7 Questions with Tolga yazıcı
Name: Tolga yazıcı
Current title: partner
Current organisation: tanto capital partners
Dr. Tolga Yazici has over 23 years experience as a CEO, entrepreneur, leader and an academic with full skills on business generation / planning / management and leadership roles by originating, investing, raising capital, leading and exiting several local and international business entities in different fields. Prior to joining Tanto Capital Partners as a Partner, Dr. Yazici had found, led for 10 years, and subsequently successfully exited his investment in Istanbul Ayvansaray University. Prior to this, Dr. Yazici has accumulated extensive accolade and experience across different industries including industrial production, hospitality, real estate development and logistics. Dr. Yazici also held senior positions across various platforms, associations, and foundations; including as a board member for the Young Turkish Businessmen Foundation (TUGIAD), board Member of the Private Universities Association, member of the Foreign Economic Affairs Committee (DEIK), board member of Education Economy Business Council (EEIK), member of the Turkish Exporters’ Assembly Services Exporters’ Association Educational Services, founding board member of Private Label Production Association. Currently Dr.Yazici is a Board of Trustees Member of Foundation “Göz Nurunu Koruma Vakfı” and TAÇ Vakfı (Turkey’s Monument, Environment, Tourism Assets’ Protection Foundation) and a member of YPO (Previously knows as the Young Presidents Organization). Dr. Yazici is also an Associate Professor of Communication at Maltepe University, Istanbul.
1. What have you found most challenging as a CEO or executive of a large enterprise?
2. How did you become a board member of a large enterprise? Can you please briefly tell the story?
Though a network of people that ı got to meet at a filed trip which was organized by International Finance Organization. I was one of the participants of the field trip since IFC was one of my investors
3. How do you structure your work days from waking up to going to sleep?
Breakfast, newspaper, office, plan, work, meetings, exercise, dinner, family time, sleep
4. What's the most recent significant leadership lesson you've learned?
Integrity is the most important asset of a leader and it has to be tested against strong winds.
5. What are some of the keys to doing governance well in a large enterprise?
Listening, empathy, integrity, clarity, persistence
6. How do you differentiate between the role of board member and the roles of CEO or executive team member of a large enterprise?
Board member is there to support and navigate the CEO and team to execute strategy
7. What is one meaningful story that comes to mind from your time as a board member of a large enterprise so far?
The story of me trying to do true and right under great political pressure from government and rejecting to comply with unjust political request that involves human wellbeing. As a result had to exit the business and resign the position to stay true to his own values and institutions wellbeing.