Name: Azuike Ugwuezumba
Title: Senior Accountant Executive
Organisation: Crushed Rock Industries Nig Ltd
I am a dynamic person with high develop emotional intelligence with more than a decade diversified experience in finance and accounting, internal control and audit.
Thank you to the 2,000 leaders who’ve generously done the 7 Questions on Leadership!
I hope Azuike's answers will encourage you in your leadership journey. Enjoy!
1. What have you found most challenging as a leader?
2. How did you become a leader? Can you please briefly tell the story?
My employer consider an individual demeanor, carriage and poise. Most time I found my self leading before of my personality. Once I apply as an account clerk but after the interview which geared towards account control. I was ask to head the internal control unit.
3. How do you structure your work days from waking up to going to sleep?
When i wake up, i say my prayers then I dress my bed. I do 30min exercise. Thereafter I go to work by 8am. When I arrived in the office by 8:30am I started reviewing yesterday work and any other matters arising. I worked towards KPI of the month.
4. What's a recent leadership lesson you've learned for the first time or been reminded of?
Due to my Democratic and liberal Leadership styles, i often talk to my subordinates when they are wrong instead of discipline action.
5. What's one book that has had a profound impact on your leadership so far? Can you please briefly tell the story of how that book impacted your leadership?
Emotional intelligence by Daniel Coleman.
6. If you could only give one piece of advice to a young leader, what would you say to them?
I will advise them, they should set a policy and consequences of default.
7. What is one meaningful story that comes to mind from your time as a leader, so far?
It is not easy to influence people to desirable goal when they can't align to the organization goals.