1. “With age comes wisdom…and wrinkles.”
2. “You’re older today than yesterday but younger than tomorrow, happy 40th birthday!”
3. “Another birthday means your life journey is incomplete. May your path be paved with success and guided by love.”
4. After today, I’m celebrating my birthday in dog years.
5. I don’t care how old I’m turning, so long as there’s cake.
6. “Look forward to all that this next decade has to hold.”
7. “We turn not older with years, but newer every day.” – Emily Dickinson
8. “Count not the candles…see the lights they give. Count not the years, but the life you live. Wishing you a wonderful time ahead. Happy 40th birthday.”
9. Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional
10. “Happy 39th birthday for the second year in a row.”
11. A wise man once said, ‘Forget about your past, you cannot change it’. I’d like to add, ‘Forget about your present, I didn’t get you one’. Happy 40th!
12. “Growing old is like being increasingly penalized for a crime you have not committed.” – Anthony Powell
13. Happy 40th birthday! You are officially a Distinguished Gentleman.
14. “The old believe everything; the middle-aged suspect everything; the young know everything.” — Oscar Wilde
15. Today is your big day, so make sure it’s filled with everything YOU want to do. If anyone deserves a day all about them, it’s someone as incredible as YOU!
16. “Why party like it is 1999 when you can party like it is your birthday?” — Prince
17. Daughter, you have grown into such an amazing woman. You must have gotten that from me! Thank you for making it so easy to be proud of you. Happy 40th birthday, my angel!
18. “Like many women my age, I am 28 years old.” — Mary Schmich
19. Related: 15 Types Of Friends You Need To Have Throughout Your Life
20. “Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it don’t matter.” — Satchel Paige
21. “Life really does begin at forty. Up until then, you are just doing research”- Carl Jung
22. Woke up a little older… but not wiser.
23. “40 and Fabulous!”
24. If you like these 40th birthday captions, head to our list of Funny Birthday Captions for more.
25. “Count your age by friends, not years. Count your life by smiles, not tears.” — John Lennon
26. Chapter 40, Page 1.
27. Happy birthday to a special friend. If your next 40 years are half as good as the first, you will have had a pretty amazing life.
28. You deserve only the best on your birthday because you have been nothing but the best daughter to us. My heart is forever grateful to God because He gave me a daughter who’s not only a blessing to me but to many others, too. I hope that this birthday will be a wonderful one. I love you. May you always be blessed, and may you have many more birthdays to enjoy. Happy 40th birthday!
29. If I look back at everything I’ve done in life, you’re easily the best thing I’ve ever created. It’s honestly a miracle that I was able to have a son as delightful and genuine as you. Happy birthday, son!
30. Forty is the age when you will finally realize why your mom and dad loved afternoon naps and why they were so cranky all the time. Happy 40th birthday!
31. “Having to blow out 40 candles on your birthday this year? I guess then we’ll know whether you truly are a windbag.”
32. “For me, the end of childhood came when the number of candles on my birthday cake no longer reflected my age, around 19 or 20. From then on, each candle came to represent an entire decade.” — Yotam Ottolenghi
33. “Everything I know I learned after I was 30.” — Georges Clemenceau
34. “Success is like reaching an important birthday and finding you’re exactly the same.” — Audrey Hepburn
35. 40 isn’t old if you’re a tree. Happy birthday.
36. For your birthday, I hope that you will always have love and happiness in your life. Happy 40th birthday, son. Thank you for letting me enjoy fatherhood!
37. “I still think of myself as I was 25 years ago. Then I look in a mirror and see an old bastard and I realize it’s me.” – Dave Allen
38. I’ll bet you were hoping no one would notice you were turning 40. Well, no such luck! Happy birthday!
39. “If we could be twice young and twice old we could correct all our mistakes.” – Euripides
40. They say 40 is the new 30. However, it should be noted that they often lie.
41. I hate to remind you of your old age, but… you’re forty! Happy birthday!
42. “When a man has a birthday, he takes a day off. When a woman has a birthday, she takes at least three years off.” – Joan Rivers
43. “Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you’ve got to start young.” — Fred Astaire
44. Hope this day gives you time to unwind and finally relax. It’s about time we all remind you just how cherished and loved you are.
45. Postponing my birthday until further notice.
46. “Celebrate your journey of life.” — Lailah Gifty Akita
47. “You know you’re 40 when your back is hairier than your head.”
48. “To me a birthday means celebrating the presence of an individual in our lives.” – Meena Bajaj
49. “Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional” – Chili Davis
50. At twenty years of age, the will reigns; at thirty, the wit; and at forty, the judgement. — Benjamin Franklin
51. To my best friend and soulmate, you’re the greatest blessing one could have. I wish for our love to continue to grow strong.
52. Don’t think of it as your 40th birthday. Think of it as the 20th anniversary of your 20th birthday. Happiest birthday!
