1. What got you here might not get you where you need to go next. You have to reinvent yourself, reimagine your life.
2. “If you aren’t hungry for God, you are full of yourself.” ~ Mark Batterson
3. Change of pace + change of place = change of perspective
4. “God wants you to get where God wants you to go more than you want to get where God wants you to go.” ~ Mark Batterson
5. God is in the business of strategically positioning us in the right place at the right time.
6. “God is great not just because nothing is too big for Him. God is great because nothing is too small for Him, either.” ~ Mark Batterson
7. Great conflict cultivates great character.
8. “Your greatest legacy isn’t your dream. Your greatest legacy is the next generation of dreamers that your dream inspires—the dreams within a dream.”
9. “It’s not science fiction; it’s fact. It’s not a script; it’s Scripture. It’s not an accident; it’s a divine appointment. Can I make a simple observation? Notice who’s next to you! What you think is a seat assignment might be a divine assignment. The person two inches away may change your destiny, or you might change theirs!”
10. At the end of our lives, our greatest regrets will be the God ordained opportunities we left on the table, the God-given passions we didn’t pursue, and the God sized dream is we didn’t go after because we let fear dictate our decisions.
11. “In God’s kingdom the outcome isn’t the issue. Success isn’t winning or losing; it’s obeying. … In God’s book success is spelled stewardship. It’s making the most of the time, talent, and treasure God has given you. It’s doing the best you can with what you have, where you are.”
12. “The gospel costs nothing. We cannot buy it or earn it. It can only be received as a free gift, compliments of God’s grace. So it costs nothing, but it demands everything. And that is where most of us get stuck — spiritual no-man’s-land. We’re too Christian to enjoy sin and too sinful to enjoy Christ. We’ve got just enough Jesus to be informed, but not enough to be transformed.” ~ Mark Batterson
13. “One of our fundamental spiritual problems is this: we want God to do something new while we keep doing the same old thing.” ~ Mark Batterson
14. You are one idea, one risk, one decision away from a totally different life.
15. If you’re looking for an excuse, you’ll always find one.
16. “All of us love miracles. We just don’t like being in a situation that necessitates one.” ~ Mark Batterson
17. “Valor is less an action and more a reaction. If you judge a person by his or her actions, you’re judging a book by its cover. Reactions are far more revealing than actions. How you react in difficult circumstances is the litmus test of character. And you never really know how you’ll react until you’re the one who crosses paths with a lion. Valor is running toward trouble when everyone else is running away. Valor is going above and beyond the call of duty. Valor is putting yourself in the line of fire for someone else.”
18. “An opportunity isn’t an opportunity if you have to compromise your integrity. It’s the decisions when no one is looking that will dictate your destiny. In fact, your integrity is your destiny! Killing Goliath was an epic act of bravery. Not killing Saul was an epic act of integrity.”
19. “We start dying when we have nothing worth living for. And we don’t really start living until we find something worth dying for” ~ Mark Batterson
20. No one achieved his or her dream without daily disciplines.
21. “We usually focus on what we’re doing or where we’re going, but God’s primary concern is who we’re becoming in the process.” ~ Mark Batterson
22. Faith is claiming out on a limb, cutting it off, and watching the tree fall down.
23. “I’ve discovered that if I don’t take the first step, God generally won’t reveal the next step.” ~ Mark Batterson quotes
24. “The only God-ordained fear is the fear of God, and if we fear Him, we don’t have to fear anyone or anything else” ~ Mark Batterson
25. “Instead of complaining about the current state of affairs, we need to offer better alternatives. […] we need to stop cursing the darkness and start lighting some candles!” ~ Mark Batterson
26. “God is in the business of strategically positioning us in the right place at the right time. Of course, it often seems like the wrong place at the wrong time. But like a grand master who strategically positions his pawns, bishops, kings, and queens, God is setting you up.”
27. “Prayer is the difference between seeing with our physical eyes and seeing with our spiritual eyes.” ~ Mark Batterson
28. “You know why some of us have never killed the giant, chased the lion, or walked on water? We’re afraid of looking foolish. But it’s the fear of looking foolish that is foolish!”
