Name: Dr. Muthoka John Muuo
Organisation: AIC KENYA
-Born in 1975
-Saved in 1993
-2boys,2 twin girls
-Hold BTH, completing MA in Religious stories, PhD in Leadership(Hc)
-Servings as High school
Thank you to the 2,000 leaders who’ve generously done the 7 Questions on Leadership!
I hope Muthoka's answers will encourage you in your leadership journey. Enjoy!
1. What have you found most challenging as a leader?
Followers not believing in my vision and dream for the future of the church.
2. How did you become a leader? Can you please briefly tell the story?
I became a leader by observing my mentor lead the church and through training in college. After college I was an opportunity to lead a congregation where my skills have been sharpened. For 12 yrs I have led the church that has planted other two churches. In the year 2022,I was given an opportunity to lead 1535 High school boys, teaching staff and non teaching staff as chaplain.
3. How do you structure your work days from waking up to going to sleep?
-Prepare for work
-Drive to work
-Preach in chapel
-Drive back home
-Go to bed
4. What's a recent leadership lesson you've learned for the first time or been reminded of?
Integrity makes up the leader.
5. What's one book that has had a profound impact on your leadership so far? Can you please briefly tell the story of how that book impacted your leadership?
21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership by John Maxwell.
The book has sharpened my skills and character as a church leader.I have learnt that; Leadership without followers is not leadership at all.That Everything rises and falls on leadership.
6. If you could only give one piece of advice to a young leader, what would you say to them?
You don't rise to the top in a day. It takes patience to be the ideal leader.
7. What is one meaningful story that comes to mind from your time as a leader, so far?
The story of Moses.