53. “To know how to grow old is the masterwork of wisdom, and one of the most difficult chapters in the great art of living.” — Henri Frederic Amiel
54. Welcome to the golden age! Happy 40th birthday!
55. “The way I see it, you should live every day like it’s your birthday.” — Paris Hilton
56. “The first 40 years of being a kid are the hardest.”
57. “Life really does begin at forty. Up until then, you are just doing research.” — Carl Gustav Jung
58. You are the most selfless person that I know. For as long as I have known you, you have always put other people’s happiness first. On your 40th birthday, I pray that you will follow your heart and do the things that you have always wanted to do. It’s time to treat yourself to something special because you truly deserve it. I love you so much, dear son. Happy birthday!
59. “Welcome to 40, an age when you’re still young at heart, but other body parts are starting to falter.”
60. “The key to being a young 40 is having friends much older than you are.”
61. “Live not one’s life as though one had a thousand years, but live each day as the last.” – Marcus Aurelius
62. They say too much of everything is bad, but I beg to differ with that statement since too much of you, my sweet friend, is heavenly. Have a lovely 40th birthday.
63. “Wow, you’re 40! You were such a happenin’ dude. What happened, Dude?”
64. “Just remember, once you’re over the hill you begin to pick up speed.” — Charles Schulz
65. 40 years old ain’t bad at all!
66. Age is just something you write on a form. Happy 40th birthday!
67. Happy 40th, bud! How does it feel to be the world’s oldest kid?
68. “I cannot thank you enough for turning 40 first.”
69. You’re fortylicious!
70. Happy birthday to my beautiful wife, who is way too sexy to be 40 years old.
71. “The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.” — Lucille Ball
72. “Just something to think about: The Roman Numerals for forty (40) are XL.”
73. “Another year comes to a close, and another begins. May the coming year be one that will be filled with laughter of friends, love of family, and the life that you dream of.” — Catherine Pulsifer
74. “I wish people would stop talking about my birthday.” – George Bernard Shaw
75. Happy birthday! And remember you’re not 40 …you’re 18 with 22 years of experience.
76. Once you hit your forties, everything will start to make sense. You will realize that life is too short to be spent worrying about petty things. You will realize that friends and family are the real treasures in life. You will think about the chances you did not take, the people you have hurt, and the relationships that did not have a happy ending. It’s okay. It’s okay to feel a little sad every birthday, too. But once the sadness disappears, you should be happy because you have been blessed with another year in this world. Another year to do the things you love, to be with the people you love, and to be a blessing to others. Happy 40th birthday, dear son.
77. I would have planned a big 40th birthday party for you, but who would’ve thought that you’d make it this far?
78. “You are definitely forty if you notice that all your sentences start from ‘When I was younger…’.”
79. “Turning 40 is not the end of your story. It’s a fresh start.”
80. Sending love to my favorite person on her special day. Here’s to another great year!
81. “Every age can be enchanting, provided you live within it.” — Brigitte Bardot
82. “FORTY – Flirty, Optimistic, Risky, Teasing and Youthful.”
83. “The great thing about getting older is that you don’t lose all the other ages you’ve been.” — Madeleine L’Engle
84. “Every birthday is a gift. Every day is a gift.” — Aretha Franklin
85. Cupcake with short funny birthday wishes
86. “You don’t look a day over 29!”
87. Jot one of these down on a birthday card or include them in your birthday speech to bring the roof down at the party.
88. “There are three hundred and sixty-four days when you might get un-birthday presents, and only one for birthday presents, you know.” — Lewis Carroll
89. “Put candles in a cake, it’s a birthday cake. Put candles in a pie, and somebody’s drunk in the kitchen.” – Jim Gaffigan
90. “Let us never know what old age is. Let us know the happiness time brings, not count the years.” — Ausonius
91. Here are a few of our favorite 40th birthday sayings.
92. “Here’s to 29 years, with 11 years of experience.”
93. “A birthday is not a day to fear. It is a day to celebrate and look forward to the coming year.” —Byron Pulsifer
94. “I believe that no matter what condition you are in when someone close to your heart remembers your birthday and wishes you a happy birthday, you feel happy.” – A. Singla
95. “You have accomplished so much these past 4 decades and so many more opportunities as headed your way.”
96. “When you’re 40, don’t worry about being over the hill. At least you’re not still climbing it.”
97. “We grow neither better nor worse as we get old, but more like ourselves.” — Bernard Baruch
98. “Why is a birthday cake the only food you can blow on and spit on and everybody rushes to get a piece?” – Bobby Kelton
99. “Happy birthday! Hoping your 40s will feel incredibly new and exciting like your 20s — only doubly so!”
100. Congratulations on being born a really long time ago.
101. Forever be beautiful, inside and out. Happy 40th birthday.
102. “A wish for you on your birthday, whatever you ask may you receive, whatever you seek may you find, whatever you wish may it be fulfilled on your birthday and always. Happy birthday!”
