Thank you to the 1,000 leaders who’ve generously done the 7 questions!
I hope reading
7 Questions with Kemal Omerci
helps you in your leadership.
7 Questions with Kemal Omerci
Name: KEMAL ÖMERCİ
Current title: CHIEF MARKETING OFFICER
Current organisation: BAYDONER RESTORANLARI A.Ş. (Turkey)
1. What have you found most challenging as a CEO or executive of a large enterprise?
I have two major challenges as follows :
1.) LEVEL UP:
To give my vision perspectives to the organization and run together with them to the same direction and targets was the most important challenge. I always face similar issues at different companies to level up their marketing abilities, visions.
2.) CHANGE WORK BEHAVIORS :
In order to come to the same page with the same vision, existing teams have to change work behaviors to reach the targets together.
2. How did you become a CEO or executive of a large enterprise? Can you please briefly tell the story?
I have achieved that 3 major disciplines:
1.) To develop and update myself in the field of leadership and marketing point of view by participating in conferences, reading articles, books, magazines.
2.) While managing marketing operations, I understand the company's big picture and targets. So, I let the marketing business run the same direction with the company.
3.) Communication with all divisions of the company employees and coordinating the marketing project with other departments and getting their support.
3. How do you structure your work days from waking up to going to sleep?
I have two main plannings :
Weekly plan : Every sunday, I plan my week (Monday-Friday)
Daily plan : In line with the weekly plan, I describe and delegate the projects with the team.
4. What's the most recent significant leadership lesson you've learned?
To change, level up the marketing vision and partner the team and board members with some concrete and success projects achieved.
5. What's one book that has had a profound impact on your leadership so far? Can you please briefly tell the story of how that book impacted your leadership?
The book : "The End of Marketing As We Know it. (Sergio Zyman)"
The book showed me the power of Marketing. The main and important role of marketing is not only promotion of products but also to change all organisations.
6. How do you build leadership capacity in a large enterprise?
1.) To determine exact, success, reachable company vision and share and own it with all organizations and follow up with the short term steps. (work groups, presentations, awards etc)
2. To build/re-build a strong organization via training programs to employees and change with new members.
7. What is one meaningful story that comes to mind from your time as a CEO or executive of a large enterprise so far?
LOCAL FASION BRAND: Defacto
Defacto was not in the 10th list of big fashion brands when I started the company, 2010. And I was the only one reported to the CEO as Marketing Manager. After 5 years, Defacto was the 2nd brand in the fashion market in terms of market share, store numbers, and employees.
What was the effect of Marketing to that tremendous growth ? :
As marketing we have achieved the following improvements :
- Marketing researches
- Measurable, pretentious and Marketing plans
- 360 degree Marketing projects and well coordinations with other teams of the company
- Work with some global celebrities (Mrs. Paris Hilton) and Local celebrities (Mrs. Ezmi Mola, Mr. Mr. Arda Turan etc.)
- Develop digital marketing team (e-commerce, social media)
- TV commercial awards, growth in market share, ebitta, sales, store numbers extend to other countries.