Name: Blake van Aswegen
Title: Hospital Manager
15 years in hospital manager position.
Thank you to the 2,000 leaders who’ve generously done the 7 Questions on Leadership!
I hope Blake's answers will encourage you in your leadership journey. Enjoy!
1. What have you found most challenging as a leader?
Getting people to move in the same direction.
2. How did you become a leader? Can you please briefly tell the story?
I enjoyed developing people and helping people become better at what they doing their job and developing them as people outside of the job. I enjoy being around people and the development of people makes things worthwhile for me. I’ve been involved in training and training in and leading to me go hand-in-hand.
3. How do you structure your work days from waking up to going to sleep?
I’m trying to finish as much as I can in the morning and only look at my email in the afternoon. I try and stay off my phone in the morning as much as possible as that he’s just too usually a hinderance. I try my very best not to take work home because my family life is very very important.
4. What's a recent leadership lesson you've learned for the first time or been reminded of?
Every everything in leadership is influence and to influence you have to do.
5. What's one book that has had a profound impact on your leadership so far? Can you please briefly tell the story of how that book impacted your leadership?
Bible. So many lessons about failed leadership.
6. If you could only give one piece of advice to a young leader, what would you say to them?
Don’t let your ego get In the way of you doing your work to the best of your and your staff’s benefit. Be less about you and more about others and you will go far away.
7. What is one meaningful story that comes to mind from your time as a leader, so far?
You never realise the impact on people until either you leave or they leave and then the impact hit you and an understanding of what you did or did not do becomes a reality.