Updated: Nov 17, 2022
1. After Jackie Robinson, the most important black in baseball history is Reggie Jackson. — Reggie Jackson.
2. Never let your head hang down. Never give up and sit down and grieve. Find another way. Satchel Paige
3. When you get up to the plate, nobody’s there to help you. You’ve got to do this on your own. Ichiro Suzuki
4. I swing big, with everything I've got. I hit big or I miss big. I like to live as big as I can. — Babe Ruth.
5. I owe baseball. Baseball don’t owe me a damn thing. – Pete Rose
6. For all its gentility, its almost leisurely pace, baseball is violence under wraps. — Willie Mays.
7. Pitching is the art of instilling fear. Sandy Koufax
8. There are three types of baseball players—those who make it happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happens. – Tommy Lasorda
9. Slumps are like a soft bed. They're easy to get into and hard to get out of. — Johnny Bench.
10. The only thing I can do is play baseball. I have to play ball. It’s the only thing I know. – Mickey Mantle
11. People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. — Rogers Hornsby.
12. I want to be remembered as a ballplayer who gave all he had to give. – Roberto Clemente
13. Hey, Dad. You wanna have a catch? – Field of Dreams
14. No matter what I talk about, I always get back to baseball. – Connie Mack
15. Baseball gives every American boy a chance to excel, not just to be as good as someone else but to be better than someone else. This is the nature of man and the name of the game. – Ted Williams
16. Baseball is not life. It is fiction, a metaphor. And a ballplayer is a man who agrees to uphold that metaphor as though lives were at stake. – David James Duncan
17. I have observed that baseball is not unlike war, and when you get right down to it, we batters are the heavy artillery. Ty Cobb
18. If you have a bad day in baseball, and start thinking about it, you will have 10 more. – Sammy Sosa
19. How can you not be romantic about baseball? – Moneyball
20. You know you're pitching well when the batters look as bad as you do at the plate. — Duke Snider.
21. I chose baseball because to me baseball is the best game of all. – Dave Winfield
22. For most baseball fans, maybe oldest is always best. We love baseball because it seizes and retains the past, like the snowy village inside a glass paperweight. — Donald Hall.
23. The only thing I can do is play baseball. I have to play ball. It's the only thing I know. — Mickey Mantle.
24. Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you. — Satchel Paige.
25. Don’t try to be a hero. Try to be a winner. – George Brett
26. The way to make coaches think you're in shape in the spring is to get a tan. — Whitey Ford.
27. Baseball is a universal language. Catch the ball, throw the ball, hit the ball. — Pete Rose.
28. Everybody makes mistakes, that's why they put erasers on pencils. — Tommy Lasorda.
29. A pitcher has to find out if a hitter is timid, and if he is, he has to remind the hitter he’s timid. Don Drysdale
30. Just keep going. Everybody gets better if they keep at it. Ted Williams
31. No matter how good you are, you’re going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are, you’re going to win one-third of your games. It’s the other third that makes the difference. – Tommy Lasorda
32. Yesterday's home runs don't win today's games. — Babe Ruth.
33. When I was coming up, I just wanted to play baseball and I’m doing what I love to do most. How can I feel pressure doing what I love to do? – Miguel Cabrera
34. I could have played baseball another year, but I would have been playing for the money, and baseball deserves better than that. – George Brett
35. Never allow the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game. — Babe Ruth.
36. Baseball is one of the most beautiful games. It is. It is a very Zen-like game. – Jim Jarmusch
37. Well, baseball was my whole life. Nothing's ever been as fun as baseball. — Mickey Mantle.
38. When baseball is no longer fun, it’s no longer a game. – Joe DiMaggio
39. Never allow the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game. – Babe Ruth
40. It's amazing what you can do in this game with a heart and a brain. — Buddy Bell.
41. I want to be remembered as a ballplayer who gave all he had to give. — Roberto Clemente.
42. I've found in life the more you practice, the better you get. — Ted Williams.
43. If I had to choose between baseball's Hall of Fame and first-class citizenship for all of my people. I would say first-class citizenship. — Jackie Robinson.
