Name: Nilam Lakhani
Title: Group HR Director
With over 15 years of international HR experience from start-ups to multinational companies. A strong leader working with C-Suite businesses.
Thank you to the 2,000 leaders who’ve generously done the 7 Questions on Leadership!
I hope Nilam's answers will encourage you in your leadership journey. Enjoy!
1. What have you found most challenging as a leader?
Getting leaders to understand coaching and it’s benefits
2. How did you become a leader? Can you please briefly tell the story?
Had great leaders and managers as leaders. Growing my
Experience and taking each role as an opportunity and working my hardest and taking each challenge as a welcome opportunity to grow my skills. Being hands on helped me develop.
3. How do you structure your work days from waking up to going to sleep?
I have to do lists, deal with priority and ensure I am ahead and can envisage challenges that would
My way. I spend much time
Coaching and developing leaders.
4. What's a recent leadership lesson you've learned for the first time or been reminded of?
Learning all the time. Give advise around strategy as I saw it and take away was although not my remit I helped the C-Suite to drive this as they were involved in the day to day.
5. What's one book that has had a profound impact on your leadership so far? Can you please briefly tell the story of how that book impacted your leadership?
Person of influence, being ahead of the game and it made me reset my
Mindset ‘how can I influx this person/situation’ at the forefront so that I can lead by example also.
6. If you could only give one piece of advice to a young leader, what would you say to them?
Being patience is important and learning and expertise develops over time. Knowledge is key.
7. What is one meaningful story that comes to mind from your time as a leader, so far?
During turbulent times, being strong and being resilient has helped me develop and succeed.