7 Questions with Massimo Barone
Name: Massimo Barone
Current title: CEO, Chairman & Founder
Current organisation: SmartCard Marketing Sys Inc OTC:SMKG
A Montreal Tech Entrepreneur with expertise in Payment Tech & Fintech. Startup enthusiast with 3 private to public tech Co's over 20 years.
1. What have you found most challenging as a leader of a small or medium enterprise?
There is no clear path to financing or investment.
2. How did you become a leader of an SME? Can you please briefly tell the story?
I was driven to create change in the payment tech sector and I knew I had to do it by being industry specialized first
3. How do you structure your work days from waking up to going to sleep?
I knew that each day had to be filled with meeting people and reaching out until the day they would begin to reach out to me.
4. What's the most recent significant leadership lesson you've learned?
Listening and clearly sharing your passion and it will be contagious. Do not be a boss, be a team player
5. What's one book that has had a profound impact on your leadership so far? Can you please briefly tell the story of how that book impacted your leadership?
I have no specific book but rather I was a fan of magazine articles and business cases: Forbes, Fortune, Money, Economist, Wires, Harvard Review.. constantly. I realized that struggle and chaos is always in the underlying path and that we only focus on the outcome.
6. How do you build leadership capacity in an SME?
I worked closely with my teams and made them part of my strategy and War Room meetings
7. What is one meaningful story that comes to mind from your time as a leader of an SME so far?
Reminding my teams that they were part of something great. During one specific time whereas an Equity fund was trying to take over on several attempts and I always let the team know that they were working for the better of the company and not me.. and they should remain on that path regardless outcome.