Name: Aditya K Mehta
Title: Chief Financial Officer
Mr. Aditya K Mehta is a multi-award winning senior strategic business development and finance leader, with functional experience across both primary and support activities of the value chain of businesses whether it be Sales, Marketing, Finance, Risk, Operations etc. for more than 2 decades.
Currently, he serves as the Chief Financial Officer in Orion Group, one of the large privately held groups in Bangladesh. Orion is a leader in the renewable energy domain and one of the largest independent power producers in the country. Aditya likes to be termed as the Chief Future Officer since his skills are beyond business development & finance and extend all the way to Digital Business transformation, Data Analytics and Strategy too. Prior to Orion, he has worked with the likes of TVS, Citibank and Cargill having gained experience with global MNCs as well as family owned business organizations.
Thank you to the 2,000 leaders who’ve generously done the 7 Questions on Leadership!
I hope Aditya's answers will encourage you in your leadership journey. Enjoy!
1. What have you found most challenging as a leader?
The tug of war between doing the right things , doing things rightly and appearing do the same in the right way.
2. How did you become a leader? Can you please briefly tell the story?
I was elected School Captain by my batchmates democratically. That is how the journey commenced. I was one of the most hardworking students in the batch and the students admired the way I helped everyone during a project show in the school.
3. How do you structure your work days from waking up to going to sleep?
6+8+10 = 8 hours of sleep/rest; 10 hours of work; 6 hours of family time and sundry
4. What's a recent leadership lesson you've learned for the first time or been reminded of?
I am reminded of one of JFK’s many quotes: “Ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country”. Similarly in order to stay focused and productive daily, “ask not what your company can do for you – ask what you can do for your company”. Every individual can be a leader in an organization in her own way.
5. What's one book that has had a profound impact on your leadership so far? Can you please briefly tell the story of how that book impacted your leadership?
START WITH WHY by Simon Sinek. It posits that people dont truly buy into a product, service, movement or idea until they understand the WHY behind it. The book touches upon a range of real life stories and Simon is able to weave together a clear vision of what it takes to lead and inspire
6. If you could only give one piece of advice to a young leader, what would you say to them?
If you want to see the rainbow, you have to put with the rain. This has been my mantra for growth, development, and success in corporate life.
7. What is one meaningful story that comes to mind from your time as a leader, so far?
Be sincere - dont fake your emotions but be in control of them. Emotional Intelligence is key