103. “You know you’re getting old when you get that one candle on the cake. It’s like, ‘See if you can blow this out.’” — Jerry Seinfeld
104. “You’re like a fine wine, you keep getting better with age.”
105. “At 40 some guy calls you “Darlin’” and it makes your day.”
106. “Congratulations on four decades of sheer awesomeness!”
107. “40 never looked so good!”
108. 40?! YOU?! I demand a recount! Happy birthday!
109. “Birthdays are inevitable, beautiful and very particular moments in our lives! Moments that bring precious memories back, celebrate the present times and give hope for the future.” — Babe Arish
110. Hikers heading to mountains
111. “Let this birthday bring peace to your soul and happiness to your heart.”
112. “Age is strictly a case of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter”- Jack Benny
113. “Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is not here, so live today and enjoy the year.”
114. When you were born, I couldn’t even fathom how much you’d come to mean to me. You are my everything. May your special day be filled with untold splendor. Happy 40th birthday!
115. You’re 40 times more incredible today!
116. Happy 40th birthday to the most remarkable, gorgeous woman I know.
117. I will always be thankful for your birthday because this is the day that you came into this world. Have the most amazing 40th birthday!
118. “From our birthday, until we die, is but the winking of an eye.” — William Butler Yeats
119. “You’re just as good looking as two 20-year-olds.”
120. appy birthday to my favorite 40-year-old. Hope you’re planning to stick around for many more years because I couldn’t possibly find another friend like you.
121. “A diplomat is a man who always remembers a woman’s birthday but never remembers her age.” — Robert Frost
122. “Life begins at forty”- Walter B. Pitkin
123. Congrats on turning the big 4-oh. You’ve accomplished so much in your life, and to think, you’re just getting started.
124. “40 is when you finally get your head together and your body has other ideas.”
125. I hope you know that you will never be too old to come home and be pampered like a princess. Too embarrassed, yes, but never too old! May your 40th birthday be filled with lots of indulging in goodies this year.
126. Hiker near mountain with 40th birthday captions
127. Now you’re as sexy as two 20-year-olds. Happy 40th birthday!
128. “The first hundred years are the hardest.” — Wilson Mizner
129. “It’s great to have a friend to grow old with… glad you’re first.”
130. “Being 40 means you did you stupid before the internet.”
131. “They say 40 is the new 30. However, it should be noted that they often lie.”
132. The best years are still ahead of you. So, make the most of today. Happy 40th birthday.
133. “At twenty years of age, the will reigns; at thirty, the wit; and at forty, the judgment”- Benjamin Franklin
134. “Age is but a number that you don’t have to reflect on the outside.”
135. If gray hair is a sign of wisdom, then you’re a genius! Here comes the 40th birthday!
136. Daughter, time seems to have flown by. Just the other day, you could barely stand, and now I get to watch you run the world! Watching you grow up has been such a joy, and I know that only greatness lies ahead for you. May your birthday be just as spectacular as you are. Happy 40th birthday!
137. “If you want to feel young on your 40th birthday, just throw your party in an old folks’ home.”
138. “Each new year of life added to your past, changing the way you viewed every new day, influencing how you reacted to everything from the simplest daily routines to complex events touching you, your family, and the world you lived in.” — Paul Snyder
139. “Let them eat cake.” — Marie Antoinette
140. “Life’s milestones are not supposed to be counted, they’re supposed to be celebrated. Happy 40th birthday.”
141. What goes up but never comes down? Your age. Happy 40th birthday!
142. Hiker by lake with 40th birthday messages
143. “There is still so much life to be lived at the ripe age of 40.”
144. Sunset over beach with 40th birthday sayings
145. “Count your life by smiles, not tears. Count your age by friends, not years. Happy 40th birthday!”
146. “Every year on your birthday, you get a chance to start new.” — Sammy Hagar
147. “Few women admit their age. Few men act theirs.” — John Glenn
148. “Because time itself is like a spiral, something special happens on your birthday each year: The same energy that God invested in you at birth is present once again.” — Menachem Mendel Schneerson
149. “You know you’re 40 when you have a party and the neighbors don’t even realize..”
150. “Sure, your 30s are over. Good riddance, I say. The 40s are going to be so much better…in every way.”
151. My joy in having you as my son is something that can’t be measured. It can only be felt through lots of hugs, kisses, and adoration. I’m so happy I was blessed with a son as astounding as you. Happy birthday, my son!
152. You’ve always been a good-looking dude. Now you’re a good-looking older dude. Happy 40th birthday!
153. Happy birthday! And thank you so much for turning 40 before me!
154. “Birthdays are a great time to stop and appreciate gravity. Sure, it makes things sag as you get older, but it also keeps your cake from flying all over the room, so you don’t have to chase it.” – Greg Tamblyn
155. “Congratulations on being even more experienced. I’m not sure what you learned this year, but every experience transforms us into the people we are today. Happy 40th birthday!”