29. Impossible odds set the stage for God's greatest miracles!
30. “Jesus didn’t die to make us safe. He died to make us dangerous.” ~ Mark Batterson
31. “If you want God to do something new in you, you cannot keep doing the same old thing. You have to do something different. And if you do, God will create new capacities within you. There will be new gifts and new revelations. But you’ve got to pray the price. You’ll get out of this what you put into it.” ~ Mark Batterson
32. Gratitude is thanking God after He does it. Faith is thinking God before He does it.
33. Faith is willingness to look foolish.
34. When Jesus walked out of the tomb on the third day, the word impossible was deleted from our dictionary.
35. “As I look back on my own life, I recognize this simple truth: The greatest opportunities were the scariest lions. Part of me has wanted to play it safe, but I’ve learned that taking no risks is the greatest risk of all.” ~ Mark Batterson
36. We live in a culture that celebrates 15 minutes of fame, but God honors a lifetime of faithfulness.
37. “Napoleon Bonaparte made a distinction between two kinds of courage—regular courage and two-o’clock-in-the-morning courage. “The rarest attribute among Generals,” said the Little Corporal, “is two o’clock-in-the-morning courage.”2 Chasing a lion into a pit on a snowy day takes two-o’clock-in-the-morning courage. But that one act of courage completely changed the trajectory of Benaiah’s life. The same is true of you. You are one idea, one risk, one decision away from a totally different life. Of course, it’ll probably be the toughest decision you ever make, the scariest risk you ever take. But if your dream doesn’t scare you, it’s too small.”
38. “Your greatest regret at the end of your life will be the lions you didn’t chase. You will look back longingly on risks not taken, opportunities not seized, and dreams not pursued. Stop running away from what scares you most and start chasing the God-ordained opportunities that cross your path.” ~ Mark Batterson
39. To achieve the highest level of success in any field, you need a high pain threshold when it comes to failure.
40. “I have an unshakable sense of destiny because I know that as long as I pursue God’s calling on my life, then God is ultimately responsible for getting me where He wants me to go.” ~ Mark Batterson
41. “You’ll never be a perfect parent, but you can be a praying parent. Prayer is your highest privilege as a parent. …Prayer turns ordinary parents into prophets who shape the destinies of their children, grandchildren, and every generation that follows. …Your prayers for your children are the greatest legacy you can leave.” ~ Mark Batterson
42. Your greatest legacy is the next generation of dreamers that your dream inspires-the dreams within a dream.
43. “Never underestimate the power of a single prayer.” ~ Mark Batterson
44. The best way to discover your dream is to help other people accomplish theirs!
45. “If you seek answers you won’t find them, but if you seek God, the answers will find you.” ~ Mark Batterson
46. “Fighters don’t walk away when the going gets tough; they fight to the finish for their convictions. Fighters don’t give up when everyone is against them; they fight against the status quo. And fighters don’t shrink back when the odds are against them; they fight for what they believe in.”
47. This book is a call to repentance-repent of your small dreams and your small God. It’s also a dare-dare to go after a dream that is bigger than you are.
48. “Bold prayers honor God, and God honors bold prayers… The bigger the circle we draw, the better, because God gets more glory. The greatest moments in life are the miraculous moments when human impotence and divine omnipotence intersect — and they intersect when we draw a circle around the impossible situations in our lives and invite God to intervene.” ~ Mark Batterson
49. When we failed to take action, we forfeit the future.
50. Don’t let what you cannot do keep you from doing what you can.
51. Goodreads on FacebookGoodreads on Twitter Goodreads on InstagramGoodreads on LinkedIn
52. “If you’re looking for an excuse, you’ll always find one. If you’re looking for an opportunity, you’ll always find one.”
53. “Look in the rearview mirror long enough & you’ll see that God has purposely positioned you everywhere you’ve been-even when it seemed you’d taken a wrong turn.” ~ Mark Batterson
54. “The story God is writing through your life is someone else’s subplot. It was true for David’s mighty men. It’s true for me. And it’s true for you.”