44. One of the greatest things about baseball is that you do not need much to play. All you need is a bat and a ball - not even a glove - and a whole lot of imagination. — David Ortiz.
45. Good pitching will always stop good hitting and vice-versa. — Casey Stengel.
46. The other sports are just sports. Baseball is a love. — Bryant Gumbel.
47. Heroes get remembered, but legends never die. — Babe Ruth.
48. There may be people that have more talent than you, but there is no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do. – Derek Jeter
49. Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand. — Leo Durocher.
50. Blind people come to the park just to hear him pitch. Reggie Jackson
51. People ask me what I do in winter when there’s no baseball. I’ll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. – Rogers Hornsby
52. There may be people that have more talent than you, but there is no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do. — Derek Jeter.
53. You can't be afraid to make errors! You can't be afraid to be naked before the crowd, because no one can ever master the game of baseball, or conquer it. — Lou Brock.
54. Baseball is not a sport you can achieve individually. — Curt Schilling.
55. The story of the curveball is the story of the game itself. Some would say, of life itself. Martin Quigley
56. I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn’t get there as fast. – Eddie Bane
57. If you want something enough and work hard to get it, your chances of success are greater. — Ted Williams.
58. My baseball team is called the I Ams. Just me and my clones on the roster. We’re devastating. Well, at least I am. Jarod Kintz
59. I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball. — Pete Rose.
60. I think I was the best baseball player I ever saw. — Willie Mays.
61. You can’t get real happy or real depressed when you play baseball. Baseball is a great sport in that it offers a player a lot of opportunities for atonement. – Mike Piazza
62. Hustle is just playing the game right. – Jimmy Rollins
63. If you're not practicing, somebody else is, somewhere, and he'll be ready to take your job. — Brooks Robinson.
64. Do what you love to do and give it your very best. Whether it’s business or baseball, or the theater, or any field. If you don’t love what you’re doing and you can’t give it your best, get out of it. Life is too short. You’ll be an old man before you know it. – Al Lopez
65. Baseball gives a growing boy self-poise and self-reliance. Baseball is a man maker. – Al Spalding
66. A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives. — Jackie Robinson.
67. A team is where a boy can prove his courage on his own. A gang is where a coward goes to hide. — Mickey Mantle.
68. Baseball was, is and always will be to me the best game in the world. – Babe Ruth
69. There is no room in baseball for discrimination. It is our national pastime and a game for all. – Lou Gehrig
70. Baseball was, is and always will be to me the best game in the world. — Babe Ruth.
71. You could be a kid for as long as you want when you play baseball. — Cal Ripken Jr.
72. Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. — Yogi Berra.
73. Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is. — Bob Feller.
74. Baseball is a game of inches. – Branch Rickey
75. Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. — Satchel Paige.
76. What you are thinking, what shape your mind is in, is what makes the biggest difference of all. — Willie Mays.
77. Remember these two things: play hard and have fun. Tony Gwynn
78. To succeed in baseball, as in life, you must make adjustments. – Ken Griffey Jr.
79. I was born to play baseball. – Roberto Clemente
80. There are three things you can do in a baseball game. You can win, or you can lose, or it can rain. – Casey Stengel
81. To me, baseball has always been a reflection of life. Like life, it adjusts. It survives everything. – Willie Stargell
82. My theory of hitting was just to watch the ball as it came in and hit it. As I realized years later, that is still the finest theory of hitting yet devised. — Tommy Lasorda.
