Name: Kathryn McAuliffe
Title: Director of teaching and Learning
Organisation: Victory Lutheran College
Have worked in Victoria, Australia in education for 35 years. 25 years in the victorian State system and 10 years in the Independent sector. Was a Principal for 17 years and worked as Director of Teaching and Learning for 10 years.
Thank you to the 2,000 leaders who’ve generously done the 7 Questions on Leadership!
I hope Kathryn's answers will encourage you in your leadership journey. Enjoy!
1. What have you found most challenging as a leader?
Work life balance
Staying true to my values
2. How did you become a leader? Can you please briefly tell the story?
I had only been teaching for 5-6 years and my principal suggested I apply for a principal role in a small country school. It started from there - I was only 26 at the time.
3. How do you structure your work days from waking up to going to sleep?
I have never been good at this as I tend to say yes to everyone and have always been poor at establishing work life balance. I have great intentions however. I get to work at 8am and leave at 6pm. I try to have a morning tea and lunch break.
4. What's a recent leadership lesson you've learned for the first time or been reminded of?
It is important to be true to your own values and authentic. If you are not leadership becomes stressful and not at all enjoyable.
5. What's one book that has had a profound impact on your leadership so far? Can you please briefly tell the story of how that book impacted your leadership?
Finding your True North: A Personal Guide. written by Andrew McLean, Bill George & Nick Craig.
6. If you could only give one piece of advice to a young leader, what would you say to them?
Enjoy yourself along the way, spend time with positive people.
7. What is one meaningful story that comes to mind from your time as a leader, so far?