156. The secret to staying young is make-up… make up an age, then stick with it!
157. “Our wrinkles are our medals of the passage of life. They are what we have been through and who we want to be.” — Lauren Hutton
158. “We should celebrate every year that we made it through and every year that we’re happier and healthier.” — Ellen DeGeneres
159. “Life is a book and your forties are the chapters when it all starts making sense.”
160. Talented, Terrific, Tremendous, and Top-Notch for 40 years. Here’s wishing you a Happy birthday!
161. As your son enters the 4th decade of his life, take the opportunity to give him some life advice, and show your love.
162. “A birth-date is a reminder to celebrate the life as well as to update the life.” — Amit Kalantri
163. “Handmade presents are scary because they reveal that you have too much free time.” — Douglas Coupland
164. “Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!” — Dr. Seuss
165. “Birthdays are nature’s way of telling us to eat more cake.” — Edward Morykwas
166. It’s OK to light the 40 candles on your birthday cake now; I’ve already alerted the fire department.
167. As Helen Hayes says, age is not important unless you’re a cheese. Here’s a cheesy birthday wish for you, though.
168. “At middle age the soul should be opening up like a rose, not closing up like a cabbage”- John Andrew Holmes
169. You will always be my baby boy
170. “I hate to call you the F word, but… you’re forty!”
171. Lap 40 around the sun…
172. “Every time a woman turns 40 a cougar is born.”
173. “And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.” — Abraham Lincoln
174. “To keep the heart unwrinkled, to be hopeful, kindly, cheerful, reverent – that is to triumph over old age.” — Thomas Bailey Aldrich
175. “This wine is forty years old. It certainly doesn’t show its age”- Marcus Tullius Cicero
176. “Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened.” — Cora Harvey Armstrong
177. “When you’re 40, you have so much to look forward to – like a little peace and quiet when all the kids move out.”
178. “Old age deprives the intelligent man only of qualities useless to wisdom.” – Joseph Joubert
179. Subscribe to Routinely Nomadic!
180. Be proud of your wrinkles! That’s 40 years of knowledge!
181. “Don’t regret another birthday, the good news is that you are alive and can celebrate it.” – Catherine Pulsifer
182. It’s your 40th birthday? Not too late to get up to some mischief!
183. “No one holds a candle to you, especially on your birthday. You already have enough candles on your cake as it is.”
184. “You’re 40! Halfway between Diapers and Depends.”
185. You may not be over the hill yet, but you have a great view!
186. “Some birthday advice: don’t run upstairs right before you have to blow out 40 candles.”
187. To my dear friend, every moment with you has been a time filled with fun and love. I wish you always know just how happy you make me and everyone else around you. I love you and have a wonderful day.
188. Person looking at lake with happy 40th birthday wishes
189. Happy 40th Birthday Wishes
190. You’re not old! …oh, no wait, actually you are, sorry about that.
191. “Just be grateful you’re not forty in dog years.”
192. Happy birthday. It took you 40 years to look this good!
193. 39 was so last year. Happy birthday!
194. Your daughter’s 40th birthday party is a resounding success only if your wishes are added to the mix. Send her these beautiful thoughts today.
195. “Today you are another year older, and we know how fast time flies as we get older, therefore, live each day and be happy!” – Kate Summers
196. “Age is a high price to pay for maturity.” — Tom Stoppard
197. “ I regret to inform you, but your 30s have expired.”
198. “They say 40 is the new 30. Please tell that to my knees.”
199. “Congratulations to your 21 years (with 19 years of experience). Happy 40th Birthday!”
200. “No wise man ever wished to be younger.” — Jonathan Swift
201. “Whatever with the past has gone, the best is always yet to come.” — Lucy Larcom
202. A beautiful soul like yours deserves recognition every day, but for this special day, I wanted to say just how grateful I am to be filled with your love and care.
203. Check out these 40th birthday messages.
204. “Grow old along with me! The best is yet to be.” — Robert Browning
205. Get updates on the latest travel posts from Routinely Nomadic straight to your inbox.
206. “You know you’re 40 when someone offers you a seat on the bus. And you don’t refuse.”
207. Which birthday celebrant doesn’t like to feel special on this day? You can bring that feeling with just a few well-chosen words for the man.
208. Happy 40th birthday to my amazing husband! I’m still head over heels for you, and I always will be.
209. “Don’t worry, I’ll still tell people you’re 39.”
210. “Today is the oldest you have been, and the youngest you will ever be. Make the most of it!” – Nicky Gumbel
211. I’m just very proud to see that everything that you wanted to achieve, you have achieved. When I look at you, I can see peace, love, and joy in your eyes. This is all I ever wanted for you, my sweet child. To see you grow up and grow old happy. I thank the Lord that you have made all your dreams come true. Have a happy 40th birthday!
