7 Questions with Ron Pagel
Name: Ron Pagel
Current title: Prayer Team Leader - Pastor at Large
Current organisation: Pathways Church - Appleton
Bi-vocational Pastor, Bio-Chemical Engineer, Missionary, Chaplain, Author
1. What have you found most challenging as a church leader?
Balance, casting His vision and engaging volunteer leaders
2. How did you become a church leader? Can you please briefly tell the story?
I was elected to an elder board for the first time in 1989, began men's ministry, completed multiple MDiv programs, ordained as a teaching pastor, now leading a prayer ministry team for a growing church
3. How do you structure your work days from waking up to going to sleep?
up at 4:15 to study & pray, writing a daily blog, answering emails, texts, etc., off to my day job, lunch and coffee with folks to check on them (work travel is ministry to me), dinner with my wife, small groups in evenings (2-3 days a week), more time of emails and phones calls and hopefully bed by 9-ish
4. What one book had the most profound impact on your church leadership? Can you please briefly tell the story of how that book impacted your leadership?
I read 3-4 books a month ... I reserve impact only for the Lord God's Word. I mark CS Lewis, Andrew Murray, EM Bounds, DL Moody, Billy Graham, AW Tozer, FF Bruce and many others as influencers in my walk
5. What's the most recent significant leadership lesson you've learned?
Building others first, as we are only one generation away from being lost as a people
6. How do you develop a healthy leadership pipeline in a church?
discipling others to disciple (Dawson Trotman model)
7. If you had to pick just one story, what would be the most meaningful story from your time as a church leader so far?
Preaching in Honduras with an interpreter, when at the invitation the entire Church came forward for prayer