Name: Andrew Shangarai Jumanne
Title: Principal Serjeant-At-Arms
Organisation: Parliament Of Kenya
Currently a PhD candidate awaiting for graduation in December 2023
Thank you to the 2,000 leaders who’ve generously done the 7 Questions on Leadership!
I hope Andrew's answers will encourage you in your leadership journey. Enjoy!
1. What have you found most challenging as a leader?
Dealing with difficult people
2. How did you become a leader? Can you please briefly tell the story?
Was spotted by an instructor and became a squad leader in my paramilitary training from there henceforth I have been in leadership engagement
3. How do you structure your work days from waking up to going to sleep?
Time for exercise is by waking up at 5.00AM for morning run
Time for work is from 8.30AM to 5.00PM with exception in late working hours
5.00PM to 9.00PM is for refreshing the mind and doing classical works including academia.
4. What's a recent leadership lesson you've learned for the first time or been reminded of?
Leadership is basically service for humanity and there is leadership that comes with a title and another without a title.
5. What's one book that has had a profound impact on your leadership so far? Can you please briefly tell the story of how that book impacted your leadership?
Its a book that I came across recently, "A leader without a Title".
6. If you could only give one piece of advice to a young leader, what would you say to them?
My advice is simple, just to observe the rules of work and ravel for service to humanity.
7. What is one meaningful story that comes to mind from your time as a leader, so far?
Leadership is a privilege to serve those in your possession.