212. “Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life.” – Kitty Collins
213. I’m so proud to have you as a friend… even if you are old.
214. “Today, you’re a little more beautiful, smart, witty, and awesome. You happen to be a little older, too.”
215. “Everything you have worked for begins to fall into place when you turn 40.”
216. “The first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest.”
217. Officially 40, but still mentally about five.
218. “You’ve heard of the three ages of man – youth, age, and you are looking wonderful”- Francis Spellman
219. Don’t wanna be sappy so… let’s just say 40 is already one for the books.
220. “Middle age is when you still believe you’ll feel better in the morning.” — Bob Hope
221. “Life begins at 40.”—Walter Pitkin
222. “Don’t just count your years, make your years count.” – George Meredith
223. No matter what direction you take in life, I will always send you the best of wishes. I hope that this year your birthday is filled with everything you could possibly want. Happy 40th birthday, son!
224. “Happy birthday! May your Facebook wall be filled with messages from people you never talk to.”
225. “Older? Definitely. Wiser?…Mmm debatable. Happy Birthday!”
226. Happy birthday! I can’t wait to see what you do with your next 40 years.
227. “You were born an original. Don’t die a copy.” — John Mason
228. 40 is fine when you look 29.
229. “Cheers on your birthday. One step closer to adult underpants.”
230. “Happy Birthday to someone who’s Talented, Terrific, Tremendous, and Top-notch! Welcome to your four T’s!”
231. “Be happy that you are still 3,650 days away from turning fifty. Maybe this is the only way you can console yourself about turning forty. Happy 40th birthday.”
232. “My policy on cake is pro having it and pro eating it.” – Boris Johnson
233. “May you receive many gifts, and may your day be joyous, and best of all may you be surrounded by family and friends. May all you wish for come true.” — Theodore W. Higginsworth
234. “All the world is birthday cake, so take a piece, but not too much.” — George Harrison
235. If you like these happy 40th birthday wishes, you might also like our list of Funny Birthday Wishes.
236. Four decades of being your wonderful self. Happy birthday, buddy!
237. “You know you’re 40 when your back goes out more often than you do.”
238. “You’re 40. Which means that in dog years, you’re dead.”
239. “Wrinkles are tally marks of our birthdays. Here’s to another one!”
240. Person looking at lake with funny turning 40 sayings
241. “Most of us can remember a time when a birthday – especially if it was one’s own – brightened the world as if a second sun has risen.” — Robert Staughton Lynd
242. I have such sweet memories of you as a child, but I have faith that your future will hold even sweeter ones. I hope your cake is half as sweet as you are. Happy 40th birthday, son!
243. Don’t think of it as turning 40. We’re here to celebrate the 10th anniversary of your 4th birthday.
244. “Who said you’re done living life at 40? It’s merely just begun.”
245. May this birthday make you proud of all the things you have achieved and excited for all that you will achieve. May all your dreams and desires manifest in the most beautiful fashion. Happy 40th birthday!
246. These 40th birthday sayings are meaningful and thought-provoking. Bundle them with your love and send them across to convey that you are thinking of someone.
247. “Each ten years of a man’s life has its own fortunes, its own hopes, its own desires.” — Goethe
248. You’re a teen in a 40-year-old body. Happy birthday!
249. Middle age… when “happy hour” is a nap! Happy 40th!
250. “40 years old? You’re 4 perfect 10’s!”
251. “I was brought up to respect my elders, so now I don’t have to respect anybody.” — George Burns
252. Have a great 40th birthday! Too young to die and too old to Rock n Roll!
253. Don’t let aging get you down… it’s too hard to get back up again! Happy birthday, 40-year-old!
254. “Strive to be a 40 year old that makes people go, ‘I wanna be like that when I turn forty’.”
255. “A friend never defends a husband who gets his wife an electric skillet for her birthday.” – Erma Bombeck
256. Related: 43 Beautiful Poems For Daughters
257. “To think, when one is no longer young, when one is not yet old, that one is no longer young, that one is not yet old, that is perhaps something”- Samuel Beckett
258. “When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.” — Cherokee proverb
259. “Youth is a gift of nature but age is a work of art”- Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
260. You’ll love these 40th birthday slogans.
261. Cheers to good friends, good vibes, and another 40 years.
262. “If you’re 40 and slowing down isn’t an option, you might want to think twice about making U-turns.”
263. You know, I would be a lot more excited about you turning one year older if I was in your will. Happy birthday!
264. There are many things I wish for you in life – success, good health, and fortune are just a few. But there is one thing I wish for you above all others, to know the joy of having a daughter to smother in love. Happy 40th birthday, love!
265. “Wisdom doesn’t necessarily come with age. Sometimes age just shows up all by itself.” – Tom Wilson
266. “You don’t get older, you get better.” — Shirley Bassey
267. “Hope you have a great birthday. You’re not 40. You’re 39 plus shipping and handling.”
