Name: Eric Markovsky
Title: Managing Director
Organisation: Gracestone group
Eric is an experienced SME investor and business growth enthusiast. Alongside his dedicated team, he collaborates with entrepreneurs, founders, and CEOs to boost shareholder value and uncover new business prospects.
Thank you to the 2,000 leaders who’ve generously done the 7 Questions on Leadership!
I hope Eric's answers will encourage you in your leadership journey. Enjoy!
1. What have you found most challenging as a leader?
One of the most challenging aspects of leadership, in my experience, has been balancing the diverse needs and expectations of my team members. Every individual comes with their unique strengths, weaknesses, and aspirations, and as a leader, it's essential to create an environment that fosters collaboration and growth while addressing these differences. Finding the right approach to motivate and inspire each team member can be a complex task, but it's a challenge I find both rewarding and essential for the success of the team and the organization as a whole. Additionally, adapting to rapidly changing business landscapes and staying innovative in a competitive market has also been a continuous challenge that requires agility and forward-thinking strategies.
2. How did you become a leader? Can you please briefly tell the story?
At first, I was operating as a sole proprietorship as a sports trainer, so as I expanded the scale of our business, and I had no desire to become a corporation. However, I believe that a corporation is just a vessel, and that it is necessary to properly deliver its services and products to the world.
3. How do you structure your work days from waking up to going to sleep?
Becoming a leader was a journey that evolved over time through a combination of education, experience, and personal development. It wasn't a single event but rather a series of steps that brought me to this role.
I started my career in the business world with an eagerness to learn and grow. I focused on gaining valuable experience, which provided me with a comprehensive understanding of how different parts of the business functioned. Alongside my work, I actively sought out leadership opportunities, such as leading projects and teams, which allowed me to demonstrate my leadership potential.
To further my education and leadership skills, I surrounded my self with high achievers, with individuals who have the same vision as I do have. The one’s who are a business sharks. They take you to absolutely different mindset and next level. These experiences helped me refine my leadership style and strategies.
Ultimately, my journey to becoming a leader was marked by a combination of dedication, a commitment to personal growth, and the ability to seize opportunities when they arose. It's been a fulfilling and ongoing process of self-discovery and development.
4. What's a recent leadership lesson you've learned for the first time or been reminded of?
One of the essential leadership lessons is the importance of effective communication and listening. Even in the face of challenges or uncertainty, keeping open and transparent communication with your team and stakeholders and business owners is crucial. It fosters trust, allows for better problem-solving, and ensures everyone is aligned toward common goals.
Leaders must not only convey their vision clearly but also actively listen to the concerns and feedback of their team members. This two-way communication helps in building strong relationships, promoting a positive work environment, and ultimately achieving success as a team.
5. What's one book that has had a profound impact on your leadership so far? Can you please briefly tell the story of how that book impacted your leadership?
Can't Hurt Me is a book by David Goggins, a former Navy SEAL and ultramarathon runner. It's filled with stories of his relentless pursuit of self-improvement and mental toughness.
The impact of this book on leadership lies in its emphasis on the power of the human spirit to overcome adversity and push through physical and mental limits. Goggins' story inspires me to adopt a "can't hurt me" mindset, encouraging them to confront challenges head-on, embrace discomfort, and continuously strive for self-improvement.
Goggins' story serves as a reminder that leadership is not just about guiding others but also about leading oneself with unwavering determination and resilience. This mindset can be a valuable asset for any leader facing adversity or seeking personal and professional growth.
6. If you could only give one piece of advice to a young leader, what would you say to them?
Allow me to unveil my seven Pillars of Success, the guiding principles that have shaped my journey:
* Embrace 'Go for No': Success often lies on the other side of rejection. I welcome 'no' as a stepping stone to 'yes.'
* Lean on the Power of Asking: I believe in the strength of seeking help relentlessly. The more we ask, the more we learn and grow.
* Embrace Exponential Failure: Failure is not a setback but a setup for progress. I embrace it, knowing that each stumble propels me forward exponentially.
* Harness Persistence and Repetition: Consistency is the key. I persist and repeat, mastering my craft over time.
* Conquer Struggles Through Completion: To break free from struggle, I commit to finishing what I start. Completion is liberation.
* Build a Circle of High Achievers: I surround myself with those who inspire and challenge me. Together, we elevate our achievements.
* The Art of Relentless Repetition: I engrain success through unwavering repetition. I understand that true mastery comes from never giving up.
These Pillars are the compass guiding me through the labyrinth of life, pushing me towards constant growth and fulfillment.
7. What is one meaningful story that comes to mind from your time as a leader, so far?
One meaningful story that comes to mind from my time as a leader is the inspirational journey of Tim Cook, the CEO of Apple Inc. His leadership has had a profound impact on me and many others in the business world.
What inspires me about Tim Cook's leadership is his unwavering commitment to Apple's core values. He's not just focused on profits but also on making a positive impact on the world. Under his leadership, Apple has taken significant steps toward sustainability, diversity and inclusion, and ethical supply chain practices.
Tim Cook's dedication to principles, ethics, and his ability to lead with a strong sense of purpose have taught me the importance of staying true to one's values as a leader. He has shown that it's possible to lead a global tech giant while making a positive impact on society and the world at large.