Name: Samten Wangchuk
Organisation: Minjey Middle Secondary School, Bhutan
Citizenship ID No. 11515000504
Position serve: Principal
Thank you to the 2,000 leaders who’ve generously done the 7 Questions on Leadership!
I hope Samten's answers will encourage you in your leadership journey. Enjoy!
1. What have you found most challenging as a leader?
Convincing the difficult people
2. How did you become a leader? Can you please briefly tell the story?
I was initially trained as a teacher and worked in one of the lower secondary schools. After completing my Master program, I served as a Vice Principal for 8 years and then was selected as a Principal through open competition
3. How do you structure your work days from waking up to going to sleep?
I prioritise the day's program and also look at the daily schedules. Any program or activity that need special attention are given due importance and implement accordingly.
4. What's a recent leadership lesson you've learned for the first time or been reminded of?
The strategic leadership lesson that I learnt in the RIGSS program has really helped me.
5. What's one book that has had a profound impact on your leadership so far? Can you please briefly tell the story of how that book impacted your leadership?
The book called "Leaders Eat Last" by Simon Sinek really inspired me a lot. It taught me what a leader should be doing and to be a leader one must always lead by example and always be the last to leave the work station and so on.
6. If you could only give one piece of advice to a young leader, what would you say to them?
To be a best leader, one must know about leadership of self.
7. What is one meaningful story that comes to mind from your time as a leader, so far?
The team work and collaboration is found to be one of the key components in the leadership.