motivating addiction recovery quotes.
165. “For me, it’s not necessarily interesting to play a strong, fearless woman. It’s interesting to play a woman who is terrified and then overcomes that fear. It’s about the journey. Courage is not the absence of fear, it’s overcoming it.” – Natalie Dormer
166. I’m not addicted to coffee. We’re just in a committed relationship.
167. “Cancer recovery is hard work. Life is hard work. And it really pays off. Hang in there.” — Helen Szablya
168. It can be difficult to understand why an addict continues to use drugs, when they may have destroyed that same person’s intimate relationships, family, friends, finances, and life overall. Stockholm Syndrome is a great way to describe the control addiction has despite the devastation it causes. Although this is not one the love and addiction quotes that directly refers to romantic relationships, it can provide insight to a loved one on why it is not so easy to just quit.
169. “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” – Albert Einstein
170. “What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.” – Antoine de Saint-Exupery
171. Best Addiction Recovery Quotes for Those Trying to Get Sober
172. Active Recovery
173. “My brother is one of my true heroes. Steady and sober where I am impulsive and emotional.” – Mark McKinnon
174. Recovery is an acceptance that your life is in shambles and you have to change.
175. I Couldn’t Reason My Way Out of Addiction
176. “Have an amazing AA birthday. You deserve to be happy and healthy today and every day thereafter.”
177. This also means recognizing that addiction is in fact a disease, not a moral failure. Rather than blaming yourself for your addiction, be kind to yourself. Do not feel bad if you were unable to achieve sobriety on your own. You may not yet possess the tools to do so, but treatment you can develop these tools. Treatment offers structure and accountability, increasing the odds of remaining sober. Moreover, programs teach healthier ways of coping, dealing with conflict, and responding to triggers.
178. Going from a life of drinking to a life in recovery from alcoholism can be challenging.
179. Amanda is a prolific medical content writer specializing in eating disorders and addiction treatment. She graduated Magnum Cum Laude from Purdue University with a B.S. in Social Work. As a person in recovery from disordered eating, she is passionate about seeing people heal and transform. She writes for popular treatment centers such as Ocean Recovery, Ascendant NY, The Heights Treatment, Infinite Recovery, New Waters Recovery, Recovery Unplugged and adolescent mental health treatment center BasePoint Academy. In her spare time she loves learning about health, nutrition, meditation, spiritual practices, and enjoys being the a mother of a beautiful daughter.
180. ” ~David Brainerd
181. “Congratulations on 60 whole days of sobriety and going strong. Keep up the good work. You got this.” (45)
182. “We should be open to change to ensure that our addiction to life always remains under check.”― Dr. Prem Jagyasi
183. Portions of this article were adapted from the book Emotional sobriety, © 2007 by Tian Dayton Ph.D. All rights reserved.
184. Midwood Addiction Treatment
185. Home » 101 Sobriety Quotes To Inspire You For Effective Recovery
186. “You are the only true love in my life; the best thing to ever happen to me is having you as my husband. I am addicted to your love, and thank you for loving me.”
187. The Grammy-winning singer has no trouble putting sobriety first.
188. Everything will turn out well and in no time you will be back to your normal life. May God bless you! I wish you a quick recovery.
189. "At school, I was only allowed four sweets every Wednesday, so I’ve developed an addiction.” — Trinny Woodall
190. Staying motivated in sobriety
191. “Sobriety diminishes, discriminates, and says no; drunkenness expands, unites, and says yes. Not through mere perversity do men run after it.” ― William James
192. Home News Alcohol Addiction All Time Top 20 Addiction Recovery Quotes
193. “Good emotional sobriety reflects a well-balanced limbic system. The limbic system is the mind/body system that governs our mood, emotional tone, appetite, and sleep cycles, to name just a few of its wide-ranging functions.” – Tian Dayton Ph.D
194. “When I got sober, I thought giving up was saying goodbye to all the fun and all the sparkle, and it turned out to be just the opposite. That’s when the sparkle started for me.” — Mary Karr
195. “A champion is defined not by their wins but by how they can recover when they fall.”
196. “It doesn’t matter how slowly you go as long as you don’t stop.” – Confucius
197. Inspirational Quotes To Help You With Addiction Recovery
198. “An addict is someone who uses their body to tell society that something is wrong.” - Stella Adler, actress
199. When we want to say so much yet don’t have the character count to say it all, sometimes the best solution is to add a quote that sums it all up. Here are some of our favorite quotes to send on a sobriety anniversary:
200. “When you can stop, you don’t want to, and when you to stop, you can’t.” — Luke Davies
201. “Relax. Breathe. It takes time, but there is a great joy to be had in moments of every day. Just remember, you’re learning new steps, a new dance.” – Lisa Frederiksen
202. “Push up your sleeve, then, there’s a good fellow,” Thomas said, seating himself on the arm of Matthew’s chair. “Let’s wake you up and James can tell us whatever mad thing he has planned.”
203. tags: broms-the-poet, courage, poetry, quote, recovery, sobriety2 likesLike
204. “[Without sobriety] I would never be sitting here with you, no way, no chance. I never would have been able to have the relationships that I do. I never would have been able to take care of my father the way I did when he was sick. So many things." - Bradley Cooper, actor and filmmaker
205. I wish you a fast recovery after successful surgery and may you have good health forever!
206. At Ocean Recovery Centre, we believe ‘living in recovery’ isn’t something you ‘do’. It’s more about something that you ‘are’. Recovery quotes to fuel your ‘identity’ as someone ‘living in recovery’ and also help you avoid relapse after undertaking drug and alcohol rehab treatment.
207. Why Anthony Hopkins Has Stayed Sober for 45 Years
208. Motivational Recovery Quotes To Help You On Recovery Journey
209. “After moving from Texas to Florida at age 15, I was naturally searching for new friends. Drinking seemed to be my ticket into the ‘cool kids’ crew. Mixed with just the right amount of curiosity and boredom, this quickly led to binge drinking and using harder drugs. By the time I was 21, I was addicted to alcohol and cocaine.
210. Here are my 10 favorite sobriety quotes I find most inspiring. Have a look!
211. As Russel Brand quite aptly puts it, structured support is required for a person suffering from addiction to get well. This support may come in the form of attending recovery groups such as Smart Recovery or mutual aid support groups such as Alcoholics Anonymous.
