Name: Antoinette Beck
Title: Head of Campus
Organisation: Generation Schools Somerset West
29 years in independent education, 20 years in school management, South African passionate educator.
Thank you to the 2,000 leaders who’ve generously done the 7 Questions on Leadership!
I hope Antoinette's answers will encourage you in your leadership journey. Enjoy!
1. What have you found most challenging as a leader?
Balancing the needs of business and the empathetic care of human beings
2. How did you become a leader? Can you please briefly tell the story?
Previous school experience, school quality, and assurance work.
3. How do you structure your work days from waking up to going to sleep?
I go to sleep at 9 pm and wake at 5.30 am. I do not work after 5 p.m. My day is structured differently most days but I always start the day going around classes greeting staff and students.
4. What's a recent leadership lesson you've learned for the first time or been reminded of?
How long it take for staff to trust someone new and how long their memory is of past wrongs?
5. What's one book that has had a profound impact on your leadership so far? Can you please briefly tell the story of how that book impacted your leadership?
Simon Sinek and Brene Brown books. The idea that leaders are vulnerable and should be, was eye-opening
6. If you could only give one piece of advice to a young leader, what would you say to them?
Develop those leadership skills in all directions and NEVER stop learning.
7. What is one meaningful story that comes to mind from your time as a leader, so far?
There are so many, it is hard to isolate any particular one. It's about relationships.