Thank you to the 1,400 leaders who’ve generously done the 7 questions!
I hope reading
helps you in your leadership.
7 Questions with Kip Knippel
7 Questions with Kip Knippel
Name: Kip Knippel
Current title: President & CEO
Current organisation: KIP Search, LLC
Kip has learned that clients like to have a quarterback or “go-to” person they can talk to about their strategic talent needs. He likes being in that quarterback role for the clients we serve.
The large network of relationships Kip has developed within the Twin Cities and the national business and legal communities, along with his broad technical recruiting expertise, enable him to bring the right resources to help our clients solve their most difficult executive recruiting, talent acquisition and business challenges.
Multiple years while in private law practice, Kip was named a Minnesota Super Lawyers Rising Star. He is a member of the Minnesota State Bar Association and a former Minnesota State Senate candidate.
Kip earned his B.A., cum laude, in English and Communication from St. John’s University and his J.D. from William Mitchell College of Law.
Kip is married with three children, involved in coaching youth athletics, an avid triathlete, marathoner, and fitness & weight training enthusiast.
1. What have you found most challenging as a leader of a small or medium enterprise?
Making the decision to "take the leap" and launch my own company.
2. How did you become a leader of an SME? Can you please briefly tell the story?
After many years in the legal, commercial real estate and executive search space serving national clients, I launched my executive search firm, KIP Search, from scratch and began scaling.
3. How do you structure your work days from waking up to going to sleep?
I've structured 5 days into each of my days.
Day 1: Wake up early and begin KIP Search work
Day 2: Workout--lifting weights, running, biking, swimming (I am an avid triathlete) mid-day/lunch
Day 3: KIP Search work until dinner time
Day 4: Dinner and family time
Day 5: KIP Search work until late at night
4. What's the most recent significant leadership lesson you've learned?
Create an inspirational & aspirational vision for KIP Search that is big enough for my entire team to have their dreams & visions within KIP Search's vision.
5. What's one book that has had a profound impact on your leadership so far? Can you please briefly tell the story of how that book impacted your leadership?
Getting Naked by Patrick Lencioni
"getting naked": being unafraid to show vulnerability, admit ignorance, and ask the dumb questions when dealing with clients.
6. How do you build leadership capacity in an SME?
Solopreneur to scaling business
7. What is one meaningful story that comes to mind from your time as a leader of an SME so far?
The decision to go from solopreneur to scaling the business by building a team was profound, but the best decision I've made thus far after starting the business in the first place.