212. “An aim in life is the only fortune worth finding, and it is not to be found in foreign lands, but in the heart itself.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
213. “Everything must be carried out in extreme sobriety.”
214. Motivational sobriety quotes and inspirational recovery quotes can help to direct our thinking to a more useful and purposeful one, they can also help to guide an already positive outlook.
215. Sobriety is a windy road with many ups and downs. It’s how we navigate those down times that will determine our success or failures. If your sober brother or sister has faced some tough times recently yet still pushed through like a champ, make a point to point that out. Every battle won is a battle worth remembering.
216. Sobriety Anniversary Quotes for Those Who are Just Getting Started
217. Did these motivational sobriety quotes help you reframe your thoughts?
218. ‘It began to feel as if I were living two lives—only one of which I could remember'
220. If you’re working on getting your life right and free from the grips of alcohol or substance abuse, you will have some tough days. You’ll need a quick pick-me-up or reminder of why you’re doing this. That’s why I put together these inspirational quotes to get recovering addicts through the tough days.
221. I’ve written about many of these celebrities in the past, and below I’ve collected some of the quotes that I found most interesting and motivational. I’ve also included links to my old write-ups, so that you can learn more about each celebrity’s experiences with sobriety.
222. Dr Anshul Swami named lead consultant for addictionsLATEST NEWS
223. “Happy 10th Sobriety Birthday! You are a charismatic and tenacious sparkle unicorn who goes out there and conquers without looking back. I am proud of all you accomplished and all you will achieve. You’re an amazing sister, and an even better aunt!”
224. “The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.” – Alice Walker
225. “I hated every minute of training, but I said, ‘Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.” — Muhammad Ali
226. “The priority of any addict is to anaesthetize the pain of living to ease the passage of day with some purchased relief.” — Russell Brand
227. “I am not defined by my relapses, but by my decision to remain in recovery despite them.” – Anonymous
228. Addiction Helpline (855) 505-1991
229. “I’m pregnant, which means I’m sober, swollen, and hungry. Approach with caution.” — Unknown
230. “Getting sober is a radically creative act.” – Meredith Bell
231. On building new habits in sobriety:
232. Without a fun-loving, awesome colleague like you, our team lunches are going to be more sober and less fun. Good luck with your future endeavors.
233. Addiction treatment is about rising from where we were and constantly reaching for higher.
234. This decision often comes about because of an addiction that is negatively affecting their lives.
235. The goal isn’t to be sober. The goal is to love yourself so much that you don’t need to drink.
236. “Dearest, I feel certain that I am going mad again. I feel we can't go through another of those terrible times. And I shan't recover this time. I begin to hear voices, and I can't concentrate. So I am doing what seems the best thing to do. You have given me the greatest possible happiness. You have been in every way all that anyone could be. I don't think two people could have been happier 'til this terrible disease came. I can't fight any longer. I know that I am spoiling your life, that without me you could work. And you will I know. You see I can't even write this properly. I can't read. What I want to say is I owe all the happiness of my life to you. You have been entirely patient with me and incredibly good. I want to say that – everybody knows it. If anybody could have saved me it would have been you. Everything has gone from me but the certainty of your goodness. I can't go on spoiling your life any longer. I don't think two people could have been happier than we have been. V.”
237. Shopping Addiction
238. “They say getting sober in AA is simple, but not easy. Just like winning the lottery, I guess.”
239. “Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out.” – Robert Collier
240. Once you’re sober, you can see the problems that drinking causes other people. This gives you a real advantage over others who are under the influence. How great does it feel not waking up with a hangover and ready to start your day?
241. I thought this would be a great quote to begin with, because it captures exactly why these celebrity-sobriety stories are so powerful. They help eliminate the shame surrounding addiction, which in turn makes it easier for addicts to seek help.
242. ‘You don’t have to see the whole staircase. Just take the first step’ – Martin Luther King
243. “Cuando peques, arrepiéntete por completo. Vuelve a odiar el pecado. Conságrate de nuevo al Espíritu Santo y Sus caminos puros. Pero rechaza el susurro del diablo de que el corazón tierno de Dios por ti se ha vuelto un poco más frío, un poco más rígido. Él no se inquieta por tu pecaminosidad, sino que Su mayor decepción son tus tibios pensamientos sobre Su corazón. Cristo murió para mostrarte el amor de Dios.”
244. “We treat both addiction and co-occurring disorders and accept many health insurance plans. Take a look at our inpatient program.”
245. “I’m addicted to the way I feel when I’m thinking about you.” – Fall Out Boy
246. So often we feel powerless in this world. Experiencing trauma, injustice, neglect or abuse can make a person feel like they have little control over their own life. In fact, a recent study found that individuals who have experienced stressful childhood life events are more likely to lack a sense of autonomy and self-connectedness, which can lead to several negative consequences, including emotional challenges and difficulties managing new situations. One way people cope is by turning to drugs and alcohol. For some, when they feel powerless, abusing substances provides them with the illusion that they have control over something. In the long-run, however, addiction makes a person feel even more powerless then before.
247. ABOUT ADVANCED RECOVERY SYSTEMS
248. NEWSRECOVERY LIFESTYLE
249. Sponsors play a key role in one’s sobriety – they’ve been through it all and are there to help you through it too. So don’t forget to celebrate their sobriety anniversary as well! It’s also the perfect time to let your sponsor know how much you appreciate them and their contributions.
250. “A sense of humor is the best indicator that you will recover; it is often the best indicator that people will love you. Sustain that and you have hope.”― Andrew Solomon
251. ‘My recovery must come first so that everything I love in life does not have to come last’
252. The positive changes that arise when we conquer alcohol addiction show how much better life can be.
253. Not everyone will struggle with addiction but everyone has something in their life that they are trying incredibly hard to get through. You’re not alone. Give yourself grace as you figure it out.
254. “Your addiction is not you, but it feels like you because you’ve spent so much intimate time together.” – Toni Sorenson
255. tags: discontinuity, sobriety, transmigration-of-the-soul0 likesLike
256. “Recovery is about progression, not perfection.” – Unknown
257. “Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.” — Muhammad Ali
258. Sunday is your best day. You know you had an amazing week. Time to recover and think how you gonna kill the next one.
259. “Perfectionism is a self-destructive and addictive belief system that fuels this primary thought—if I look perfect, and do everything perfectly, I can avoid or minimize the painful feelings of shame, judgment, and blame.”