55. “Your dream is more than a dream. It’s a calling. Sure, someone hired you and someone can fire you. But they didn’t call you. God did. And if you forget that fact, you forget why you do what you do and Who you do it for.”
56. “God isn’t offended by your biggest dreams or boldest prayers. He is offended by anything less. If your prayers aren’t impossible to you, they are insulting to God.” ~ Mark Batterson
57. “At the end of our lives, our greatest regrets will be the God-ordained opportunities we left on the table, the God-given passions we didn't pursue, and the God-sized dreams we didn't go after because we let fear dictate our decisions.”
58. Quit complaining about what’s wrong, and do something that makes a difference!
59. Only when the dream is dead and buried can it be resurrected for God’s glory.
60. “Too often the church complains about culture instead of creating it. The energy we spend on criticism is being stolen from creativity. It’s sideways energy. We need fewer commentators and more innovators.”
61. “If we do the little things like they are big things, then God will do the big things like they are little things.” ~ Mark Batterson
62. One small step of faith can turn into a giant leap.
63. “The primary reason we lose faith is because we forget the faithfulness of God. Maybe that’s why the word ‘remember’ is repeated 250 times in Scripture.” ~ Mark Batterson
64. “It’s okay to talk to God about your problems, but at some point you have to flip the script. You need to talk to your problems about God.”
65. Chase the Lion: If Your Dream Doesn't Scare You, It's Too SmallChase the Lion: If Your Dream Doesn't Scare You, It's Too Small by Mark Batterson
66. “Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death.” ~ Mark Batterson
67. “If you don’t have a dream, keep learning while you’re waiting. Get into God’s Word, and God’s dream will get into you.”
68. “God doesn’t always call us to win. Sometimes He just calls us to try. Either way, it’s obedience that glorifies God.”
69. “You may doubt yourself because of your lack of education or lack of experience. But if God has called you, you aren’t really doubting yourself. You’re doubting God. God doesn’t call the qualified. God qualifies the called.”
70. “More often than not, the only thing between you and your dream is a rational excuse.” ~ Mark Batterson
71. “God doesn’t promise us happily ever after. He promises so much more than that—happily forever after.”
72. If your dream doesn't scare you, it's too small.
73. “Have you ever noticed that when you pray, coincidences happen? And when you don’t, they don’t.” ~ Mark Batterson
74. “God doesn’t call the qualified, He qualifies the called.” ~ Mark Batterson
75. “God is not a genie in a bottle, and your wish is not His command. His command better be your wish.” ~ Mark Batterson
76. “Don’t give up on your dream. If you do, you aren’t just giving up on its present-tense reality. You’re giving up on its future-tense potential. Were”
77. The true measure of a gift is what you gave up to give it.
78. I have a theory: your favorite scripture will become the script of your life.
79. Don’t put a period where God put a comma.
80. Faith is taking the first step before God reveals the second step.
81. “Half of spiritual growth is learning what we don’t know. The other half is unlearning what we do know.” ~ Mark Batterson
82. “Each prayer is like a seed that gets planted in the ground. It disappears for a season, but it eventually bears fruit that blesses future generations. In fact, our prayers bear fruit forever.” ~ Mark Batterson
83. “We start dying the day we stop dreaming. And ironically, we start living the day we discover a dream worth dying for.”
84. “Our Heavenly Father is far too wise and loves us far too much to give us everything we ask for.” ~ Mark Batterson
85. “Nine times out of 10, criticism is a defense mechanism. We criticize in others what we don’t like in ourselves.” ~ Mark Batterson
86. “Without it, I’m coasting. With it, I’m gaining momentum”
87. Honor your up line! Empower your downline!
88. “There comes a moment when you must quit talking to God about the mountain in your life and start talking to the mountain about your God. You proclaim His power. You declare His sovereignty. You affirm His faithfulness. You stand on His Word. You cling to His promises.” ~ Mark Batterson
89. “Sometimes the circumstances we’re trying to change are the very circumstances God is using to change us. … Instead of expending all your energy trying to get out of them, get something out of them.”
