Thank you to the 1646 leaders who’ve generously done the 7 questions! I hope reading 7 Questions with
helps you in your leadership.
Name: Michael Mbetse
Organisation: Dzonga wa Mdeni (Pty) Ltd
A veteran Banker of 30 years experience, Masters in Business Administration, researched on Performance Management Systems and Strategy.
1. What have you found most challenging as a leader?
People who are keen to oppose me with no business acumen backing, but just want to see me fail.
2. How did you become a leader? Can you please briefly tell the story?
I easily understand visions, I read a lot and believe that it is only human resources that can drive any strategy in any business model and that experience is the best teacher.
3. How do you structure your work days from waking up to going to sleep?
In the banking industry its difficult to follow a structured work flow due to consistent unplanned interruptions from customers hence only after working hours one can plan to tackle issues based on its weight.
4. What's a recent leadership lesson you've learned for the first time or been reminded of?
When one plays by the book others play dirty tricks to sway one's focus, so aligning with business models and sticking to the mission by all means leads to the vision achievement.
5. What's one book that has had a profound impact on your leadership so far? Can you please briefly tell the story of how that book impacted your leadership?
Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R.Covey. This book is a business bible that helps one to tackle the toughest task of shifting one's paradigm and align with other peoples perspectives so that the level of understanding becomes in sync thus can succeed in anything or task embarked on. It makes one see the past, the present and the future.
6. If you could only give one piece of advice to a young leader, what would you say to them?
Read, read and read then apply what you have learned and learn from the results thereto. Treat human capital with dignity and they will treat your customers exactly the same way.
7. What is one meaningful story that comes to mind from your time as a leader, so far?
For every David there is a Goliath, for every Jesus there's Judas Iscariot, for every Samson there's a Delila, thus life has always been a struggle, thus hustling through is the only means of survival.