260. What are happy sobriety birthday quotes? A sobriety birthday is a date that someone in addiction recovery celebrates their sobriety. Typically it is the anniversary of their first day of getting sober and no longer drinking alcohol. Or the date they went to their first AA meeting. The actual AA Birthday date or happy sobriety birthday day is not as important as the reasons for celebrating one’s recovery success.
261. “Congratulations on another year sober. We are so very proud of you! We love having you back. Keep it going. You are a strong lady and don’t forget it.”
262. “The road to success runs uphill.” – Willie Davis
263. ‘Addiction vs. Recovery…
264. “It’s okay to outgrow your old self.” – Wild Faith
265. “When you quit drinking you stop waiting.”
266. Not all of us are great with words, and that’s okay! Sometimes, we need a little help figuring out what to say. Whether you say them aloud or write them down on a card, here are some great ways to communicate your support to a friend who is celebrating a sobriety milestone:
267. Quotes and sayings to inspire addiction recovery and sobriety
268. Sobriety is a very beautiful thing and a miracle to be celebrated, yet there will undoubtedly be times when we do not feel this is the case and need a little encouragement or nudge in the right direction.
269. ‘The minute you think of giving up, think of the reason why you held on so long’
270. We offer a free telephone consultation to determine if addictions treatment would be right for you, or a loved one. Complete the form below and a member of our expert addictions team will be in touch to arrange an appointment.
271. You can’t keep today’s hour for tomorrow – we all know that, but still tend to procrastinate. Benjamin Franklin warns that time is a scarce resource, and if it’s wasted, it cannot be recovered later. This is why mindful planning and work on productivity are so important.
272. “People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Neither does bathing. That’s why we recommend it daily.” – Zig Ziglar
273. “I can take care of myself!” vs “ There is something bigger than me.”
274. “It’s a beautiful day to be sober.” — Unknown
275. getting sober quotes
276. “You should be addicted to bettering yourself.”
277. “Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.” – Ernest Hemingway
278. My brother is one of my true heroes. Steady and sober where I am impulsive and emotional. - Mark McKinnon
279. Implementing these new habits takes time, but reducing or eliminating your alcohol consumption is worth it. Sobriety is the best gift that I’ve ever given myself.
280. “This is where it all begins. Everything starts here, today.” – David Nicholls
281. Over 20,000 People Have Received Our Addiction Treatment. Why Can’t You?
282. “If you want something new, you have to stop doing something old.” – Peter Drucker
283. Meth Addiction
284. “My mind may be sober, but my confidence is high!”
285. “I'm not stoned now, Jack,' she said quietly. 'I'm straight, maybe straighter than I've ever been in my life. We all go through changes. I watched you go through yours, and I couldn't take it. Now I think I've gone through one of my own, a big one. It happens like that sometimes, six years of things just happening to you but not really getting through to your head, and then something, acid plus something, maybe something silly and meaningless triggers the big flash, and suddenly all those six years come through all the way at once and you feel them, feel the years before too, and all the possible futures, all in a moment, and nothing's happened in that moment that anyone else can see, but you're just not the same you anymore. There's a gap, a discontinuity, and you know you can't go back to being what you've been but you don't yet know what you are.”
286. tags: drunkenness, sobriety30 likesLike
287. Nobody stays recovered unless the life they have created is more rewarding and satisfying than the one they left behind. – Anne Fletcher
288. Comparing one’s progress in recovery to that of others will only distract you from improving your life. Make an effort to congratulate yourself and recognize your progress. Or, if your loved one is in recovery, support them by letting them know how proud you are of their bravery and progress. Try and recognize their accomplishments, no matter how small rather than focus on the negative. Sometimes a few positive words can go a long way.
289. Sobriety quotes from “How to socialize and have fun sober”
290. “The gaining, or maintaining, of some reputations was, or is, made possible by the loss of sobriety.”
291. “Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” — Martin Luther King
292. “It is by going down into the abyss that we recover the treasures of life. Where you stumble, there lies your treasure.” — Joseph Campbell
293. “Where there is life there is hope.” – Ron Grover
294. You wait and watch and work: you don’t give up.” ~ Anne Lamott
295. Self care is equally important for those in dysfunctional relationships where addiction is a factor. If you are in a codependent relationship with an addict, it can be especially hard to focus on your own needs. Some even describe this relationship dynamic as addictive in nature. In codependent relationships, the addict’s needs are prioritized over those of the other partner. That partner may take on the addict’s problems, attempting to keep them safe, cleaning up their messes, providing them with financial support, and bailing them out of legal situations. However, in reality they are enabling the addict’s behaviors by removing the consequences of their actions.
296. “Somebody once asked me how I define sobriety, and my response was ‘liberation from dependence’.” - Leslie Jamison, author
297. “The mentality and behavior of drug addicts and alcoholics is wholly irrational until you understand that they are completely powerless over their addiction and unless they have structured help, they have no hope.” — Russell Brand
298. Drug Addiction, Signs, and Treatment
299. “If you hear a voice within you say ‘you cannot paint,’ then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.” – Vincent Van Gogh
300. “At first, addiction is maintained by pleasure, but the intensity of the pleasure gradually diminishes and the addiction is then maintained by the avoidance of pain.” — Frank Tallis
301. In the morning, more than coffee, we need fresh flowers, a walk in the garden, and a quick and easy connection to nature. If we could all start our day that way, it might make our caffeine addiction go into remission.
302. The answers are inside if we have a process to be introspective.” ~ Dr. Herby Bell
303. “You’re doing incredible work. Don’t give up!”
304. “Understanding the difference between healthy striving and perfectionism is critical to laying down the shield and picking up your life. Research shows that perfectionism hampers success. In fact, it’s often the path to depression, anxiety, addiction, and life paralysis.” – Brené Brown
305. I can honestly say, all the bad things that ever happened to me were directly, directly attributed to drugs and alcohol. I mean, I would never urinate at the Alamo at nine o'clock in the morning dressed in a woman's evening dress sober.
306. “Relapse doesn’t have to be part of recovery any more than return has to be part of cancer.”
307. tags: alcohol, drinking, drinking-alcohol, mistakes, sobriety0 likesLike
308. “You were designed for accomplishment, engineered for success, and endowed with the seeds of greatness.” — Zig Ziglar
309. It's sobering to contemplate how much time, effort, sacrifice, compromise, and attention we give to acquiring and increasing our supply of something that is totally insignificant in eternity.
