Thank you to the 1646 leaders who’ve generously done the 7 questions! I hope reading 7 Questions with
Rodolfo Miguel Vozza
helps you in your leadership.
Rodolfo Miguel Vozza
Name: Rodolfo Miguel
Organisation: Supermercado Mayorista Yaguar
C.E.O / GM with +25 years of experience at FMCG Industry. Having significant international work experience in the fields: - a: International Sales & Marketing. b: General Management. C: Turn Around Management. I have worked for world-renowned multinational corporations such as: Philip Morris International, Kellogg Co., The Coca-Cola Co., Colgate-Palmolive Co. and Gillette Co. within others.
During my last working years, I have been helping to regional leading companies to reshape their Vision and Mission (using Technology as backbone) preparing their processes and organization for the next decade; while managing the organizational changes; minimizing employee resistance and cost, while simultaneously maximizing strategic results and the effectiveness of the change effort.
Clarity helps CEOs, boards, executive teams, heads of schools and other leaders to build leadership capacity in their organisations through leadership coaching, board and executive team offsites, employee and customer surveys and keynotes and workshops for conferences and staff teams.
1. What have you found most challenging as a leader?
Leadership can be a complex and demanding role, and there are several challenges that leaders often encounter. The most common challenges include:
1) Decision-making: Making tough decisions in a timely manner, especially when faced with uncertainty or conflicting information.
2) Managing change: Change is a constant in today's dynamic world, and we as leaders must be able to adapt and guide their teams or organizations through transitions. Resistance to change, lack of clarity, and managing employee expectations can pose significant challenges.
3) Building and leading a team: Developing a high-performing team is essential for success, but it can be challenging to recruit, motivate, and retain talented individuals. We need to foster a positive team culture, provide guidance, and create an environment that encourages collaboration and innovation.
4) Managing conflicts: Conflicts can arise within teams or between individuals, and we as leaders must effectively address and resolve these conflicts to maintain a harmonious work environment. Balancing different perspectives and finding win-win solutions can be challenging.
5) Delegation: finding the right balance between delegation and maintaining control can be a challenge.
6) Leading through uncertainty: sometimes we face with ambiguous or rapidly changing situations where there are no clear solutions. Navigating through uncertainty, maintaining composure, and providing stability can be particularly challenging.
2. How did you become a leader? Can you please briefly tell the story?
In my personal case i developed this skill thru the combination of personal growth, experience, and skill development. I acquired my leadership positions through a variety of paths, such as:
1) Education and Training: I acquire leadership skills through formal education, such as studying business management, organizational leadership, or related fields. I also participated in leadership training programs and workshops to enhance my skills.
2) Work Experience: Also this source is key to have developed this skill; through practical experience in my chosen field. By working in various roles and taking on increasing levels of responsibility, I gained the knowledge and skills needed to lead teams or organizations.
And I was recognized by peers, superiors and colleagues, and I was offered new development path based on my leadership skills based on my demonstrated capability. And also, Mentorship and Guidance are key elements that provided me guidance, support, and advice.
3. How do you structure your work days from waking up to going to sleep?
It is key to manage the agenda and its planning very well; based on the classification of the tasks and/or meetings that one plans to do; while strongly reducing interruptions that end up affecting productivity. It is a daily exercise of planning, measuring, learning and adjusting.
4. What's a recent leadership lesson you've learned for the first time or been reminded of?
One important leadership lesson is the power of active listening. We need to really understand our Team, colleagues and stakeholders Recently, there has been growing recognition of the importance of empathy and active listening in leadership. The human being makes the difference, and the art is how we can impact on their attitude to help our team to make it their attitude healthier and stronger.
5. What's one book that has had a profound impact on your leadership so far? Can you please briefly tell the story of how that book impacted your leadership?
I can suggest a book that is widely regarded as having a profound impact on leadership development: "Leadership: The Power of Emotional Intelligence" by Daniel Goleman. In this book, Goleman explores the concept of emotional intelligence (EI) and its significance in effective leadership. He highlights how emotional intelligence, which encompasses self-awareness, self-regulation, empathy, and social skills, is crucial for leaders to build strong relationships, navigate challenges, and inspire others. The book delves into various aspects of emotional intelligence and presents compelling research and real-world examples to demonstrate its impact on leadership effectiveness.
6. If you could only give one piece of advice to a young leader, what would you say to them?
Leadership is a journey that requires ongoing development and adaptation.
Here's why focusing on continuous learning is crucial:
1) Embrace a growth mindset: Approach leadership with a growth mindset, believing that your abilities and skills can be developed through dedication and effort.
2) Embrace challenges, learn from failures, and seek opportunities for growth.
3) Seek knowledge and broaden perspectives: Actively seek knowledge and diverse perspectives. Read books, attend seminars or workshops, engage in online courses, and learn from experienced leaders.
4) Expand your understanding of different industries, cultures, and disciplines to become a well-rounded leader.
5) Reflect and self-assess: Regularly reflect on your leadership style, strengths, and areas for improvement. Seek feedback from trusted mentors, peers, and team members to gain valuable insights and identify opportunities for growth.
5) Adapt to change:Leaders need to adapt to new technologies, market trends, and societal changes. Be open to new ideas, embrace innovation, and continuously update your knowledge and skills to stay relevant.
6) Cultivate emotional intelligence.
7) Lead by example: Be a role model for your team. Demonstrate integrity, authenticity, and ethical behavior. Show commitment, passion, and dedication. Your actions will inspire and motivate others to follow your lead.
Remember, leadership is a lifelong learning journey, and investing in your personal growth will not only benefit you but also positively impact those you lead.
7. What is one meaningful story that comes to mind from your time as a leader, so far?
A story that marked me forever was in a huge challenge that I assumed in a general direction of an American company. I had to make very profound changes and after having generated them and having established a new business model with its associated processes. And the results didn't come. Very puzzled I talk to my father to whom I confess what I was living .... and his answer was...
If you did what you had to do... keep reviewing what you have done, reinforcing the task and vision in the team and actively wait and TRUST since the results will come. and so it was....and they didn't stop for 5 years.