Thank you to the 1,400 leaders who’ve generously done the 7 questions!
I hope reading
7 Questions with Nuno Matos
helps you in your leadership.
7 Questions with Nuno Matos
Name: Nuno Matos
Current title: CFO
Current organisation: Future Motion SA
Versatile and highly accomplished Senior Finance Professional, offering experience in the areas of corporate finance and international financial management, business development and organizational turnaround, and due diligence with industry’s best practices. Turnaround and “pilot-project” implementation specialist with extensive leadership, Shared Services Centre and management skills; rich exposure to International business strategy, systems and procedure development, and organizational planning with specialization in conducting a thorough business and financial due diligence to determine and recommend the best way forward, which may include change management, systems improvement, etc. Strong analytical, problem-solving and decision-making skills with a passion for work well done, together with the quality and ability to build productive partnerships coupled with excellent communication skills.
1. What have you found most challenging as a CEO or executive of a large enterprise?
To be always available for my people spread over 4 continents
2. How did you become a board member of a large enterprise? Can you please briefly tell the story?
As CFO from Future Holding, and one of the key people for building this large engineering group, I was invited to become part of the board.
3. How do you structure your work days from waking up to going to sleep?
It is important to say we are working from home since 13th March 2020. I´ve started my days with a brief meeting with my closest team. I have 2 hours minimum during the day for myself, to dispatch my personal work. I've started early and leave late, sometimes it is needed to talk with Brazil during my evening/night time.
4. What's the most recent significant leadership lesson you've learned?
To be a good leader, I have to be well in physical and mainly psychological terms
5. What are some of the keys to doing governance well in a large enterprise?
Learn, learn, and learn... Listen, listen, and listen.... and do not be afraid to decide.
6. How do you differentiate between the role of board member and the roles of CEO or executive team member of a large enterprise?
Being part of the board, we are part of a team, with different responsibilities, knowledge, and experiences to decide together. Being a CEO is a more lonely position at the time of decision.
7. What is one meaningful story that comes to mind from your time as a board member of a large enterprise so far?
More than a story is feeling that our decisions make difference in our colleagues live, or for our stakeholders.... even more in this COVID-19 environment