Name: Chris Gengan
Title: Lean Transformation Manager
Organisation: Sappi SA
Residing in Durban - South Africa
Passion for people empowerment
Thank you to the 2,000 leaders who’ve generously done the 7 Questions on Leadership!
I hope Chris's answers will encourage you in your leadership journey. Enjoy!
1. What have you found most challenging as a leader?
People going into leadership roles because of their technical proficiency & not off their leadership ability
2. How did you become a leader? Can you please briefly tell the story?
Moved into a Learning Manager position some 30 years ago and part of my role was leadership development which I embraced
3. How do you structure your work days from waking up to going to sleep?
Wake up on self-refection & preparedness for the day ahead as I need to spill my positive energy onto others.
4. What's a recent leadership lesson you've learned for the first time or been reminded of?
Embracing all viewpoints of people as it's their reality, I can only influence..
5. What's one book that has had a profound impact on your leadership so far? Can you please briefly tell the story of how that book impacted your leadership?
7 Habits of Highly Effective People & Good to Great
I use this to empower myself to lead others.
6. If you could only give one piece of advice to a young leader, what would you say to them?
Be positive, embrace AI & be focused.
7. What is one meaningful story that comes to mind from your time as a leader, so far?
Learning of humility in others to accept and develop people.