310. “My story may be rooted in trauma but it is not my only story.”
311. “Either you run the day, or the day runs you.” – Jim Rohn
312. “It’s not clever to respond to humiliation if it was received from a guy you don’t respect! Because the value of an insult is zero if it’s created by a creature that doesn’t have a heart. Listen only to sober, conscious, and wise people.”
313. “Addiction brings apathy. Break the apathy, and you break the addiction.” – Mango Wodzak
314. “You’d be surprised how addicting high self-esteem is.” – Fergie
315. “The road to Recovery will not always be easy, but I will take it one day at a time.” — Amanda Lindhout
316. True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.
317. ‘The mentality and behaviour of drug addicts and alcoholics is wholly irrational until you understand that they are completely powerless over their addiction and unless they have structured help, they have no hope’ – Russel Brand
318. Addiction and alcoholism recovery quote
319. “The initial journey towards sobriety is a delicate balance between insight into one’s desire for escape and abstinence from one’s addiction.” ― Debra L. Kaplan
320. Love & Addiction Quotes on Seeking Treatment
321. The pleasant life is not produced by continual drinking and dancing, nor sexual intercourse, nor rare dishes of sea food and other delicacies of a luxurious table. On the contrary, it is produced by sober reasoning which examines the motives for every choice and avoidance, driving away beliefs which are the source of mental disturbances.
322. tags: aa, alcohol, alcoholic-anonymous, drugs, drunk, rehab, rehabilitation, reputation, sober, sobriety0 likesLike
323. tags: hope, hope-quotes, inspirational, inspirational-quotes, life, sober, sobriety, sobriety-courage32 likesLike
324. We are happy to celebrate this moment with you on your journey!
325. “Get your loved one the help they need. Our substance use disorder program accepts many health insurance plans, this is our residential program.”
326. “10 years sober is a HUGE milestone. You have worked so hard to create a life that you always dreamed you would have. I’ve seen you consistently work with such focus and determination, you are truly an icon, a BOSS ASS BITCH. My role model and inspiration. Never forget how far you have come. I love you and am so proud!”
327. Can You Smoke Adderall? Dangers & Effects of Adderall Addiction
328. UNDERSTANDING ADDICTION
329. The actor shares his thoughts on recovery in a recent interview with the Guardian.
330. Sobriety was the best gift I ever gave myself
331. How Long Does Xanax Stay in System? Signs of Xanax Addiction
332. Courage isn't having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don't have the strength.
333. Email: [email protected]
334. “Sometimes deciding who you are is deciding who you’ll never be again.” – Unknown
335. “All the mistakes I’ve ever made in my life have been when I’ve been drunk. I haven’t made hardly any mistakes sober, ever.” — Tracey Emin
336. Delamere is the UK’s only purpose built addiction treatment and behavioural wellness facility. We specialise in the medical detoxification and bespoke rehabilitation from all manner of addictive substances, including alcohol and drugs. Each of our treatment programmes and detoxes are intricately tailored to each of our guests specific treatment needs and conducted within luxurious surroundings.
337. tags: academia, exams, sobriety233 likesLike
338. Does Sobriety Take Up Too Much Time?
339. Ending a long-term relationship is extremely tough, and recovering from the issues you’ve had in the relationship is even tougher and takes time.” – Jyoti Patel
340. When you recover or discover something that nourishes your soul and brings joy, care enough about yourself to make room for it in your life. — Jean Shinoda Bolen
341. “We can fall out of love at second sight.”
342. “The ability to use our thinking minds to organize the feelings and sensory impressions fed to us through our limbic system is key to emotional sobriety.” – Tian Dayton Ph.D
343. How Can I Tell if Someone is in an Active Addiction?
344. “I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.” ― Winston Churchill
345. I hope you enjoyed these quotes as much as I did. You can read more about any of the celebrities by clicking through to the articles about them, or check out this giant list of posts about sober celebrities.
346. Somebody once asked me how I define sobriety, and my response was ‘liberation from dependence
347. Addiction Treatment Services
348. Hope the doctors will be quick so that you can recover faster. Best wishes for your Surgery.
349. “Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work: You don’t give up.” — Anne Lamott
350. tags: sad, sobriety9 likesLike
351. “Someone who is trying to be sober is often trying to work out deeper emotional issues and is attempting to undo years of habitual behavior. When you reduce recovery to just abstinence, it simplifies what is really a much more complex issue.” ― Sasha Bronner
352. Emotional Sobriety Quotes
353. “Sobriety is wealth.” ― Petra Hermans
354. Getting sober is the most wonderfully fulfilling experience in the world. Of course, just like any other experience, it cannot be all good. You will experience ups and downs when you get sober, and sometimes you might need an extra dose of inspiration to stay on the right track and keep yourself positive. We have compiled a list of 10 motivational quotes for staying sober, geared towards getting you through even the toughest of times. Remember – if you are ever struggling and need additional support, you can give us a call at any time. At Absolute Awakenings, we are always standing by to help in any and every way that we can.
355. I can’t wait for the day I will be in your arms again. All I wish is for you to recover from your surgery.
356. Our inpatient addiction treatment is provided via two separate modalities:
357. I really think a champion is defined not by their wins but by how they can recover when they fall.
358. This quote highlights the inner strength that addicts and alcoholics working to heal from addiction possess. Recovery requires a person to take a deep look inside and confront their darkest fears. Recovering addicts learn to recognize personal weaknesses, rebuild damaged relationships, develop communication skills, ask for forgiveness, build trust and take accountability for their actions. Many people will never understand the daily work one must do in recovery.
359. Breaking free from the chains of drug and alcohol addiction is not easy—but it’s not impossible either. As someone burdened with addiction, remember that countless others were in the same state of despair and guilt, but they turned their lives around. A little inspiration might help, so here are some inspiring substance abuse quotes that can help you on our journey to recovery,
360. “Getting sober is a radically creative act.” ― Meredith Bell, A Sober Year: Daily Musings on an Alcohol-Free Life
361. Alcohol Addiction AssessmentAlcohol Addiction
362. “People on a spiritual path – personal growth, spiritual practice, recovery, yoga and so forth – are the last people who should be sitting out the social and political issues of our day.” – Marianne Williamson
363. “A champion is defined not by their wins but by how they can recover when they fall.” ~ Serena Williams
364. Feelings aren't facts.
365. "Music is an addiction.”