83. Man, this is baseball. You gotta stop thinking. Just have fun. I mean, if you were having fun you would’ve caught that ball. – The Sandlot
84. I love to play baseball. I’m a baseball player. I’ve always been a baseball player. I’m still a baseball player. That’s who I am. – Ryne Sandberg
85. I see great things in baseball. It’s our game—the American game. It will repair our losses and be a blessing to us all. – Walt Whitman
86. Work like you don’t need the money. Love like you’ve never been hurt. Dance like nobody’s watching. – Satchel Paige
87. What I am, what I have, what I am going to leave behind me - all this I owe to the game of baseball... — Babe Ruth.
88. The way I figured it, I was even with baseball and baseball with me. The game had done much for me, and I had done much for it. – Jackie Robinson
89. Baseball is such a tough game, it really humbles you at times, you just have to try not to get too high or too low. – Chase Utley
90. It’s a round ball and a round bat, and you got to hit it square. – Pete Rose
91. A man has to have goals – for a day, for a lifetime – and that was mine, to have people say, ‘There goes Ted Williams, the greatest hitter who ever lived. Ted Willams
92. Baseball is ninety percent mental. The other half is physical. — Yogi Berra.
93. It’s hard not to be romantic about baseball. This kind of thing, it’s fun for the fans. It sells tickets and hot dogs. Doesn’t mean anything. – Moneyball
94. Baseball is an art! A drama! A ballet without music! Let us give it a Greek chorus! — Deborah Wiles.
95. Life is like a baseball game. When you think a fastball is coming, you gotta be ready to hit the curve. – Jaja Q
96. There are only five things you can do in baseball: run, throw, catch, hit, and hit with power. – Leo Durocher
97. All ballplayers should quit when it starts to feel as if all the baselines run uphill. – Babe Ruth
98. That’s one of the great gifts of this, the greatest of all games, baseball: it allows you, still, to lose yourself in a dream, to feel and remember a season of life when summer never seemed to die and the assault of cynicism hadn’t begun to batter optimism. – Mike Barnicle
99. Deep down, it's all baseball, no matter what kind of geometrical shape you play it with. — Vernon D. Burns.
100. Never allow the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game. Babe Ruth
101. If there was any magic formula, it was getting to pitch every fourth day. — Sandy Koufax.
102. Baseball was 100% of my life. – Ty Cobb
103. In baseball, my theory is to strive for consistency, not to worry about the numbers. If you dwell on statistics you get shortsighted, if you aim for consistency, the numbers will be there at the end. – Tom Seaver
104. It's a round ball and a round bat, and you got to hit it square. — Pete Rose.
105. Baseball is a universe as large as life itself, and therefore all things in life, whether good or bad, whether tragic or comic, fall within its domain. – Paul Auster
106. The nice guys are all over there, in seventh place. — Leo Durocher.
107. Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. – Yogi Berra
108. A person always doing his or her best becomes a natural leader, just by example. Joe DiMaggio
109. The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination. — Tommy Lasorda.
110. A guy that throws what he intends to throw, that's the definition of a good pitcher. — Sandy Koufax.
111. When I’m not hitting, I don’t hit nobody. But, when I’m hitting, I hit anybody. Willie Mays
112. Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed 3 times out of 10 and be considered a good performer. – Ted Williams
113. It’s amazing what you can do in this game with a heart and a brain. Buddy Bell
114. Trying to sneak a pitch past Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak the sunrise past a rooster. – Joe Adcock
115. Slumps are like a soft bed. They’re easy to get into and hard to get out of. – Johnny Bench
116. More than any other American sport, baseball creates the magnetic, addictive illusion that it can almost be understood. — Thomas Boswell.
117. Baseball is a lot like life. It’s a day-to-day existence, full of ups and downs. You make the most of your opportunities in baseball as you do in life. – Ernie Harwell
118. To a pitcher, a base hit is the perfect example of negative feedback. — Steve Hovley.
119. In baseball, there’s always the next day. – Ryne Sandberg
120. You can’t think and hit at the same time. Yogi Berra
121. Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball. – Jacques Barzun
122. Find something you love and go after it with all of your heart. Jim Abbott
123. Baseball really is a glorified game of throw and catch. And if you don’t have guys who throw it really well, you can’t compete for long. – Tucker Elliot
124. I see great things in baseball. It's our game--the American game. — Walt Whitman.
125. The great thing about baseball is when you’re done, you’ll only tell your grandchildren the good things. If they ask me about 1989, I’ll tell them I had amnesia. – Sparky Anderson