268. “One of the advantages of being over forty is that one begins to learn the difference between knowing and realising”- Gustav Holst
269. We’ll be friends ’til we’re old and senile… and then we’ll be new friends!
270. Sunset on ocean with 40th birthday slogans
271. When I hit my forties, I just started thinking about the past more and wondering about what could have been. Try to avoid doing this because you cannot bring back the past. You cannot get back all the opportunities that you have let slip past you. You cannot bring back all the people that you lost. The more you focus on these things, the more you will feel that you let yourself down in some way. Always look to the future and keep moving forward. Stay in the present and savor each moment. You will be just fine. I love you, son! Happy 40th birthday to you.
272. “Turning 40 is a piece of cake and a few extra candles.”
273. No woman is as accomplished, caring, selfless, and warm-hearted as you. On this special day, I hope you feel half of what you send out to the world every day.
274. Hope you have a blast on your 40th birthday! Just don’t overdo it – at your age, partying too much can be dangerous.
275. “Do you have some spare time in your life? Then maybe this is the right time to start searching for the Fountain of Youth! Happy fortieth.”
276. “Your age isn’t you. Use today to feel your best, celebrate and be your very happiest.” — M. Rivers
277. Be good to me, 40.
278. You might be prehistoric, but at least you’re not extinct! Happy 40th birthday!
279. “Don’t get all weird about getting older! Our age is merely the number of years the world has been enjoying us!”
280. Sending you a hundred wishes so that you get everything you could hope for this birthday. Happy 40th birthday!
281. “Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you’ve got to start young”- Fred Astaire
282. “See age as the gift that it is and you will always be grateful on your birthday.”
283. “40 is when your body gives your brain a list of things it’s not going to do anymore.”
284. “Last year my birthday cake looked like a prairie fire.” – Rodney Dangerfield
285. “Welcome to your 40s. Your gum’s flavor outlasts your chewing stamina now.”
286. Happy 40th birthday to a true troublemaker. Don’t you dare get old on me!
287. “Make sure you live life in a way that when time machines are invented, you can proudly say ‘I don’t want to go back in time because I have lived my life in the best possible way’. Happy 40th birthday.”
288. “Every year of life is a gift, even 40.”
289. “If you don’t get any respect when you’re 40, it means that you’re also a parent.”
290. “If life really begins on your 40th birthday, it’s because that’s when women finally get it… the guts to take back their lives”- Laura Randolph
291. “Welcome to your 40’s. You appreciate handrails now.”
292. “My life is better with every year of living it.” — Rachel Maddow
293. “The best way to remember your wife’s birthday is to forget it once.” — H. V. Prochnow
294. “Today you have added another candle of knowledge and wisdom to your life. May it give you the power to enlighten the whole world. On your birthday, I wish you joy and happiness.” – Debasish Mridha
295. “Congrats on turning 20 for the second time.”
296. Celebrate the 10th anniversary of your 4th birthday
297. “You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred.” — Woody Allen
298. Without you, my life wouldn’t be as complete. Thanks for simply being you, and I wish you nothing but the best as you hit the four-decade mark.
299. “I intend to live forever. So far, so good.” — Steven Wright
300. “You are only young once, but you can be immature for a lifetime.” – Germaine Greer
301. I believe you forgot my birthday present last year, so now I’m returning the favor. Happy 40th, my dearest!
302. “You are only young once, but you can be immature for a lifetime. Happy 40th birthday!”
303. “No matter how hard it is to get out of bed, let 40 be the year you conquer it all.”
304. Best wishes on your 40th birthday – a great milestone for a true gentleman!
305. A decade more and you’ve got half a century of accumulated knowledge and wisdom… that no one needs anyway! Happy birthday!
306. “There were a lot of famous people born on your birthday. Too bad you’re not one of them.”
307. “Happy Birthday! You know, you don’t look that old. But then, you don’t look that young, either.”
308. “The candles on your cake remind me of the encouraging light you shine on all those around you.”
309. “Your birthday is the first day of another 365-day journey. Be the shining thread in the beautiful tapestry of the world to make this year the best ever. Enjoy the ride.”
310. “40 is the perfect age. You’re old enough to recognize your mistakes but young enough to make some more.”
311. I think 40 looks good on me.
312. “Between thirty and forty a man may have reached the height of discretion without having tumbled over the top and into the feather-bed of correctitude”- Arnold Bennett
313. “Your forties are just four you.”
314. “You’re 14,600 days old, but who’s counting?”
315. Funny Turning 40 Sayings
316. Funny 40th Birthday Wishes
317. “Youth has no age.” — Pablo Picasso
318. “Birthdays are good for you. Statistics show that the people who have the most live the longest.” — Larry Lorenzoni
319. “Just wanted to be the first one to wish you happy birthday so I can feel superior to your other well-wishers. So, happy birthday!”
