Thank you to the 1,400 leaders who’ve generously done the 7 questions!
I hope reading
7 Questions with Pierre Fuly
helps you in your leadership.
7 Questions with Pierre Fuly
Name: Pierre Fuly
Current title: Chief Engineer
Current organisation: Sapura Navegação Marítima
I've been a Marine Engineer since 2006 with a Bachelor in Nautical Science by Brazilian Merchant Marine University. I have over 13 years of experience in the maritime and offshore industry. Since 2014 in the Management Level.
1. What have you found most challenging as a CEO or executive of a large enterprise?
People management and conflict management. I believe that a motivated, united team that feels important to the business is fundamental, but maintaining group cohesion is a challenging task.
2. How did you become a CEO or executive of a large enterprise? Can you please briefly tell the story?
I have been gaining experience for more than 10 years in the offshore market, and the commitment to results, constant search for continuous improvement and leadership, were the way to reach a manager position.
3. How do you structure your work days from waking up to going to sleep?
Constant planning. Anticipating scenarios, planning daily activities, individual needs to carry out each activity and mainly adjust activities and tasks according to the qualities and experience of each employee.
4. What's the most recent significant leadership lesson you've learned?
I recently held a drydock and received very positive feedback, due to being constantly at the activity sites, actively participating with employees, managing difficulties and problems. I believe that serving employees is of the utmost importance.
5. What's one book that has had a profound impact on your leadership so far? Can you please briefly tell the story of how that book impacted your leadership?
The Monk and the Executive – A Story About the Essence of Leadership - James C. Hunter and The Bible. Learning about the leadership of Jesus impacted me a lot and gave me the right direction. Jesus' teachings endure today and I see them bearing fruit in my work and progress.
6. How do you build leadership capacity in a large enterprise?
Knowing on the spot its employees, their characteristics, their needs to exercise their functions and demonstrate to them their importance to the company. And the main thing, seek to serve.
7. What is one meaningful story that comes to mind from your time as a CEO or executive of a large enterprise so far?
You can do it. I come from a humble place but with a lot of study I reached the Brazilian merchant marine university and kept my studies and the will to learn and be committed always in focus. My history of victory is undoubtedly a testimony that with determination, study, commitment and believing in God we can achieve our goals.