366. Out of all the addictions in the world, Attention is slowly but surely becoming one of the most dangerous.” — unknown
367. “Learning alternative methods for creating what we might call “natural highs” is key in turning addictive/compulsive behavior around and achieving emotional sobriety.” – Tian Dayton Ph.D
368. “Which is recorded of Socrates, that he was able both to abstain from, and to enjoy, those things which many are too weak to abstain from, and cannot enjoy without excess. But to be strong enough both to bear the one and to be sober in the other is the mark of a man who has a perfect and invincible soul.”
369. “I used to think a drug addict was someone who lived on the far edges of society. Wild-eyed, shaven-headed and living in a filthy squat. That was until I became one.” - Cathryn Kemp, writer
370. “Sometimes you’ve just got to give yourself what you wish someone else would give you.” – Dr. Phil
371. Inspirational recovery quotes on remaining committed
372. “We have learned that the satisfaction of instincts cannot be the sole aim of our lives.”
373. “Change happens when the pain of holding on becomes greater than the fear of letting go.” — Spencer Johnson
374. “We’ve observed that people who stall in their personal growth work often have counterproductive soft addictions that stand in their way of growth and having the life they say they want. It can be a simple thing, such as watching TV instead of finishing a project.” – Judith Wright
375. On what getting sober taught her:
376. “Of course, it is very important to be sober when you take an exam. Many worthwhile careers in the street-cleansing, fruit-picking and subway-guitar-playing industries have been founded on a lack of understanding of this simple fact.”
377. Sobriety was the greatest gift I ever gave myself.” Rob Lowe
378. “Rehab isn’t what finally got me sober. It was nearly losing everything and finally seeing that whatever benefit I thought alcohol gave me was outweighed by what it would cost me… ‘You’re removing the capacity to be present, not just in the bad moments.’ You’re numbing the good feelings. You’re numbing everything. It’s profoundly selfish.” – Elizabeth Vargas, television journalist
379. Even though every addict has a different story, there are certain commonalities; one that is critical is the desire for acceptance.
380. recovery quote 11
381. This quote highlights the pain of wanting to be free from addiction, but feeling unable to control the urge to abuse substances. Of course, no one chooses to be addicted to drugs or alcohol. For many, dependence develops as a coping mechanism that allows users to numb their negative feelings and escape traumatic memories temporarily. When they stop using, these feelings and symptoms of conditions like PTSD may return. So, despite the many negative consequences, addicts and alcoholics can feel trapped, believing they need substances to cope with their underlying conditions. This is one way that the addict part of the mind distorts a person’s thinking. Treatment programs like Liberty Ranch’s helps participants manage and address their underlying conditions in healthier, more productive ways. Moreover, treatment helps clients deconstruct current ways of thinking and learn healthier ways to respond to difficulties, while providing structure and support.
382. “Understanding the difference between healthy striving and perfectionism is critical to laying down the shield and picking up your life. Research shows that perfectionism hampers success. In fact, it’s often the path to depression, anxiety, addiction, and life paralysis.” ― Brené Brown
383. Come, pensive nun, devout and pure, sober steadfast, and demure, all in a robe of darkest grain, flowing with majestic train.
384. “The most common way people give up their power is by thinking that they don’t have any.” — Alice Walker
385. “The hardest thing about depression is that it is addictive. It begins to feel uncomfortable, not to be depressed. You feel guilty for feeling happy.” -Pete Wentz
386. My life would be drastically different if it weren’t for your years of sobriety and what they’ve allowed you to do for me.
387. Solitude is for me a fount of healing which makes my life worth living. Talking is often a torment for me, and I need many days of silence to recover from the futility of words.”
388. “One thing you must realize is that: you either kill your addiction or your addiction will eventually kill you.” ~ Oche Otorkpa
389. “There is no better high than discovery.” ― E. O. Wilson
390. Mental health and sobriety is not a straight line, and ‘Drag Race’ is a family, and we support our family members through anything.
391. My heart might be bruised, but it will recover and become capable of seeing beauty of life once more. It's happened before, it will happen again, I'm sure. When someone leaves, it's because someone else is about to arrive. I'll find love again.”
392. “It does not matter how slowly you go, only that you do not stop.” — Confucius, ancient Chinese philosopher
393. “First, you take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes you.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald
394. The recurring message here is that people struggling with addiction can find solace and encouragement in sobriety quotes.
395. Harmony Recovery Group Announces Acquisition by Thrive Healthcare
396. Addiction, at its worst, is akin to having Stockholm Syndrome. You’re like a hostage who has developed an irrational affection for your captor. They can abuse you, torture you, even threaten to kill you, and you’ll remain inexplicably and disturbingly loyal. -Anne Clendening
397. Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk.
398. I’m addicted to the way I feel when I’m thinking about you.” – Fall Out Boy
399. “Become addicted to constant and never-ending self-improvement.”—Anthony J. D’Angelo
400. Start your recovery journey by calling our admissions team today.
401. “I have come to believe that caring for myself is not self-indulgent. Caring for myself is an act of survival.” -Audre Lorde
402. ”Trust is a fragile thing once earned, it affords us tremendous freedom but once trust is lost, it can be impossible to recover of course the truth is, we never know who we can trust. Those we’re closest to can betray us. ” – Mary Alice Young
403. “The thing is, if I don’t have sobriety, I don’t have anything.”
404. “We must desperately desire recovery with the same passion with which we pursue drugs.” — Mary Cook
405. “Bread cannot feed the addicts of beauty.” – Raheel Farooq
406. Motivational quotes are one of the greatest ways of inspiring us to continue the fight against the disease of addiction. A glance at a well-phrased truth can propel us forward after keeping us from falling. Here is a list of 61 inspirational quotes to help do that.
407. “I am addicted to the way I feel when I think of you.” – Anonymous
408. Sobriety Anniversary Quotes
409. “Learn to listen, sit, contain, and just be with your children.” – Brad Reedy, PhD
410. “I think sober is the new black. That’s the cool thing now. I’m trying to make it the cool thing.” ― Ronnie Radke
411. Enter your phone number and a member of our team will call you back to discuss your recovery.
412. Each day, addicts and alcoholics must choose their own wellbeing over using substances. The decision to stay clean is a repeated one, and some days are harder than others. Unfortunately, sometimes relapses occur. But, if you believe that recovery is possible, even when obstacles and triggers appear, you will seek support and solutions. If you have struggled with addiction for many years, changing your mindset may take time. But start by opening yourself up to the idea that recovery is an option for you. Consider contacting a treatment program that will support you in this journey and help make recovery a reality for you.