90. “The more problems you have, the more potential you have to help people. One of the most paralyzing mistakes we make is thinking that our problems somehow disqualify us from being used by God. […] If you don’t have any problems, you don’t have any potential. Here’s why. Your ability to help others heal is limited to where you’ve been wounded.” ~ Mark Batterson
91. “When you open your Bible, God opens His mouth.” ~ Mark Batterson
92. “You are one idea, one risk, one decision away from a totally different life. Of course, it’ll probably be the toughest decision you ever make, the scariest risk you ever take. But if your dream doesn’t scare you, it’s too small.”
93. “Most God-ordained dreams die because we are not willing to do something that seems illogical” ~ Mark Batterson
94. “If you’ve never had a God-sized dream that scared you half to death, then you haven’t really come to life. If you’ve never been overwhelmed by the impossibility of your plans, then your God is too small. If your vision isn’t perplexingly impossible, then you need to expand the radiuses of your prayer circles.” ~ Mark Batterson
95. “Sometimes we’re too focused on getting out of a situation that we don’t think about what we can get out of the situation.” ~ Mark Batterson
96. Destiny doesn’t make appointments.
97. “You don’t need to seek opportunity. All you have to do is seek God. And if you seek God, opportunity will seek you.” ~ Mark Batterson
98. Games aren’t won on game day. Games are won in the weight room, the film room, the locker room.
99. “When God blesses you financially, don’t raise your STANDARD OF LIVING. raise your STANDARD OF GIVING.” ~ Mark Batterson
100. “God blesses us more so that we can be more of a blessing to others.” ~ Mark Batterson
101. “Do you trust that God is for you even when He doesn’t give you what you asked for?” ~ Mark Batterson
102. “Prayer is the difference between the best we can do and the best God can do.” ~ Mark Batterson
103. “Sure, you can choose the safety and predictability of the cage, forfeiting the adventure God has destined for you. But you won’t be the only one missing out or losing out. When you lack the courage to chase the Wild Goose, the opportunity costs are staggering. Who might not hear about the love of God if you don’t seize the opportunity to tell them? Who might be stuck in poverty, stuck in ignorance, stuck in pain if you’re not there to help free them? Where might the advance of God’s kingdom in the world stall out because you weren’t there on the front lines?” ~ Mark Batterson
104. “Most Christians are educated way beyond the level of their obedience already! We don’t need to know more, we need to do more.” ~ Mark Batterson
105. “If you take thirty linear steps, you’re ninety feet from where you started. But if you take thirty exponential steps, you’ve circled the earth twenty-six times!2 Faith isn’t linear. Faith is exponential.”
106. “Faith is unlearning this senseless worries and misguided beliefs that keep us captive. It is far more complex than simply modifying behavior. Faith is rewiring the human brain. We are literally upgrading our minds by downloading the mind of Christ.” ~ Mark Batterson
107. “One way to show someone you love them is to simply go out of your way for them. It’s the gift of inconvenience.” ~ Mark Batterson
108. “And when you pray to God regularly, irregular things happen on a regular basis.” ~ Mark Batterson
109. Download app for iOS Download app for Android
110. “In every dream journey there comes a moment when you have to quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. You have to go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention.”
111. More often than not, what we perceive is a no is really a not yet.
112. “Embrace relational uncertainty. It’s called romance. Embrace spiritual uncertainty. It’s called mystery. Embrace occupational uncertainty. It’s called destiny. Embrace emotional uncertainty. It’s called joy. Embrace intellectual uncertainty. It’s called revelation.” ~ Mark Batterson
113. The size of your dream may be the most accurate measure of the size of your God.
114. “The cure for the fear of failure isn’t success. The cure for the fear of failure is failure in small enough doses that we build up an immunity to it.”
