Name: Dr. Jibran Ali Khan
Title: Founder - CEO
Organisation: JAK Education and Innovation Consultancy | Media Brick
Dr. Jibran Ali Khan is a multiple award-winning InnoTechPreneur, EduPrenuer and freelance journalist. He has a PhD in International Business & Leadership from Washington-USA (Honoris-Causa), an applied MBA in Marketing from Zurich-Switzerland, and a degree in Media Sciences & Journalism from a Bahria University in Pakistan. He also has over 92 certifications in world-leading technologies, such as Innovation, Blockchain, AI, IoT, Cybersecurity, Agile, Remote Working, Entrepreneurship, Communication Skills for Business & IT, Digital Marketing and more.
Dr. Jibran has more than 14 years of professional experience in working with large multinational companies at influential positions. He has created and promoted global businesses and innovative-interactive technologies. He has also established and consulted several start-ups and brands in different industries. He has collaborated with multiple governments and international organizations, such as Internet Society, Future Close Up (THINC FELLOWSHIP), United Nations, Dfinity, International Bullying Prevention Association and International Association of Innovation Professionals. He has worked on various projects related to skill certifications, e-learning technologies, cloud technologies, renewable energy, innovation research, STEM and education counselling.
Dr. Jibran is a highly experienced technical sales professional with a proven track record of success. He has worked with international brands like Microsoft, Certiport, Adobe, Promethean, ELMO, Classlink & Hexnode. He is skilled in digital and hybrid marketing strategies, project management and execution. He can generate sales and deliver exceptional results. He is adept at building and maintaining strong relationships with clients. Dr. Jibran has contributed to capacity building by training over 150,000 individuals all around the globe on various skills and knowledge.
He is currently engaged in equipping youth and businesses with the knowledge and skills to compete in the market. He is also using his valuable international experience to provide overseas education counselling to potential candidates. He is effectively using his journalism skills to bring a positive impact in the society and influence youth and businesses towards preparing themselves for the future industry.
He is working tirelessly towards bringing innovative approaches in different segments of industry via disruptive blockchain technology. Dr. Jibran aims to become a global impact leader soon and be able to bridge gaps via technology. He has a vision of creating a better world for everyone through innovation and collaboration. He is passionate about learning new things and sharing his knowledge and experience with others. He is always ready to take on new challenges and opportunities that come his way.
Thank you to the 2,000 leaders who’ve generously done the 7 Questions on Leadership!
We’ve gone through the interviews and asked the best of the best to come back and answer 7 MORE Questions on Leadership.
I hope Jibran's answers will encourage you in your leadership journey. Enjoy!
1. As a leader, how do you build trust with employees, customers and other stakeholders?
As a leader, I am passionate about building trust with my employees, customers, and stakeholders. I believe that trust is the foundation of any successful relationship, and I am committed to doing everything in my power to earn and maintain the trust of those around me.
I understand that each person is unique, and I strive to approach every situation with empathy and understanding. I pay close attention to detail and always try to provide the best customer service possible.
I believe in being transparent and open in all my communications. I am proactive in sharing information and updates, and I take responsibility for my actions. I own up to my mistakes and work hard to make things right.
I am dedicated to building strong, trusting relationships with all my stakeholders. I know that this takes time, effort, and dedication, but I am committed to the journey. Together, we can achieve great things.
2. What do 'VISION' and 'MISSION' mean to you? And what does it actually look like to use them in real-world business?
As a leader, I am passionate about using my vision and mission statements to guide my decision-making and inspire those around me. I understand that the real world of business can be challenging and unpredictable, and that my vision or mission may face many obstacles. But I am determined to think outside the box and deal with these challenges innovatively.
I know that applied knowledge and practical experience can be very different from theoretical concepts. That's why I use my vision and mission statements as a guide for decision-making. When faced with a difficult decision, I ask myself whether the options align with my company's vision and mission. This helps me stay focused on my long-term goals and make decisions that are consistent with my company's values and objectives.
I also believe in communicating my vision and mission statements clearly to my employees, customers, and stakeholders. This helps build trust and commitment, as well as inspire people to work towards a common goal. By being transparent about my company's vision and mission, I can also educate customers about the benefits of our products or services.
Overall, using my vision and mission statements in real-world business requires flexibility, creativity, and a willingness to adapt to changing circumstances. But I am committed to staying true to my company's values and objectives while also being open to new ideas and approaches. Together, we can successfully navigate the challenges of the business world.