320. “Time to start crossing things off that bucket list.”
321. “Please don’t retouch my wrinkles. It took me so long to earn them.” — Anna Magnani
322. Happy 40th birthday! Oh, and if you wake up feeling like crap tomorrow, it’s not a hangover – that’s just what it’s like being old.
323. No matter how old you get, know that you will always be my baby boy. You may not like it, but sometimes that’s the way the cookie crumbles. Happy birthday to my darling little boy who turns 40 today.
324. Happy 40th birthday to someone who’s awesome at any age.
325. “A birthday is a day to celebrate your achievements, your accomplishments, and your future.”
326. “We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” — George Bernard Shaw
327. Cheers and beers to 40 years.
328. Still fun, foxy, and fabulous at 40. Happy birthday!
329. “You’ve heard of the three ages of man—youth, age, and “you are looking wonderful.” — Francis Cardinal Spellman
330. “I think all this talk about age is foolish. Every time I’m one year older, everyone else is too.” — Gloria Swanson
331. 40 years old is just 10 years old times 4.
332. “May the 40s be with you.”
333. Congratulations on four decades of sheer awesomeness!
334. “40 isn’t that old if you’re a tree…”
335. “Now your twice as fun as a 20-year-old. Just with more back pain.”
336. “Turning 40? You’re never too old to be immature.”
337. “The older you get, the older I feel. So please stop getting older.”
338. “Forty is the old age of youth; fifty is the youth of old age”- Victor Hugo
339. “Forty is the teenage of old age – understand this before it is too late, and start living your life to the fullest. Happy 40th birthday.”
340. You’ve reached that golden age where your train of thought usually leaves the station without you. Happy 40th!
341. “Life’s milestones are not supposed to be counted, they’re supposed to be celebrated.”
342. “You know you’re getting old when the candles cost more than the cake.” — Bob Hope
343. Forty is the new awesome. Happy birthday!
344. Party 40 times! Happy birthday!
345. “The first forty years of life give us the text: the next thirty supply the commentary on it”- Arthur Schopenhauer
346. “You were born and with you endless possibilities, very few ever to be realized. It’s okay. Life was never about what you could do, but what you would do.” — Richelle E. Goodrich
347. Here’s to maturing like fine wine. Happy 40th birthday!
348. “There is still no cure for the common birthday.” — John Glenn
349. “I like birthday cake. It’s so symbolic. It’s a tempting symbol to load with something more complicated than just ‘Happy birthday!’ because it’s this emblem of childhood and a happy day.” — Aimee Bender
350. “40 is fun, fabulous, and absolutely fantastic. It’s your time in the sun.”
351. “To me, old age is always 15 years older than I am.” — Bernard Baruch
352. “A child whose birthday is coming up is so excited, they count down the days. But as we get older we seem to lose the excitement. We need to rethink and be happy we have reached another birthday.” — Theodore W. Higginsworth
353. “Cakes are special. Every birthday, every celebration ends with something sweet, a cake, and people remember. It’s all about the memories.” — Buddy Valastro
354. Welcome to 40, an age when you’re still young at heart, but other body parts are starting to falter.
355. “They say it’s your birthday. We’re gonna have a good time. I’m glad it’s your birthday. Happy birthday to you.” – The Beatles
356. Time is precious, so I’ll keep this short: Happy 40th birthday to the coolest woman I know!
357. Related: 101 Romantic Birthday Wishes For Husband
358. The first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest.
359. Wearing your wrinkles with pride.
360. “Best wishes on your 40th birthday. I’m so proud to have you as a friend… even if you are old.”
361. “As you get older, three things happen: The first is your memory goes, and I can’t remember the other two.” — Norman Wisdom
362. You’re actually only 30—with interest!
363. This year, I wish for even more time together with the greatest person I know. Happy 40th birthday to you, bestie!
364. Lordy, Lordy, look who’s 40! Hope your big day is positively wonderful.
365. “Now that you’re 40 you get to start enjoying colonoscopies.”
366. “At least you’re not as old as you will be next year.”
367. “May you be gifted with life’s biggest joys and never-ending bliss. After all, you yourself are a gift to earth, so you deserve the best. Happy birthday.”
368. “Let us celebrate the occasion with wine and sweet words.” — Plautus
369. “You know you’re 40 when getting lucky means a short wait in the doctor’s office.”
370. Related: How To Know If Someone Is Your Soulmate: 20 Clear Signs
371. “We are always the same age inside.” – Gertrude Stein
372. “When the candles on your cake burn down before they are all lit you know you are getting up there.” – Catherine Pulsifer
373. “Old age is like a plane flying through a storm. Once you are aboard, there is nothing you can do about it.” — Golda Meir
374. “Let’s raise a toast to your 40th. Here’s to prune juice!”
