Name: Jeff Chiu
Title: Managing Director
Organisation: Balius Capital Limited
24 years as an investment banker and direct investment specialist, Jeff is the founder of the Balius Capital and its group companies including Balius EV Pte Ltd and Qookee Technologies Ltd, Paradigm PE Pte. Ltd. Currently, Jeff leads a slim team representing clients from ASEAN and Taiwan in cross border transactions and is still actively serving the business community through various organizations including the CMBC Christian business community.
Thank you to the 2,000 leaders who’ve generously done the 7 Questions on Leadership!
I hope Jeff's answers will encourage you in your leadership journey. Enjoy!
1. What have you found most challenging as a leader?
To serve everyone with humbleness and without favoritism. To be able to accommodate everyone’s need and their goals through business conducting
2. How did you become a leader? Can you please briefly tell the story?
I’ve been serving in an advisory role to corporations helping them in providing areas of expertise by brining in industry experts to provide services instrumental to client’ success in corporate transformation
3. How do you structure your work days from waking up to going to sleep?
I sleep late from time to time, but manage my own time to work alongside with my small team. I’ve been telling myself to sleep early and wake up early in the morning to spent the first three hours focusing on mapping out the core of the works throughout the day. Til now, I still have not successfully woken up to do so. This will be my priority in the most recent future
4. What's a recent leadership lesson you've learned for the first time or been reminded of?
Learn to be a servant and serve others and that our title means nothing if we don’t treat others equally with love and patience. Little time is given in decision making, discernment is crucial in making executive decisions
5. What's one book that has had a profound impact on your leadership so far? Can you please briefly tell the story of how that book impacted your leadership?
Bible, in everything that the Bible written is filled with required elements of leadership. Like a shepherd looking after the sheep, whether is dealing with partners, clients and associates, the Bible is the best guidance in leadership
6. If you could only give one piece of advice to a young leader, what would you say to them?
Love God and prioritize God! Rely on His might, not on our own might. Be courageous but obedient to His will
7. What is one meaningful story that comes to mind from your time as a leader, so far?
Leading a client to come up with a electric vehicle product facing layers of bureaucracy and politics. We were able to breakthrough by reinforcing our approach while accommodating clients needs to have a tangible progress in a corporate transformation