413. “A champion is defined not by their wins but by how they can recover when they fall.” — Serena Williams
414. “Remember that just because you hit bottom doesn’t mean you have to stay there.” – Robert Downey Jr.
415. “What marriage is to morality, a properly conducted licensed liquor traffic is to sobriety.” ― Mark Twain
416. Developing an attitude of gratitude is one of the main effects of becoming sober.
417. “Addiction recovery is more than stopping drinking or using. It’s an ongoing process of growing and healing – mentally, emotionally, physically and spiritually.” (LVR)
418. “Emotional sobriety also means that we have learned how to tolerate our intense emotions without acting out in dysfunctional ways, clamping down and foreclosing on our feeling world, or self-medicating.” – Tian Dayton Ph.D
419. I feel sad for not being there on your surgery day. Everyone here misses you a lot. We pray for your recovery so that we can be together soon.
420. It's the first tournament I've won on the PGA Tour in a sober manner, so it's a great feeling knowing I can do it sober. I don't think two years ago I could have pulled this off.
421. “Pessimism is a product of our civilization. It is not natural to the savage; he feels pain, or discomfort, and suffers from these palpable conditions, but when he recovers from wounds he forgets the torments, and when he is well fed he is joyous in the light of day. ” Arthur Lynch
422. If you’ve been looking for motivational quotes to help you with drug or alcohol addiction, these sobriety quotes can offer inspiration.
423. Numerous amazing drug addiction support quotes by anonymous people inspired others to maintain their dedication to sobriety. Although your past behaviors shape who you are, it does not define who you will be. This is determined by your actions and behavior, not your past addiction. What you did in the past does not decide who you will be in the future.
424. It takes true grit, determination, and an almost superhuman strength to battle addiction and come out on top. Don’t let your sober loved ones forget just how strong they are – that inner strength has been their lifesaver and it deserves to be acknowledged.
425. I knew well enough that one could fracture one's legs and arms and recover afterward, but I did not know that you could fracture the brain in your head and recover from that too.
426. “Courage is what makes us do the right thing even when nobody else is doing it.”
427. “Only goal as a mother: Raise children that don’t have to recover from their childhood.”
428. “my higher power never told me to get a shitty job in addition to being a miracle (sober alcoholic)”
429. It’s just really because I don’t want to be on national television. I’m just not made for that kind of stuff anymore. I want to stay sober and I can’t do that sober. It doesn’t feel safe to me to be in that kind of exposure, scrutiny, comparison to people.
430. “The essence of emotional sobriety is good self-regulation. It means that we have mastered those mind/body skills that allow us to balance our moods, nervous systems, appetites, sexual drive, and sleep, and that we’ve developed the ability to experience our inner worlds without running from them so that we can come to understand what makes us tick.” – Tian Dayton Ph.D
431. “I deserve to be sober.”
432. “You change your life by changing your heart.” – Max Lucado
433. “I believe the greatest gift you can give your family and the world is a healthy you.” – Joyce Meyer
434. “Me encantan los rumores sobre eyelid, me entero de cosas que ni yo sabía, que había hecho”: I love rumors about me – things I didn’t even know I did.
435. tags: addict, addiction, addiction-and-recovery, alcohol-abuse, alcoholism, mental-health, sober, sobriety, substance-abuse6 likesLike
436. “Do not take an overdose, whether that relates to wisdom, motives, any tricks, or other objects and subjects that bring you down to only humiliate you.” ― Ehsan Sehgal
437. ‘One day you will tell your story of how you overcame what you went though and it will be someone else’s survival guide.’ – Brene Brown
438. “Life has no remote….get up and change it yourself!” ― Mark A. Cooper
439. The opposite of addiction is not sobriety, but human connection.
440. Missing you is not just a habit; it is a deadly addiction. Missing you is not just a compulsion; it is a painful desperation. I miss you, girl.
441. Sobriety Quotes To Give You Confidence
442. “If you trade your authenticity for safety, you may experience the following: anxiety, depression, eating disorders, addiction, rage, blame, resentment, and inexplicable grief.” – Brené Brown
443. “Waking up clean and sober is the first gift of every day.” — Unknown
444. “Kid, sobriety’s like a hard-on; the minute you get it, you want to f*** with it.” ― David Foster Wallace
445. “Sunday is your best day. You know you had an amazing week. Time to recover and think how you gonna kill the next one.” ~ Anonymous
446. He was sober.
447. “Deacons likewise must be dignified, not double-tongued, not addicted to much wine, not greedy for dishonest gain.”
448. “Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work: you don’t give up.” – Anne Lamott
449. “All the suffering, stress, and addiction comes from not realizing you already are what you are looking for.”
450. “I am a jeep aholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. We don’t need roads.”
451. “Never, never, never, never give up.” – Winston Churchill
452. Sober quote Drunk words are sober thoughts
453. Kit Harington’s Advice for Sobriety
454. When it comes to early recovery, it can be easy to lose motivation. You might find yourself in an emotional or mental rut and begin engaging in old, self-destructive behavioral patterns, like isolating, bottling up your emotions, or putting your attention into other (less important) things. Every day you must wake up in the right mindset, and if you don’t, you must do everything in your power to turn your current mindset around. Referring to motivational quotes that focus on recovery and sobriety is a great way to do just that. You can find books that are full of motivational quotes.
