Name: Paul Aver
Title: Managing Partner
Organisation: Frontier Path Venture Capital
An seasoned VC and PE professional with 20+ years of experience in Germany, UK, US, and the UAE.
Thank you to the 2,000 leaders who’ve generously done the 7 Questions on Leadership!
I hope Paul's answers will encourage you in your leadership journey. Enjoy!
1. What have you found most challenging as a leader?
1)Leading a Team: This involves team-building, development, and management.
2) Inspiring Others: Motivating and inspiring team members to ensure their satisfaction and productivity.
3) Developing Employees: The challenge of effectively coaching and mentoring team members.
4) Guiding Change: Leading and managing change within the organization.
5) Managing Stakeholders: Balancing the needs and expectations of various stakeholders.
6) Effective Communication: Ensuring effective communication with team members, senior managers, and clients
2. How did you become a leader? Can you please briefly tell the story?
I started my career 23 years ago in Germany in a data security sector. Then many years in financial services and in 2017 I ended up as a fintech IT entrepreneur. The passion to innovation and technology brought the idea of the Venture Firm that I am leading now with my partner in the Bay Area.
3. How do you structure your work days from waking up to going to sleep?
I wake at 05:30 and go to the gym first. Around 8am I am in the office and focus on dealing most complex and urgent matters till lunch. After lunch spend the majority of time on investors, sourcing new opportunities and strategic planning.
4. What's a recent leadership lesson you've learned for the first time or been reminded of?
Never quit and always keep trying when something doesn't work. Fine tune the process till it works.
5. What's one book that has had a profound impact on your leadership so far? Can you please briefly tell the story of how that book impacted your leadership?
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change by Stephen R. Covey
6. If you could only give one piece of advice to a young leader, what would you say to them?
Just do it. If something does not work, change the way and try again
7. What is one meaningful story that comes to mind from your time as a leader, so far?
We have been working on a complex deal and it was not going well. We all lost focus and hope for some time. Then things worked out themselves very well and we closed the deal.