Thank you to the 1,000 leaders who’ve generously done the 7 questions!
I hope reading
7 Questions with Paul M Grogan
helps you in your leadership.
7 Questions with Paul M Grogan
Name: Paul M Grogan
Current title: Captain
Current organisation: Inner Beauty Ministry inc
A River of Opportunity
Inside Out Salons
1. What have you found most challenging as a CEO or executive of a large enterprise?
People management starts and stops with the soul of life cycles.
2. How did you become a CEO or executive of a large enterprise? Can you please briefly tell the story?
Deepwater Horizon gave me the epiphany that my lasting memories could be lost at sea unless I could help others see. I started a give back and empowerment campaign called blue bulb project and then started helping at the local level, recovering an old school, my old elementary school. Next thing I know, I’m married with 4 children and we had a deep conviction to help others through transition and growth. We started helping ourselves. Practice what we preach literally and now we have a 3,000 sq ft facility and sponsor numerous projects as part of our community effort. Volunteering basically became a business.
3. How do you structure your work days from waking up to going to sleep?
Well we have round the clock support and run a Monday - Friday office. Virtual assistants and help of community professional services allow it all to work. I usually work from the ship and the wifey works from the shop (Salon). We are relying on the internet for a lot of work when local services may not be available.
4. What's the most recent significant leadership lesson you've learned?
You can never have enough time, money or heart. Maintaining our posture when we get it wrong and sharing the time, money and heart with others create a new feeling. Be open to that level of respect and love.
5. What's one book that has had a profound impact on your leadership so far? Can you please briefly tell the story of how that book impacted your leadership?
Psycho cybernetic. Plastic never fixes anything, it does make a car look nice and works good as an artificial heart. The outward manifestation of the inner self shows us how to measure our growth from the inside out.
6. How do you build leadership capacity in a large enterprise?
Jesus. A single focus on a single source for a single purpose with single values giving us a compass that starts with the concept of a North.
7. What is one meaningful story that comes to mind from your time as a CEO or executive of a large enterprise so far?
I was volunteering at a clinic and I explained that we are one arm's length away from danger and with that same arm we can hug, love and help others. The choice is ours every day. It was just chit chat until like 8 months later I was discussing similar principles in a small group of people and this woman walked up to me and said, “You're the one the one! You changed my life. You gave me so much clarity.” I avoided that lady and that responsibility for a while, with letters and then internet responses from future clients I started to realize we can make a difference and we must always be conscious of what we are asking people to focus on.