126. It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life. — Mickey Mantle.
127. If you’re not practicing, somebody else is, somewhere, and he’ll be ready to take your job. – Brooks Robinson
128. Doctors tell me I have the body of a 30-year-old. I know I have the brain of a 15-year-old. If you’ve got both, you can play baseball. – Pete Rose
129. In this game of baseball, you live by the sword and die by it. You hit and get hit. Remember that. – Alvin Dark
130. Love the game of baseball and baseball will love you. — Babe Ruth.
131. There are three types of baseball players: those who make it happen, those who watch it happen and those who wonder what happens. — Tommy Lasorda.
132. Every strike brings me closer to the next home run. — Babe Ruth.
133. I’m going to do my best to help the team play hard and help the team win. I’m just coming to play baseball. – Asdrubal Cabrera
134. Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball. — Jacques Barzun.
135. Playing baseball for a living is like having a license to steal. — Pete Rose.
136. This is a great thing that’s happening in baseball. We don’t know if it will ever happen again. – Mark McGwire
137. I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat, and if it keeps up, I change bats. — Yogi Berra.
138. The first and last duty of the lover of the game of baseball, whether in the stands or on the field, is the same as that of the lover of life itself—to pay attention to it. When it comes to the position of catcher, as all but fools and shortstops will freely acknowledge, this solemn requirement is doubled. – Michael Chabon
139. Baseball is a lot like life. It's a day-to-day existence, full of ups and downs. You make the most of your opportunities in baseball as you do in life. — Ernie Harwell.
140. Baseball is 90% mental and the other half is physical. – Yogi Berra
141. Set your goals high, and don't stop till you get there. — Bo Jackson.
142. If you don't succeed at first, try pitching. — Jack Harshman.
143. Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don’t move. – Satchel Paige
144. The game of baseball isn’t over until it’s over. – Yogi Berra
145. Baseball is about talent, hard work, and strategy. But at the deepest level, it’s about love, integrity, and respect. – Pat Gillick
"146. In order to excel, you must be completely dedicated to your chosen sport. You must also be prepared to work hard and willing to accept constructive criticism. Without 100 percent dedication, you won’t be able to do this.
147. Hitting is timing. Pitching is upsetting timing. Warren Spahn
148. It took me 17 years to get 3,000 hits in baseball. It took one afternoon on the golf course. – Hank Aaron
149. I watch a lot of baseball on radio. – Gerald Ford
150. Baseball isn’t just a game. It’s life being played out on a field—a field of dreams—on diamonds of green, where players pursuing their dreams try to be the best they can be on the grandest stage of all—where men become boys and boys become men, all speaking one universal language without uttering a single word. – Tom Tatum
151. The key to winning baseball games is pitching, fundamentals, and three-run homers. – Earl Weaver
152. If my uniform doesn’t get dirty, I haven’t done anything in the baseball game. – Rickey Henderson
153. When I played ball, I didn’t play for fun… It’s no pink tea, and mollycoddles had better stay out. It’s a contest and everything that implies, a struggle for supremacy, a survival of the fittest. Ty Cobb
154. I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don’t think about it is when I’m playing it. – Carl Yastrzemski
155. It ain't like football. You can't make up no trick plays. — Yogi Berra.
156. I never blame myself when I’m not hitting. I just blame the bat, and if it keeps up, I change bats. – Yogi Berra
157. Baseball is a universal language. Catch the ball, throw the ball, hit the ball. – Pete Rose
158. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. — Hank Aaron.
159. That’s the beautiful thing about baseball. You can be any size and be successful. – Andrew Benintendi
160. This ain't fun. But you watch me, I'll get it done. — Jackie Robinson.
161. I’ve always wanted to be the best in the world as a baseball player, so when I started to think about opening a business, it was with that mindset. – Curt Schilling
162. Set your goals high, and don’t stop till you get there. – Bo Jackson
163. Baseball is like driving, it's the one who gets home safely that counts. — Tommy Lasorda.
164. It’s baseball. You’ve got to be the same guy every day, no matter if you go 4-for-4 or 0-for-4. Gordon Beckham
165. I became a good pitcher when I stopped trying to make them miss the ball and started trying to make them hit it. — Sandy Koufax.
