Thank you to the 1646 leaders who’ve generously done the 7 questions! I hope reading 7 Questions with
helps you in your leadership.
Name: Doug Utberg
Organisation: People First Leaders
20 year corporate career in Finance & Technology. Laid off during COVID and am now the host of the People First Leaders Podcast.
1. What have you found most challenging as a leader?
Having the hard conversations.
2. How did you become a leader? Can you please briefly tell the story?
You become a leader when people follow you. This started when I was in scouts and extended through college to my adult life.
3. How do you structure your work days from waking up to going to sleep?
I am out of bed at 4:45am and get started at 5am. Typically I go through ~5:30pm, then attend to my family with a targeted go to sleep time of 9p to 9:30p.
4. What's a recent leadership lesson you've learned for the first time or been reminded of?
The thing you don't want to do is almost certainly what's most important.
5. What's one book that has had a profound impact on your leadership so far? Can you please briefly tell the story of how that book impacted your leadership?
How to win friends and influence people. Leadership is ultimately about influence and Dale Carnegie is the O.G.
6. If you could only give one piece of advice to a young leader, what would you say to them?
Be Authentic. Don't change who you are to try and win business or get a promotion.
7. What is one meaningful story that comes to mind from your time as a leader, so far?
Most organizations are ultimately consensus driven. This means that leading is about getting people on board in the back channels.