Name: Olukayode David-Chris
Title: Assistant Pastor in charge of Province
Organisation: The Redeemed Christian Church of God
I was born in September 4th 1964 in Oyo State Nigeria to Pa Nathaniel and Evangelist Comfort Adebayo. I became a born again Christian in February 3rd 1980 at Wusasa, Zaria, Kaduna State in my Senior Secondary School Class 4. I am married with 4 children. I am a full time pastor in the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Port Harcourt and Lagos
Thank you to the 2,000 leaders who’ve generously done the 7 Questions on Leadership!
I hope Olukayode's answers will encourage you in your leadership journey. Enjoy!
1. What have you found most challenging as a leader?
Working with other leaders. It's do amazing how leaders change their attitude when they assume position of authority. Leading followers is less easier than working with certain leaders. Greed, selfishness, envy, jealousy, pride and wickedness will suddenly take over these leaders.
2. How did you become a leader? Can you please briefly tell the story?
I became a Pastor and started first as a Minister, that is, a junior pastor. Then, I started climbing the Leaders cadre from a lower lever to higher until I am what I am today.
My secular Education Certificates and Christian Religious certificates and several training and conferences attended also help in boosting my upward movement in leadership position.
3. How do you structure your work days from waking up to going to sleep?
On waking up,I observed my Quiet Time moment of devotion to the Almighty God individually and with my family members.
Then, I go to my office to Carry out my daily duties. Then retire to my house after the day's work.
I spend the rest time with my beloved wife and children.
Listen to some News, both local and international.
Them do my Quiet Time again and later retire to bed
4. What's a recent leadership lesson you've learned for the first time or been reminded of?
There is a great difference between a secular/Public Administrator and an Apostolic Administrator that has to do with my calling and juridiction.
That a leader must adapt to DIGITAL STRATEGIES and become ICT compliant, and to move away from analogous structures and functions.
5. What's one book that has had a profound impact on your leadership so far? Can you please briefly tell the story of how that book impacted your leadership?
How to influence people
6. If you could only give one piece of advice to a young leader, what would you say to them?
Identify your area of calling, vocation or profession, get all the necessary training and education, start early, and grow up in it. Get your goals in life, make necessary plans on how to reach or achieve your goals and Be well focused.
7. What is one meaningful story that comes to mind from your time as a leader, so far?
Early and necessary preparations is vital to progress and success in life's journey. Never be distracted. Be focused