455. When we become sober, for the first time in a very long time, life becomes worthwhile.
456. "It's very important to seek treatment early for eating disorders. People with eating disorders often have other mental disorders such as depression, or anxiety, or problems with substance use. Importantly, complete recovery from eating disorders is possible. Treatment plans are tailored to individual needs and may include one or more of the following: individual, couple, or group psychotherapy, family-based treatment, medical care and medical monitoring, nutritional counseling, and also medication."— Cynthia Bulik, PhD
457. Good morning my sweetest addiction! I can’t live without you.
458. “Sobriety is love of health, or inability to eat much.” ― Francois de La Rochefoucauld
459. Treatment for Drug and Alcohol Addiction
460. “Every strike brings me closer to the next home run.” — Babe Ruth
461. Living with addiction at Christmas: how to get help
462. Alberta’s Bold Move to Fight Addiction
463. Gain insight into the benefits and challenges of recovery through these 15 quotes about sobriety:
464. “I personally believe this: We have only today; yesterday’s gone and tomorrow is uncertain. That’s why they call it the present. And sobriety really is a gift… for those who are willing to receive it.” ― Ace Frehley, No Regrets: A Rock ‘n’ Roll Memoir
465. Sobriety Starts Here
466. “When I had the kite free. I needed a minute to rest. To recover before starting down. So instead of looking at the ground below me. I held on tight and looked out. Out across the rooftops.
467. The stand-up comedian and podcast host has been sober for 22 years.
468. Other Drug Addictions
469. “Additions started out like magical pets, pocket monsters. They did extraordinary tricks, showed you things you hadn’t seen, were fun. But came, through some gradual dire alchemy, to make decisions for you. Eventually, they were making your most crucial life decisions. And they were less intelligent than goldfish.” — William Gibson
470. Addiction Treatments
471. “The signature of the truly great is not the absence of difficulty but the ability to recover from setbacks. ”— Jim Collins
472. Begin with a free call to an addiction & behavioral health treatment advisor. Learn more about our dual-diagnosis programs. The We Level Up treatment center network delivers recovery programs that vary by each treatment facility. Call to learn more.
473. Pro tip: Needing to encourage someone who is not going to recover? This Get Well article offers caring message ideas for someone with a chronic or terminal illness.
474. “Making a big life change is scary. Know what’s even scarier? Regret.” – Zig Ziglar
475. Sobriety Quote
476. “When I got sober, I thought giving up was saying goodbye to all the fun and all the sparkle, and it turned out to be just the opposite. That’s when the sparkle started for me.” — Mary Karr, American poet
477. “You don’t like me? That’s a shame. I’ll need a few minutes to recover from the tragedy.”
478. “Recovery is not simple abstinence. It’s about healing the brain, remembering how to feel, learning how to make good decisions, becoming the kind of person who can engage in healthy relationships, cultivating the willingness to accept help from others, daring to be honest, and opening up to doing.” - Debra Jay, addiction specialists
479. “Feelings are an integral part of human existence. By learning the language of feelings, recovering Nice Guys can begin to let go of a lifetime of unnecessary baggage. As they do, they experience a newfound energy, optimism, intimacy, and zest for life. ”—Robert A. Glover
480. “I sought treatment and began the process of getting myself healthy and in return could make healthier decisions concerning my child. Self-care is critical and must not be neglected.” – Sharon LeGore
481. “OK,” he said. “I have a question. I hope this doesn’t sound rude, but if you don’t drink, smoke, or do drugs, what the hell do you do for fun?” “This,” I said. “This.” I understand this question more than i understand most questions about sobriety. I understand it because I know exactly where it comes from and exactly why people ask. And I understand why it seems so incomprehensible. I understand it because it was my question. How do you vacation in Mexico without tequila, eat dinner without wine, brunch without champagne, party without shots? How do you live without the distinct pleasure of being silly drunk? Prior to October 2012, if you would have asked me what sobriety looked like, I would have said something that sounded like a fart noise while pointing two thumbs down. A life without alcohol might as well have been a death sentence of boring. A life half lived, with half smiles, that smelled like Clorox bleach. What I have discovered on this side of the bar scene is the exact opposite. Instead of the boring life I had anticipated before quitting booze, my life without alcohol is where my actual living began. Nothing was as half lived, forced, sad, or redundant as an existence that required alcohol to have fun.”
482. “Being a drug addict in recovery is actually a great place to be because you’re forced to be looking at the rancid layers of the onion that you’ve been carrying around for a lifetime. Whatever degree of struggle it offers me, I’m actually grateful for. It keeps me working towards change, it gives me the desire for change” - Anthony Kiedis, rockstar
483. ‘Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life’ – JK Rowlings
484. “Sobriety and health is the greatest thing.” ― Jeff Bridges
485. End the Addiction Pain. End the Emotional Rollercoaster. Get Your Life Back. Start Drug, Alcohol & Dual Diagnosis Mental Health Treatment Now. Get Free No-obligation Guidance by Substance Abuse Specialists Who Understand Addiction & Mental Health Recovery & Know How to Help.
486. “Before you can break out of prison, you must realise you are locked up.” – Anonymous
487. “Genius is the recovery of childhood at will.” — Arthur Rimbaud
488. “… being sober delivered almost everything drinking promised.” ― Anne Lamott, Hallelujah Anyway: Rediscovering Mercy
489. Sobriety Quotes About Recovery and Addiction
490. Rob Delaney experienced severe depression after he quit drinking. However, in this brief quote he shows that he was able to overcome it. I like this because he acknowledges that sobriety doesn’t fix every problem on it’s own — it’s just the start.
491. “It’s a great advantage not to drink among hard drinking people.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald author of The Great Gatsby
492. “We must desperately desire recovery with the same passion with which we pursue drugs.” – Mary Cook
493. “You have become an addiction, an obsession, a religion. I am enthralled and I am obsessed. I am obsessed with you, your smell, your taste, your body and most of all… your mind.” – Calin
494. “Part of emotional sobriety lies in learning how to live with and manage a certain amount of stress, ambivalence, fear, anxiety, and disappointment, and how to temper those emotions and feelings with love, acceptance, productivity, and community.” – Tian Dayton Ph.D
495. Do Sobriety Quotes Help With Your Recovery?
496. “All the mistakes I’ve ever made in my life have been when I’ve been drunk. I haven’t made hardly any mistakes sober, ever.” — Tracey Emin, English artist
497. My dear, the time you were undergoing the surgery I felt the heartache in my heart. The house was like an empty jungle full of loneliness. I am happy you are on the road to full recovery. Wish you a quick recovery.
498. It was a terrifying time when I got sober, but I made it through. I wish someone warned me about the emotional and mental challenges I’d face when I quit drinking.
499. tags: feelings, sobriety3 likesLike
500. “This card is for my amazing husband, an amazing father, and my best friend. I couldn’t be more proud of you for being such a strong man and giving your demons a big F U! I can’t curse since this is also from the kids. We love you! Happy 4 years sober, babe.