166. I'm not perfect. Nobody's perfect. But I love baseball and I love to play hard. — Adrian Beltre.
167. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is. — Bob Feller.
168. Pitching is the art of instilling fear. – Sandy Koufax
169. Little League baseball is a very good thing because it keeps the parents off the streets. – Yogi Berra
170. Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is. — Bob Feller.
171. If my uniform doesn’t get dirty, I haven’t done anything in the baseball game. Rickey Henderson
172. Baseball is more than a game to me, it's a religion. — Bill Klem.
173. No baseball pitcher would be worth a darn without a catcher who could handle the hot fastball. – Casey Stengel
174. Practice perfect today, play like a champion tomorrow. Unknown
175. Set your goals high, and don’t stop till you get there. Bo Jackson
176. Baseball is almost the only orderly thing in a very unorderly world. – Bill Veeck
177. I was told I would never make it because I’m too short. Well, I’m still too short, but I’ve got 10 All-Star games, two World Series championships, and I’m a very happy and contented guy. It doesn’t matter what your height is, it’s what’s in your heart. – Kirby Puckett
178. Baseball is almost the only orderly thing in a very unorderly world. — Bill Veeck.
179. Baseball can be slow in many ways. The action starts with when the pitcher delivers the ball. But the action really starts when the crack of the bat happens. – Cal Ripken, Jr.
180. The great thing about baseball is there’s a crisis every day. – Gabe Paul
181. I chose baseball because to me baseball is the best game of all. — Dave Winfield.
182. The formula for success is simple: practice and concentration then more practice and more concentration. Babe Didrikson Zaharias
183. When a pitcher’s throwing a spitball, don’t worry and don’t complain, just hit the dry side like I do. Derek Jeter
184. Every strike brings me closer to the next home run. Babe Ruth
185. Little League baseball is a very good thing because it keeps the parents off the streets. — Yogi Berra.
186. It's hard to beat a person who never gives up. — Babe Ruth.
187. I do what I’ve trained my whole life to do. I watch the ball. I keep my eye on the ball. I never stop watching. I watch it as it sails past me and lands in the catcher’s mitt, a perfect and glorious strike three. – Barry Lyga
188. No game in the world is as tidy and dramatically neat as baseball, with cause and effect, crime and punishment, motive and result, so cleanly defined. – Paul Gallico
189. It isn’t hard to be good from time to time in sports. What is tough, is being good every day. Willie Mays
190. In baseball, you can’t kill the clock. You’ve got to give the other man his chance. That’s why this is the greatest game. – Earl Weaver
191. Baseball is a team game but, at the same time, it’s a very lonely game: unlike in soccer or basketball, where players roam around, in baseball, everyone has their little plot of the field to tend. When the action comes to you, the spotlight is on you but no one can help you. – Chad Harbach
192. It was all I lived for, to play baseball. – Mickey Mantle
193. I’m a guy who just wanted to see his name in the lineup every day. To me, baseball was a passion to the point of obsession. – Brooks Robinson
194. The more pitches you see, the more dangerous you become. Hawk Harrelson
195. If you're going to play at all, you're out to win. Baseball, board games, Jeopardy, I hate to lose. — Derek Jeter.
196. Back in my day, we didn’t think about money as much. We enjoyed playing the game. We loved baseball. I didn’t think about anybody else but the Cardinals. – Stan Musial
197. If it wasn't for baseball, I'd be in either the penitentiary or the cemetery. — Babe Ruth.
198. You may not think you’re going to make it. You may want to quit. But if you keep your eye on the ball, you can accomplish anything. – Hank Aaron
199. I always dreamed of making it in baseball, but life has moved pretty quickly for me. – Mike Trout
200. I never smile when I have a bat in my hands. That's when you've got to be serious. — Hank Aaron.
201. Nobody wanted me. Scouts told me to go to school, to forget baseball. Coaches said, ‘You’re never going to make it.’ I appreciated their honesty because I think when someone tells you something you may not like, you have to use that as fuel for motivation. – Mike Piazza
202. The pitcher has to find out if the hitter is timid. And if the hitter is timid, he has to remind the hitter he's timid. — Don Drysdale.
