Name: Norbert Helmke
Title: Program manager
I am an interim manager and have worked for the last 12 years as a project manager/ program manager in various business areas (medical technology, pharmaceuticals, transport, ultra violet light).
Thank you to the 2,000 leaders who’ve generously done the 7 Questions on Leadership!
I hope Norbert's answers will encourage you in your leadership journey. Enjoy!
1. What have you found most challenging as a leader?
To work with new custorms , learn new processes, new culteres, new different characters
2. How did you become a leader? Can you please briefly tell the story?
I startet as mechanical engineer and I have got the chance to take over some projects in the production and have had also an mentor on my side which lead me to get a leader
3. How do you structure your work days from waking up to going to sleep?
I have a to-do list with my open points which i try to close this points asap. Also I have some meetings with teams to see where we are. I write some reports and than you see alos which open points or risk comes up.
4. What's a recent leadership lesson you've learned for the first time or been reminded of?
To learn from your backround and some times it is important to have a good team which can support you.
5. What's one book that has had a profound impact on your leadership so far? Can you please briefly tell the story of how that book impacted your leadership?
The university of life
6. If you could only give one piece of advice to a young leader, what would you say to them?
Be careful and give yourself an overview of your project until you ask somebody
7. What is one meaningful story that comes to mind from your time as a leader, so far?
To have to be not only a leader you have to be a mentor and sometimes a person who give anybody a helping hand