Name: Rocky Aloi
Title: Chief Operating Officer
Organisation: Jim's Group
Rocky Aloi, with 15 years of government agency experience, joined Jim's Group in 2018 as Regional Franchisor for the Handyman Division before becoming Divisional Franchisor for Jim's Mowing in 2019. His innovative thinking has contributed to positive growth after eight years. He is now Chief of Operations for the Jim's Group
Thank you to the 2,000 leaders who’ve generously done the 7 Questions on Leadership!
I hope Rocky's answers will encourage you in your leadership journey. Enjoy!
1. What have you found most challenging as a leader?
Managing conflicting priorities, maintaining a work-life balance, dealing with difficult team members or stakeholders, and keeping up with the rapidly changing business environment.
2. How did you become a leader? Can you please briefly tell the story?
Throughout my career, I have had various opportunities to work with and lead different teams, and each experience has helped me develop my leadership skills. I have also taken training and coaching programs to improve my management and communication skills and stayed committed to learning new concepts and practices that can help me positively impact the teams I work with. Ultimately, I believe that my passion, hard work, and commitment to learning have helped me to become the leader that I am today.
3. How do you structure your work days from waking up to going to sleep?
1. Wrap up loose ends
2. Attend team meetings
3. Review progress and set goals
4. Enjoy downtime
5. Stay connected
6. Keep learning
7. Get enough sleep
Your days can be unpredictable. Stay flexible and adaptable to ensure that you are able to handle any challenges that come your way.
4. What's a recent leadership lesson you've learned for the first time or been reminded of?
My actions and behaviors serve as a model for those I lead to follow. If I want my team to be hardworking and dedicated, I need to demonstrate those qualities myself. Similarly, if I emphasize the importance of open communication and collaboration, I need to show that by being approachable, responsive, and respectful to my team.
5. What's one book that has had a profound impact on your leadership so far? Can you please briefly tell the story of how that book impacted your leadership?
Catch of the decade - Ultimately, the book showed that success doesn't happen overnight.
6. If you could only give one piece of advice to a young leader, what would you say to them?
Best advice I could give to a young leader is to never stop learning. Continuous learning is the key to improving your leadership skills and staying relevant in an ever-changing world. Seek new experiences, take risks, and don't be afraid to make mistakes. Learn from your failures and successes and use them to become a better leader. Remember that leadership is a journey, not a destination, and the more you invest in it, the more you will get out of it.
7. What is one meaningful story that comes to mind from your time as a leader, so far?
Nothing really comes to mind; Each day brings something new.