Name: Alexandre Mattos
Organisation: Club Athletico Paranaense
I've been working in top football clubs in Brazil, Palmeiras, cruzeiro, Athletico paranaense, Atletico-MG, as CEO and Sporting Director since 2005.. Chosen 5 times the best sporting director in Brazil.. 5 times brazilian league champion and more others titles.. Gratuated by FIFA, UEFA and CBFacademy... Author 2 books - "Everything starts with a dream" and "More than a game"
Thank you to the 2,000 leaders who’ve generously done the 7 Questions on Leadership!
I hope Alexandre's answers will encourage you in your leadership journey. Enjoy!
1. What have you found most challenging as a leader?
Create an environment of trust and respect where everyone gives their best for the common good
2. How did you become a leader? Can you please briefly tell the story?
Pursuing my dream of being a manager in the football industry... It was a tough path, with an empirical training, always trying to be the best possible and never giving up on my goals even with great difficulties
3. How do you structure your work days from waking up to going to sleep?
Time and experience led me to organize priorities in my agenda and above all, surround myself with trained professionals who are even better than me in some areas, delegating more and managing the environment.
4. What's a recent leadership lesson you've learned for the first time or been reminded of?
A professional in a management position is not necessarily a leader, just as a leader is not necessarily in a management position
5. What's one book that has had a profound impact on your leadership so far? Can you please briefly tell the story of how that book impacted your leadership?
D-Day by Stephen E. Ambrose - The book contains several accounts of aspects of leadership by soldiers on the front line of humanity's greatest battle, such as work under pressure, a common goal, sacrifice for the whole, positive influence in the worst scenarios, support for others, etc.
6. If you could only give one piece of advice to a young leader, what would you say to them?
Take care of people and the work environment
They make up companies
7. What is one meaningful story that comes to mind from your time as a leader, so far?
In 2014 I worked at a big Brazilian football club, Cruzeiro Esporte Clube, and we were champions for the second consecutive year in the Brazilian championship. The most private moment for the athletes is the presentation of the championship trophy to the team captain, symbolizing the delivery to the group of players and the coaching staff. On the day of champion's trophy was awarded, in our stadium with more than 60 thousand people, at the moment of delivery I was surprised by the captain and the athletes on the celebration stage not raising the cup and calling me to make the symbolic gesture... that's it. It was a unique recognition and one of great pride for having been the leader of the project, influencing and managing people to the point of having public recognition from everyone at a time that is not common for these gestures.