203. If there are any curses left in baseball, they are all on the north side of Chicago. — Tucker Elliot.
204. Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday’s success or put its failures behind and start over again. That’s the way life is, with a new game every day, and that’s the way baseball is. Bob Feller
205. Rub some dirt on it, you ain’t hurt. Unknown
206. A guy that throws what he intends to throw, that’s the definition of a good pitcher. – Sandy Koufax
207. Baseball life is a tough life on the family. – Nolan Ryan
208. The more you play baseball, the less depends on your athletic ability. It’s a mental war more than anything. – Alex Rodriguez
209. If a ballplayer is satisfied, he’s going to slip. You have to keep fighting to improve. Nellie Fox
210. My motto was always to keep swinging. – Hank Aaron
211. Baseball gives a growing boy self-poise and self-reliance. Baseball is a man maker. — Albert Goodwill Spalding.
212. I’ve found in life the more you practice, the better you get. – Ted Williams
213. Baseball is more than a game to me, it’s a religion. – Bill Klem
214. You gotta be a man to play baseball for a living, but you gotta have a lot of little boy in you. Roy Campanella
215. One of the beautiful things about baseball is that every once in a while you come into a situation where you want to, and where you have to, reach down and prove something. – Nolan Ryan
216. In order to excel, you must be completely dedicated to your chosen sport. You must also be prepared to work hard and be willing to accept constructive criticism. Without 100% dedication, you won’t be able to do this. – Willie Mays
217. My motto was always to keep swinging.. — Hank Aaron.
218. Well, it took me 17 years to get 3,000 hits in baseball, and I did it in one afternoon on the golf course. —Hank Aaron.
219. Baseball is a team sport played by individuals for themselves. – Joe Torre
220. Beethoven can't really be great because his picture isn't on a bubble gum card. — Charles Schulz.
221. Baseball is not a sport you can achieve individually. – Curt Schilling
222. If my uniform doesn't get dirty, I haven't done anything in the baseball game. — Rickey Henderson.
223. Baseball is more than a game to me, it’s a religion. William Joseph Klem
224. I love baseball. The game allowed me the influence to impact kids in a positive way. This gives me a chance to talk to some social issues. – Cal Ripken, Jr.
225. I can honestly say it took two full years for me to get over the fact that I was no longer a baseball player. – Nolan Ryan
226. Baseball is the greatest game in the world and deserves the best you can give it. — Babe Ruth.
227. A baseball game is simply a nervous breakdown divided into nine innings. – Earl Wilson
228. A baseball game is simply a nervous breakdown divided into nine innings. — Earl Wilson.
229. Baseball is like a poker game. Nobody wants to quit when he’s losing; nobody wants you to quit when you’re ahead. – Jackie Robinson
230. It helps if the hitter thinks you're a little crazy. — Nolan Ryan.
231. Do what you love to do and give it your very best. Whether it’s business or baseball, or the theater, or any field. If you don’t love what you’re doing and you can’t give it your best, get out of it. Life is too short. Al Lopez
232. My pitching philosophy is simple—keep the ball away from the bat. – Satchel Paige
233. Baseball is like a poker game. Nobody wants to quit when he's losing; nobody wants you to quit when you're ahead. — Jackie Robinson.
234. There are three things you can do in a baseball game. You can win, or you can lose, or it can rain. — Casey Stengel.