3. How can a leader empower the people they're leading?
As a leader, I have a vision of empowering the people I lead. I believe that by providing opportunities for growth and development, delegating responsibility, and offering mentorship and support, I can help my team members achieve their full potential.
I see a future where my team members are confident and capable, taking on challenging projects and assignments with enthusiasm. I envision a workplace where everyone feels trusted and valued, and where mistakes are seen as opportunities for growth and learning.
By creating a positive learning environment and providing constructive feedback and criticism, I hope to inspire my team members to excel in their roles and achieve their goals. Together, we can build a stronger, more successful organization.
4. Who are some of the coaches or mentors in your life who have had a positive influence on your leadership? Can you please tell a meaningful story about one of them?
I believe that it is important to recognize the common thread that runs through the stories of successful leaders: the struggle. All great leaders have faced challenges, been questioned, doubted, and even stopped in their tracks. But they all carried on, believing in themselves and their vision.
More importantly, they were willing to stop and reevaluate when necessary. They understood the importance of self-evaluation and auditing, whether as a leader or a follower. Believing in leading is great, but it is also crucial to take a step back and assess whether you are truly leading or simply dragging others along.
This willingness to reflect and adapt is a key factor in the success of any leader. It takes courage, determination, and humility to acknowledge when things are not working and make the necessary changes. But those who do so are able to overcome obstacles and achieve great things.
So let us celebrate not only the successes of great leaders, but also their struggles and their willingness to learn and grow. For it is through these challenges that true leadership is forged.
5. Leadership is often more about what you DON'T do. How do you maintain focus in your role?
As a leader, I understand that leadership is often more about what I don't do than what I do. It is important for me to maintain focus on my role and responsibilities. Here are some effective tips that help me maintain my focus:
1. **Set clear priorities**: One of the most crucial parts of keeping focus as a leader is setting clear priorities. Without a firm direction, the overwhelming sea of tasks and responsibilities can easily distract me, leading to a scattered approach and lost focus. Starting with identifying key objectives is the way I set clear priorities.
2. **Follow a daily routine**: I follow a daily routine that helps me maintain focus, energy, and productivity throughout the day so that I can smoothly address every task on my agenda and any issue that arises.
3. **Cultivate emotional intelligence**: Focusing inward and focusing constructively on others helps me cultivate the primary elements of emotional intelligence. A fuller understanding of how I focus on the wider world improves my ability to devise strategy, innovate, and manage organizations.
By following these strategies, I am able to maintain my focus on my role and responsibilities, and effectively lead my organization towards success.
6. If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Everyone plans differently. How do you plan for the week, month and years ahead in your role?
As a leader, I understand that planning is crucial for success. However, in the current social, economic, and political circumstances in my locality, it is simply not possible to plan for the short or long term ahead. There is so much instability and unpredictability that traditional planning techniques are no longer effective.
Instead, I have adopted a more flexible approach. I use a sprint planning system with multiple lines of action that can change as needed. This allows me to adapt to changing circumstances and respond quickly to new challenges.
I believe that this approach is more effective than relying on old, traditional techniques. By being flexible and adaptable, I am able to navigate the uncertainty and instability of my environment and achieve success despite the challenges.
So while it is true that failing to plan can lead to failure, it is also important to recognize that planning itself must be flexible and adaptable. By embracing this mindset, I am able to lead my organization towards success even in the face of uncertainty.
7. What advice would you give to a young leader who is struggling to delegate effectively?
As a young leader, delegating effectively can be challenging. Here is some advice that I would give to a young leader who is struggling to delegate effectively:
1. **Learn to trust**: Trusting your team members to take on important tasks and responsibilities is crucial for effective delegation. This not only helps them develop their skills, but also shows that you have confidence in their abilities.
2. **Evaluate positively**: When evaluating the work of your team members, focus on their strengths and achievements, and provide constructive feedback to help them improve.
3. **Teach and mentor**: Provide guidance and support to your team members as they take on new tasks and responsibilities. Share your knowledge and experience, and help them develop their skills.
4. **Let go**: Understand that you cannot do everything yourself, and that delegating tasks to others is essential for achieving success. Learn to let go of control and trust your team members to do their jobs.
5. **Recognize the consequences**: If you continue to struggle with delegation, eventually you will fail. It is important to recognize the consequences of not delegating effectively, and take steps to improve.
By following this advice, a young leader can learn to delegate effectively, build trust with their team members, and achieve better outcomes.