Name: Anthony Owen
Title: Managing Director
Organisation: Finley Group
Experience in public markets as a Director and CEO, capital raising, global expansion, sales management and strategic commercial experience across global and multinational channel distribution, media agency environments, direct-to-market and government.
Thank you to the 2,000 leaders who’ve generously done the 7 Questions on Leadership!
I hope Anthony's answers will encourage you in your leadership journey. Enjoy!
1. What have you found most challenging as a leader?
Being a leader is multifaceted and therefore the challenges are varied. The most challenging aspect of my role is shareholder manager, managing the expectations of clients as we guide them through the capital raise process
2. How did you become a leader? Can you please briefly tell the story?
I have been a career sales person and the opportunity arose to lead a team when I was around 25 years old. It is tough decision to chose between earning a lot of commission versus a salary with a bonus to lead a team with the view I could build a career in management.
3. How do you structure your work days from waking up to going to sleep?
Routine. Mornings revolve around family and school as are the afternoons. For work I run an old school to do list and I am very routine driven. I also allow my diary to run my life. If an appointment is not in my calendar it is highly unlikley I will turn up. Everything I do is focused on revenue
4. What's a recent leadership lesson you've learned for the first time or been reminded of?
I am always remindered of the need to transperant with Investors, Board members and key stakeholders. It has been a while since I had to manage shareholders and transparency is the key to gaining support.
5. What's one book that has had a profound impact on your leadership so far? Can you please briefly tell the story of how that book impacted your leadership?
I dont really read.
6. If you could only give one piece of advice to a young leader, what would you say to them?
Be honest with yourself and your key stakeholders. Ask questions, listen, you dont know everything
7. What is one meaningful story that comes to mind from your time as a leader, so far?
This is a hard one to answer, there are so many. One thing that satisfies me most is when I watch someone grow and learn from me and from the business then leave my business to start their own business. This is always a good story. Let people learn, make mistakes, grow and prosper.