235. Baseball is like driving, it’s the one who gets home safely that counts. – Tommy Lasorda
236. You can’t be afraid to make errors! You can’t be afraid to be naked before the crowd, because no one can ever master the game of baseball, or conquer it. You can only challenge it. – Lou Brock
237. The pitcher has got only a ball. I’ve got a bat. So the percentage of weapons is in my favor and I let the fellow with the ball do the fretting. Hank Aaron
238. There are only two seasons - winter and baseball. — Bill Veeck.
239. With baseball, it’s simple. There’s no mystery to what happens on the field because everything has a label—full count, earned run, perfect game— and there’s a certain amount of comfort in this terminology. There’s no room for confusion. – Jennifer E. Smith
240. A ball player has to be kept hungry to become a big leaguer. That's why no boy from a rich family has ever made the big leagues. — Joe DiMaggio.
241. Your job as a baseball player is to come to the park ready to play every day, and the manager, it’s his job to make those decisions about who plays. – Cal Ripken, Jr.
242. There are two theories on hitting the knuckleball. Unfortunately, neither one of them works. — Charlie Lau.
243. What you have to remember is that baseball isn’t a week or a month but a season—and a season is a long time. – Chuck Tanner
244. Defense to me is the key to playing baseball. – Willie Mays
245. Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday’s success or put its failures behind and start over again. That’s the way life is, with a new game every day, and that’s the way baseball is. – Bob Feller
246. In baseball, democracy shines its clearest. The only race that matters is the race to the bag. The creed is the rule book. And color, merely something to distinguish one team’s uniform from another’s. – Ernie Harwell
247. The funny thing about these uniforms is that you hang them in the closet, and they get smaller and smaller. – Curt Flood
248. I didn’t understand anything about playing baseball. I started playing, and it was enjoyable. Most of my life, I played with older people on my team, in my league. I learned a lot about life. Every day in my life, I learned something new from somebody. – Ernie Banks
249. I believe in the Church of Baseball. I’ve tried all the major religions and most of the minor ones. But bad trades are part of baseball—now who can forget Frank Robinson for Milt Pappas, for God’s sake? It’s a long season and you gotta trust it. I’ve tried ’em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball. – Bull Durham
250. Playing baseball is not real life. It's a fantasy world... It's a dream come true. — Dale Murphy.
251. Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move. — Satchel Paige.
252. Every strike brings me closer to the next home run. – Babe Ruth
253. The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game—it’s a part of our past, Ray. It reminds us of all that once was good and that could be again. – James Earl Jones
254. Athletes are born winners, there not born losers, and the sooner you understand this, the faster you can take on a winning attitude and become successful in life. Charles R. Sledge Jr.
255. It ain’t over ’til it’s over. Yogi Berra
256. Yesterday’s home runs don’t win today’s games. – Babe Ruth
257. When you step into the batter's box, have nothing on your mind except baseball. — Pete Rose.
258. Never say never in this game because crazy stuff can happen. Mark Buehrle
259. Don't be afraid to take advice. There's always something new to learn. — Babe Ruth.
260. I’d walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball. – Pete Rose
261. Guessing what the pitcher is going to throw is eighty percent of being a successful hitter. The other twenty percent is just execution. Jerry Brondfield
262. No one has come up with a substitute for hard work. — Ted Williams.
263. Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer. — Ted Williams.
264. Well, baseball was my whole life. Nothing’s ever been as fun as baseball. – Mickey Mantle
265. The way a team plays as a whole determines its success. — Babe Ruth.
266. Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand. – Leo Durocher
267. Never permit the pressure to exceed the pleasure. Joe Maddon
268. I was getting paid forty-thousand dollars a year, the very least I could do was hit .400. Ted Williams
269. Baseball is a simple game. If you have good players and if you keep them in the right frame of mind then the manager is a success. – Sparky Anderson
270. Baseball is more than a game. It’s like life played out on a field. – Juliana Hatfield
271. In playing ball, and in life, a person occasionally gets the opportunity to do something great. When that time comes, only two things matter: being prepared to seize the moment and having the courage to take your best swing. – Hank Aaron
272. The best pitchers have a short-term memory and a bulletproof confidence. – Greg Maddux
273. People ask me what I do in winter when there’s no baseball. I’ll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. Rogers Hornsby