Name: Amber Cruz
Title: Case Aide/Youth Leader
Organisation: Reformed Church Of Highland Park And Trinity Lutheran Church
I’m Amber Cruz and right now I’m working with families and youth at two churches helping them apply for health care and register their kids for school and helping with the youths at another church. I do this because I like to help people and think it’s really important to care about others in life.
Thank you to the 2,000 leaders who’ve generously done the 7 Questions on Leadership!
I hope Amber's answers will encourage you in your leadership journey. Enjoy!
1. What have you found most challenging as a leader?
What I have found most challenging is seeing the challenges that people go through for myself and helping them overcome them.
2. How did you become a leader? Can you please briefly tell the story?
I became a leader by finding out information to share with others and sharing my experiences on social media so others could read them and understand what I know.
3. How do you structure your work days from waking up to going to sleep?
I wake up and usually have some time before work. Then, I go to work and when I come home I have time to shop or clean or get anything I need done. The, I have dinner, relax and eventually go to bed.
4. What's a recent leadership lesson you've learned for the first time or been reminded of?
I’ve learned that I have to work hard to get everything done as a leader while also taking time for self care.
5. What's one book that has had a profound impact on your leadership so far? Can you please briefly tell the story of how that book impacted your leadership?
Cornel West books, Toni Morrison books, my dad Dr. Samuel Cruz’s books and one of his friends Felipe Luciano’s books impact my leadership because they have to do with social justice and religion which are topics that impact my leadership.
6. If you could only give one piece of advice to a young leader, what would you say to them?
I would say to always follow your heart and do what’s right because you never know what’s going to happen but it’ll work out.
7. What is one meaningful story that comes to mind from your time as a leader, so far?
One meaningful story was when I helped someone at Catholic Charities a job I used to work at.