Name: Evans K. Dorsu
Title: Chief Executive Officer, EFYMA
Organisation: Enlightening the Future Through Youth Mentorship Association (EFYMA)
I am the CEO, EFYMA. This is an association that focuses on career guidance and entrepreneurship development. The current President, GECCC-UEW. This organization also focuses on environmental sustainability. I am an inspirational leader who wants to change the mindset of young people from problem embracers to solution providers.
Thank you to the 2,000 leaders who’ve generously done the 7 Questions on Leadership!
I hope Evans's answers will encourage you in your leadership journey. Enjoy!
1. What have you found most challenging as a leader?
Working with people who are not passionate to what they’re doing.
2. How did you become a leader? Can you please briefly tell the story?
The passion to create an avenue for people to achieve their full potentials and to see people doing the right thing reveal my identity as a leader. I started the journey at the pre-tertiary level when I was appointed as the Head Students Chaplain and the president of CASA. I possess leadership qualities like integrity, discipline, tolerance and loyalty. These were the qualities that uplift me to the level I am now. At I serve because it’s for this course, I live.
I became a leader because I identify, nurture and mentor as well as motivate young people to live their dream.
3. How do you structure your work days from waking up to going to sleep?
I write my schedule down and give space to the uncertainties. That way, I know the amount of time that’s to be spent on each movement I make
4. What's a recent leadership lesson you've learned for the first time or been reminded of?
No two people wants the same thing. Therefore, treat everyone individually
5. What's one book that has had a profound impact on your leadership so far? Can you please briefly tell the story of how that book impacted your leadership?
Titled “When you can walk on water, Take the boat” I learnt that life is structured and it’s always not smooth as we want but your creator has plans for you. Therefore, live life believing that things will be better someday
6. If you could only give one piece of advice to a young leader, what would you say to them?
Stay calm and never react if you don’t know the whole story. Listen to criticism but never let it break your dream. Keep hoping for a better future
7. What is one meaningful story that comes to mind from your time as a leader, so far?
The part where people will tell you their mind and you can’t do anything about it even when it hurt.