7 Questions with Schenae Rourk
Name: Schenae Rourk
Current title: President and CEO
Current organisation: Redwood Resources
Schenae Rourk is President and CEO of Redwood Resources, a strategic procurement, diversity and inclusion consulting firm.
Ms. Rourk is active in the small business community and community at large. She is the current Chair of the Transportation Business Advisory Committee (TBAC) at Metro, a member of the BART Advisory Council, and the Advocacy Co-Chair Committee of BizFed. She is also on the Caltrans IOAI task force for small and diverse business growth and a member of the Los Angeles Business Council. She also serves as the volunteer VP on the Board of Directors for the National Association of Women Business Owners - California and is the former President of the local chapter of National Association of Women Business Owners. Ms. Rourk is also the recipient of WTS-LA Rosa Parks award for 2020
1. What have you found most challenging as a CEO or executive of a large enterprise?
I work with entities that are large enterprises. I would say it would fall to culture and people.
2. How did you become a CEO or executive of a large enterprise? Can you please briefly tell the story?
It’s my own business.
3. How do you structure your work days from waking up to going to sleep?
Make bed in morning; meditate, read; coffee. Not always in that order. Review day and stop around 6pm or 7pm.
4. What's the most recent significant leadership lesson you've learned?
5. What's one book that has had a profound impact on your leadership so far? Can you please briefly tell the story of how that book impacted your leadership?
Traction. Defines the roles and need for an implementer or integrator.
6. How do you build leadership capacity in a large enterprise?
Seasoned expert managers who buy into the culture.
7. What is one meaningful story that comes to mind from your time as a CEO or executive of a large enterprise so far?
When people stay or when you can fulfill a livelihood for families.