501. “One of the hardest things was learning that I was worth recovery.”– Demi Lovato
502. “When you recover or discover something that nourishes your soul and brings joy, care enough about yourself to make room for it in your life.” – Jean Shinoda Bolen
503. Recovery is an ongoing process that can be hard at times, but the end result is beyond imagining.
504. recovery quote 15
505. “Work is my hobby, staying sober is my job.” ― Christian Slater
506. Road To Recovery 100 Sobriety Anniversary Quotes
507. “When trust is broken, there is not any medicine to recover that again, as it was before, even you try hard to gain back. ” – Ehsan Sehgal
508. Maybe we should all get drunk and tell each other everything we're too afraid to say sober
509. “By changing the way I interact with my drinker, I will help him come to the decision that entering treatment will improve his life.” – Robert Meyers, PhD
510. addiction treatment Alcohol And Anxiety alcohol detox alcohol detox centers in nj alcohol detox nj Alcohol Withdrawal Amphetamine Side Effects Anxiety Meds And Alcohol crystal meth Dual Diagnosis Programs in New Jersey Effects of Alcohol Effects of Alcohol On The Body Effects Of Alcohol On The Brain how long does it take to detox from alcohol how long to detox from alcohol how to detox from alcohol Inpatient Alcohol Rehab New Jersey Inpatient Rehab New Jersey Klonopin Withdrawal Klonopin Withdrawal Symptoms New Jersey Rehab Center NJ alcohol detox Rehab Center in New Jersey substance abuse substance abuse treatment
511. “I have raised the morals and sobriety of the people.”
512. “We believe that a mental health system that was fully supporting recovery would look different in language, assumptions, theory base and working practices. It would have a natural focus on strengths.”
513. Home » 25 Best Sobriety Quotes To Help You Stop Substance Abuse
514. The only “negative” side effect of sobriety: You’ll be alone with your thoughts and emotions for the first time. This is more terrifying than most imagine.
515. “Understanding the difference between healthy striving and perfectionism is critical to laying down the shield and picking up your life. Research shows that perfectionism hampers success. In fact, it’s often the path to depression, anxiety, addiction, and life paralysis.”
516. Sex and love addiction
517. “Every addiction starts with pain and ends with pain.” — Eckhart Tolle
518. Happiness is the hedonistic highway to addictions.” – Andrew Tate
519. Sober quotes from Ed Latimore’s “Sober Letters To My Drunken Self”
520. getting sober
521. “It’s not the drugs that make a drug addict. It’s the need to escape reality.” — Unknown
522. The only thing harder than wedding planning is wedding recovery.
523. recovery quote 9
524. “Congratulations on yet another sobriety milestone! I’m so proud of you! Thank you from the bottom of my heart for being my sponsor and guiding me on this journey of sobriety. You continue to inspire me. My life has been forever changed by you. I’m so thankful!”
525. Sobriety Anniversary Quotes: You’re Not Alone
526. “People still question my sobriety, my commitment to the program, and that hurts. I take things day by day, and sometimes I take them to minute by minute, but I honor my commitment to stay sober.” ― Tom Arnold
527. “My heart might be bruised, but it will recover and become capable of seeing the beauty of life once more. It’s happened before, it will happen again, I’m sure. When someone leaves, it’s because someone else is about to arrive—I’ll find love again. ” —Paulo Coelho, author
528. “I understood, through rehab, things about creating characters. I understood that creating whole people means knowing where we come from, how we can make a mistake, and how we overcome things to make ourselves stronger.” – Samuel L. Jackson
529. Addiction Programs
530. “When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” — Henry Ford
531. Find more addiction topics here
532. “We are all damaged. We have all been hurt. We have all had to learn painful lessons. We are all recovering from some mistake, loss, betrayal, abuse, injustice or misfortune. All of life is a process of recovery that never ends. We each must find ways to accept and move through the pain and to pick ourselves back up. Be patient with yourself.” ― Bryant McGill author of Simple Reminders: Inspiration for Living Your Best Life
533. People spend a lifetime searching for happiness; looking for peace. They chase idle dreams, addictions, religions, even other people, hoping to fill the emptiness that plagues them. The irony is the only place they ever needed to search was within.” – Ramona L. Anderson
534. “We can change our lives. We can do, have, and be exactly what we wish.” – Tony Robbins
535. “Asking for help is really the beginning of any sort of recovery process.” - Marc Maron, comedian
536. Staying sober on a daily basis, we experience our full range of emotions. Naturally, there will be times of worry, hardship, boredom, anger and sadness to add to the mix of joy, contentment, freedom and gratitude.
537. Recovery Quotes
538. Realise that narcissists have an addiction disorder. They are strongly addicted to feeling significant. Like any addict, they will do whatever it takes to get this feeling often. That is why they are manipulative and future fakers. They promise change but can’t deliver if it interferes with their addiction. That is why they secure backup supplies.” — unknown
539. Tea! thou soft, sober, sage and venerable liquid;
540. Instead, a helpful approach is to take things step-by-step and focus on making good decisions today. This way, you can achieve many small wins. Over time, these small wins build up into larger gains. Think about the positive things that you can accomplish today. Adopting this mindset can also be beneficial to those with loved ones in recovery. Once your loved one stops using drugs and alcohol, you may expect them to simply “get better” overnight. However, recovery is a process. Bearing the weight of others’ expectations can actually be counterproductive to one’s recovery. If your parent, significant other, daughter or son struggles with addiction and you want to support their recovery, rather than adding additional pressure, help keep your loved one focused on the present and provide positive reinforcement by recognizing what they have accomplished thus far.
541. “When you can stop, you don’t want to. And when you want to stop, you can’t. That’s addiction.” ~ Anonymous
542. “If you trade your authenticity for safety, you may experience the following: anxiety, depression, eating disorders, addiction, rage, blame, resentment, and inexplicable grief.”
543. “If it wasn’t for that rehab center, I probably wouldn’t have been here. In terms of recovery, it has been very important for me to be a part of a recovery community, to actively be around my people because they understand me. They get it.” – Macklemore
544. Behavioural addictions
545. You need to be bold enough and strong enough to let your loved one’s recovery unfold or not unfold as it is meant to, not as you want it to
546. “Perfectionism is a self destructive and addictive belief system that fuels this primary thought: If I look perfect, and do everything perfectly, I can avoid or minimise the painful feelings of shame, judgment, and blame.”