115. “Praying through is all about CONSISTENCY and INTENSITY. It’s ‘all-nighter’ prayer. It just won’t take ‘NO’ for an answer!” ~ Mark Batterson
116. If you want to reach people no one is reaching, you might have to do something no one else is doing.
117. “In my experience, it’s much easier to act like a Christian than it is to react like one. Anyone can put on an act. But your reactions reveal what is really in your heart.” ~ Mark Batterson
118. Imagination is God’s gift to you. A dream is your gift back to God.
119. “Before going wherever God wants to take you next, is there some place you need to go back to? Sometimes the way forward is backward. “The farther backward you can look,” said Winston Churchill, “the farther forward you can see.”3”
120. “Worship is forgetting about what’s wrong with you and remembering what’s right with God.” ~ Mark Batterson
121. “The circumstances we ask God to CHANGE are often the circumstances God is using to CHANGE US.” ~ Mark Batterson
122. “Jesus didn’t die to keep us safe. He died to make us dangerous. Faithfulness is not holding the fort. It’s storming the gates of hell. The will of God is not an insurance plan. It’s a daring plan. The complete surrender of your life to the cause of Christ isn’t radical. It’s normal. It’s time to quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. It’s time to go all in and all out for the All in All. Pack your coffin!” ~ Mark Batterson
123. “If you’re bored, one thing is for sure: You’re not following in the footsteps of Christ.” ~ Mark Batterson
124. Whether it’s a stop doing list or a start doing list, a dream without a to do list is called a wish list.
125. “Because you know He can, you can pray with holy confidence.” ~ Mark Batterson
126. Most people believe God is real, but few people actually live like it.
127. God honors big dreams because big dreams honor God.
128. “coined and collected over the years. Faith is climbing out on a limb, cutting it off, and watching the tree fall down. If doubt is putting your circumstances between you and God, faith is putting God between you and your circumstances. Faith is unlearning your fears until all that’s left is the fear of God. Faith is the willingness to look foolish. And I’ve already mentioned it, but it’s worth repeating: faith is taking the first step before God reveals the second step.”
129. You can’t just pray as if it depend solely on God; you also have to work as if it depends on you. It’s your work ethic plus your prayer ethic that will inch you closer to your dream.
130. “When everything is said and done, God isn’t going to say, “Well said,” “Well thought,” or “Well planned.” There is one measuring stick: “Well done, good and faithful servant!”5”
131. “Just as courage is not the absence of fear, success is not the absence of failure. Failure is a necessary step in every dream journey.”
132. If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.
133. “Whatever you don’t turn into PRAISE turns into PRIDE.” ~ Mark Batterson
134. You fulfill your destiny one opportunity at a time.
135. “God won’t answer 100% of the prayers we don’t pray.” ~ Mark Batterson
136. “Prayer turns ordinary parents into prophets who shape the destinies of their children, grandchildren, and every generation that follows.” ~ Mark Batterson
137. That’s what the mighty men found in David-a cause worth living for, a dream worth dying for. If you don’t have a dream, get around people who do. Dreams are highly contagious!
138. “If you don’t have a dream, get around people who do. You might just catch what they have.”
139. When we operate in faith we aren't risking our reputation. We’re risking God’s reputation!
140. “When we fail to take action, we forfeit the future. And just as inaction is an action, indecision is a decision. As Edmund Burke famously said, “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
141. “It’s much easier to act like a Christian than it is to react like one!” ~ Mark Batterson
142. “Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention.” ~ Mark Batterson
143. “One of the most important decisions you make every single day is what time you set your alarm to go off.”
144. “Vision beyond your resources? Don’t let fear dictate your decisions. If your vision is God-given, it will most definitely be beyond your ability and beyond your resources. The God who gives the vision is the same God who makes provision.” ~ Mark Batterson
145. If you’re looking for an excuse, you’ll always find one.
146. Only when the dream is dead and buried can it be resurrected for God’s glory.
147. “One of our fundamental spiritual problems is this: we want God to do something new while we keep doing the same old thing.” ~ Mark Batterson
148. “When God blesses you financially, don’t raise your STANDARD OF LIVING. raise your STANDARD OF GIVING.” ~ Mark Batterson
149. “Nine times out of 10, criticism is a defense mechanism. We criticize in others what we don’t like in ourselves.” ~ Mark Batterson
150. “The more problems you have, the more potential you have to help people. One of the most paralyzing mistakes we make is thinking that our problems somehow disqualify us from being used by God. […] If you don’t have any problems, you don’t have any potential. Here’s why. Your ability to help others heal is limited to where you’ve been wounded.” ~ Mark Batterson