Thank you to the 1,000 leaders who’ve generously done the 7 questions!
I hope reading
7 Questions with Mark Ramsey
helps you in your leadership.
7 Questions with Mark Ramsey
Name: Mark Ramsey
Current title: Global Senior Pastor
Current organisation: Citipointe Church
Mark is passionate about the influence of the local church in the world - equipping leaders and investing into the next generation. Mark is a major sports fan and avid surfer - you’ll probably find him checking scoreboards or waiting for the perfect wave, wherever he is in the world.
1. What have you found most challenging as a church leader?
Getting enough believers activated into Kingdom purposes to progress the church into greater things. Getting believers to read and know their Bible, so they know what they believe and stand for.
2. How did you become a church leader? Can you please briefly tell the story?
I was a new christian, I attended a homegroup. The leader decided to leave, I was put in charge. The homegroup grew to over 60 people in my home. My Pastor said we should turn it into its own church as we were 40 minutes away from our church. We did and it grew rapidly.
3. How do you structure your work days from waking up to going to sleep?
Each day is a little different, but generally, start with a short prayer time then some exercise, then to my office where I plan for the future, meet with staff, write messages, solve problems and challenges, come home and relax with my wife.
4. What one book had the most profound impact on your church leadership? Can you please briefly tell the story of how that book impacted your leadership?
The book of Acts in the Bible, especially Chapter 2. It defined my job description as a Church Leader.
- I had to get people to know and love God
- I had to get them to be connected to each other, doing life together, in the church and house to house
- I had to teach them that they were all called to serve and be involved in Kingdom Purposes
- I had to teach them to evangelise and engage their world
- Then to disciple others to live the same way
5. What's the most recent significant leadership lesson you've learned?
Don’t overestimate what you can accomplish in one year, and don’t underestimate what you can achieve in 5 years.
6. How do you develop a healthy leadership pipeline in a church?
By providing opportunity for people to serve in many different areas, then watching which ones start to stand up and stand out, then put energy into developing those particular individuals for leadership through coaching, courses, and taking on more responsibility.
7. If you had to pick just one story, what would be the most meaningful story from your time as a church leader so far?
Through this COVID pandemic season, even though we couldn’t gather as the church, it didn’t stop us from being the church. The continued commitment, involvement and generosity of so many of our church, to feed and clothe those who were in need, to encourage the downhearted and fearful, to bring light and hope into a dark time.