Name: Francis Leem
Title: Communication and Media leader
Organisation: Seventh Day Adventist Church
I am a volunteer missionary serving as a communication and media leader in my Adventist Church in Papua New Guinea.
Thank you to the 2,000 leaders who’ve generously done the 7 Questions on Leadership!
I hope Francis's answers will encourage you in your leadership journey. Enjoy!
1. What have you found most challenging as a leader?
It is more challenging for me at first on how to lead young people like me at my age, level of education that we have and types cultural background that we came from and how we comprehend others as human beings with smart mindset. But as time goes by I learnt a lot from the elderly people or other senior leader s on how to lead young people. Leadership is how you lead and being an example to others.
2. How did you become a leader? Can you please briefly tell the story?
I became a lead because of how I talk and lead by example. Not just that but I lead out in solving problems which I come up with a suitable solutions for both parties. I never discouraged others but I built them up to be a better citizen of my country or society that we leave in.
3. How do you structure your work days from waking up to going to sleep?
First and for most, when I woke up from bed, I used to pray and commit myself to God, my day's activities, then I when out for doing my work. Either personal commitments or Church commitments. After all my day's work that I did and when I went back home, I used to pray and thank God for guiding and protecting me while I doing my work during the day. I spend sometimes telling stories with my family and then when to bed.
4. What's a recent leadership lesson you've learned for the first time or been reminded of?
One of the beautiful lesson that leant was that, I never argue with the other people when there is a argument that arise between you and them. The other lesson that I leant was that; I lead others by example and not dictating or commanding them to do this and that.
5. What's one book that has had a profound impact on your leadership so far? Can you please briefly tell the story of how that book impacted your leadership?
The very book that inspired to be a leader to lead other people is the Holy Book Bible. It is full of very inspiring stories of Jesus Christ and His Disciples.
6. If you could only give one piece of advice to a young leader, what would you say to them?
As a young leader, to be strong and very courages to lead others, you must lead by example and not dictating or commanding others.
7. What is one meaningful story that comes to mind from your time as a leader, so far?
The story of Lesson Mandela... an African leader who fought to discrimination of black and white people.