Thank you to the 1646 leaders who’ve generously done the 7 questions! I hope reading 7 Questions with
helps you in your leadership.
Name: Bernice Pitcock
Title: Quality Assurance Coordinator
Organisation: WMC Physician Practices
Registered nurse BSN; many years of experience as nursing supervisor or nurse manager in hospitals; home health agencies; long term care.
1. What have you found most challenging as a leader?
Providing the needed support; education; tools and sometimes inspiration to those in my group
2. How did you become a leader? Can you please briefly tell the story?
Started as a registered nurse in hospital, moved to charge nurse on different shifts. Opportunity to apply for nursing supervisor came up early in my career - did get the position. From there I stayed in management at different levels in hospital. Then moved to management positions outside of hospital environment, always remains in healthcare
3. How do you structure your work days from waking up to going to sleep?
My days are different now - part time and not in management. While in management , had a daughter to take care of; husband and dogs. Active in community organizations as well. Usually busy from morning until night
4. What's a recent leadership lesson you've learned for the first time or been reminded of?
I learn something new on a daily basis!! Love the concept of servant leadership and try to practice that
5. What's one book that has had a profound impact on your leadership so far? Can you please briefly tell the story of how that book impacted your leadership?
Books on Servant Leadership by Robert Greenleaf
6. If you could only give one piece of advice to a young leader, what would you say to them?
Never stop taking the opportunity to learn
7. What is one meaningful story that comes to mind from your time as a leader, so far?
Even now in my waning years - I am gratified to hear from those I have led who tell me how much they appreciated my efforts on their behalf - encouraging; providing support and being a colleague and friend