375. “Youth is the gift of nature, but age is the work of art.” — Garson
376. “By your 40s, you don’t want to be with the cool people; you want to be with your people.”
377. 40 is the start of something new!
378. “May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live.” – Irish blessing
379. For years, we’ve been each other’s go-to person. I hope that never changes. Love you, and wishing you all the best on this incredible day.
380. “Take a deep breath and step on through. This is your new chapter.”
381. I hope you always head in the direction of success, my son, and whether it be in life or love, I hope that all your dreams and ambitions come true. Happy 40th birthday!
382. “The older you get the better you get, unless you are a banana.” – Betty White
383. “Forget the past. Look forward to the future. For the best things are yet to come.”
384. “Your birthday is the beginning of your own personal new year. Your first birthday was a beginning, and each new birthday is a chance to begin again, to start over, to take a new grip on life.” — Wilfred Peterson
385. “Welcome to your 40’s. You and the couch are in a relationship.”
386. Happy birthday!! You only look as old as the last selfie you took.
387. 40 is the new 20! Cheers to you!
388. You know, they say that age is really all in the mind. The key is to prevent it from trickling down into your body. Happy birthday!
389. “Feeling over the hill at 40? No worries. Popping bubble wrap turns everybody into a little kid again.”
390. You look good for 40. Scratch that, you look good, period. Happy birthday!
391. “The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate.” — Oprah Winfrey
392. No one would ever guess that you’re 40 years old, and with the right incentive, I won’t tell! Happy birthday.
393. “If your candles cost more than your cake, then definitely you are getting older.”
394. I consent to receiving emails and personalized ads.
395. Beautiful and youthful as ever. Happy birthday to my 40-year-old bestie!
396. “Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter.” – Mark Twain
397. “Go, go, go, go go, go, go, shawty. It’s your birthday. We gon’ party like it’s yo birthday.” — 50 Cent
398. “Middle age is when your classmates are so gray and wrinkled and bald they don’t recognize you.” — Bennett Cerf
399. You are such a positive, charming, and absolutely adorable daughter. I am so proud that I get to call you my daughter because no other person could ever hope to compare to you. Happy 40th birthday to my perfect girl!
400. “In other words, live vicariously, beautifully, and excitingly, discover, love, dare and act as there is nothing to lose.” — Andy Hertz
401. “Happily, at forty-six I still feel as experimental and on the verge of getting at the truth as ever”- Virginia Woolf
402. Birthdays are good for you. Statistics show that people who have the most live the longest! Happy 40th birthday!
403. Don’t grow up… It’s a trap! Oh, you did! Happy birthday, in that case!
404. “Live long and prosper.” — Mr. Spock
405. The birthday girl will love to receive one of these messages. Let her know that you are thinking of her on her special day.
406. It’s not the age, it’s the face! Happy birthday on your 40th year!
407. Best wishes on your 40th birthday! I would make fun of you for being old, but I’m afraid you might toss your dentures at me and hit me with your cane!
408. Happy 40th birthday to the prettiest and most loving woman I know. Today being your special day, my wish for you is that all your dreams come to pass. Have a happy birthday filled with sweet surprises, my friend.
409. “May your makeup conceal your wrinkles, and may your hair dye not fade.”
410. You have been the same awesome person for four decades. Here’s wishing us four more!
411. “Age is a matter of feeling, not of years”- George William Curtis
412. Best wishes to the most magnificent woman in my life. I hope this message brings that stunning smile to your face.
413. “Our birthdays are feathers in the broad wings of time.” – Jean Paul Richter
414. “Cherish all your happy moments; they make a fine cushion for old age.” — Booth Tarkington
415. “Let us respect gray hairs, especially our own.” — J. P. Sears
416. “No woman should have kids over 40. Really, 40 kids is enough.”
417. “Life seems to fade our memory, so on this birthday I will forget yours if you forget mine!” – Kate Summers
418. “A birthday is like a new year and my wish for you, is a great year full of happiness and sunshine!” — Catherine Pulsifer
419. “May the joy that you have spread in the past come back to you on this day. Wishing you a very happy 40th birthday!”
420. “In your 40s you don’t have to drink to feel hungover.”
421. Happy 40th birthday, sweetie! If we gotta grow old, let’s do it together!
422. “Birthdays come but once a year, celebrate and be of good cheer.” — Robert Rivers
423. “Men are like wine: some turn to vinegar, but the best improve with age.” — Pope John XXIII
424. “A birthday is just another day where you go to work and people give you love. Age is just a state of mind, and you are as old as you think you are. You have to count your blessings and be happy.” — Abhishek Bachchan
425. “There is no cure for birth and death save to enjoy the interval.” – George Santayana
426. “How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you are?” — Satchel Paige
427. 40 years old! You’re at the perfect age!
428. If you like these funny 40th birthday sayings, you might also want to check out our full list of Funny Sayings.
429. I can’t keep calm, it’s my birthday.