Name: Col Chukwu Ogukwe Obasi
Organisation: Institute of Healthcare Marketing of Nigeria
Col Chukwu Ogukwe Obasi PhD is a seasoned leader with insight into what makes great leaders. He has authored 2 great books. One on leadership principles for Military Comanderswhile the other is on Public Relations for Healthcare Organisations. He has spoken as keynote speaker in various fora. Chukwu believes that Great leaders are made, consciously made. He therefore invests so much on himself as his mantra is on life long learning.
He believes that one has to 'do more than paid' He also believes that 'You can't lead me unless you love me' In the part of the world he comes, people believe in hurting people the leader. He is presently exploring the place of love in leadership.
Chukwu retired from the Nigerian Army after attaining the enviable rank of Colonel. Presently he founded the Institute of Healthcare Marketing of Nigeria with the vision of seeing healthcare practitioners put more efforts in changing patients lives better. Chukwu can be reached through [email protected].
Thank you to the 2,000 leaders who’ve generously done the 7 Questions on Leadership!
We’ve gone through the interviews and asked the best of the best to come back and answer 7 MORE Questions on Leadership.
I hope Col's answers will encourage you in your leadership journey. Enjoy!
1. As a leader, how do you build trust with employees, customers and other stakeholders?
Leaders should lead with love. When leaders lead with love, trust is developed. Leaders should also lead with shared vision and not only me matter mindset
2. What do 'VISION' and 'MISSION' mean to you? And what does it actually look like to use them in real-world business?
Vision is the long haul of things me and my team will want to achieve. While mission is how we will achieve the vision. Mission may be personal or group but vision is the future
3. How can a leader empower the people they're leading?
Leaders empower those they lead by pouring themselves into those they lead. Equip them well and you will empower them
4. Who are some of the coaches or mentors in your life who have had a positive influence on your leadership? Can you please tell a meaningful story about one of them?
My Coaches are many but i will try and reduce them. They include the following: The bible. This has been an incredible source of daily Coach to me.
My Pastor Bishop David Oyedepo
My Father and my Mother
Ler Kuan Yew that great Singapore leader.
They are so many great authors that i have learned from and still learning from
5. Leadership is often more about what you DON'T do. How do you maintain focus in your role?
Keeping my perspective right is important in maintaining focus
6. If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Everyone plans differently. How do you plan for the week, month and years ahead in your role?
I set goals with my family at the end of every year. We keep everyone on our toes. We have family goals, and personal goals. It has been a wonderful experience.
7. What advice would you give to a young leader who is struggling to delegate effectively?
Do it and have the confidence and trust that it will not fail. Keep an eye on who you delegate as management is doing things through and with people. Don't distance yourself from the task but give responsibility please